Just ordered microphones for my drums! What do you think?

Zorlee

Hi, everyone!
Well, I just took my first step towards my up and comming home recording studio! :)
I just ordered the following mics:

1 x Audix D6 (Bassdrum)
1 x SM57 (Snare)
2 x Studio Projects B1 (Overheads)

What do you guys these choises? Did I spend my money on good gear, or did I just throw money out the window?
I think I did the right thing though... I wanted to avoid those Drum mic packs, with lots of mics that are not that good anyway..

I'm also going to buy a Yamaha AW1600 Digital harddisc recorder. Do you guys think the mics will fit the Yamaha? Any experiences with drum recording on the Yamaha AW1600? Or anything about the AW1600 in general?

Thank you guys for your help in advance!
I'm new to this home recording world, but I would really want to get some good results, but I'm not the richest man on earth, hehe :p

(And please excuse my bad english, I'm norwegian you know :))

for the price its a really solid setup. I love the d6, and the 57 is pretty good too and can be used on alot like the b1s (although i have never used b1s i have head alot of good things ) the yamaha unit does have 8 inputs so the mics can all plug into it. i cant really offer advice on its purchase i only have experience with the boss 8 tracks and i prefer my desktop daw(but i do different bands so i need versatility and accosianally find 16 tracks limiting)

Last edited:
No experience with the Yamaha, I'm a DAW-only kinda guy!

The mic choices are just fine. I don't personally like the D6 for kick, but It'll work. The sm57, as always, will sound great on snare, and the stereo B1's will be killer for overheads. Once you have those LDC's in the right places over the kit, you can get some pretty good sounds. Not to mention, the B1's are pretty useful for many tasks; vocals, cab ambiance miking, etc. Plus, a 57 is a time-tested piece of equipment that will come in handy all the time. Good luck!

aww comeon everyone loves the d6. sure you dont get as much to work with as you would with say a d112, but as long as you want the one sound its good for it does all the work for you .... so umm yeah maybe alot of people dont like it, but i like it..... and according to my therapist... thats all that matters hehe ;) (haha no really though i think the d6 is an awsome mic as long as its really specific sound is the one you want)

I use a Yamaha Recording Custom '89 model. My current setup:

8" tom, 10" tom and 16" tom (Yeah, the sizes might seem weird, but I love them)
A Medium 20" ride, A Custom 15" crash and a 17" K Custom fast crash! (All zildjian, if you didn't find out till now :p)

So I don't think the drum gear will be to bad, but the tunng on the other hand... I need to get better at that!

yeah i think with all of that your ganna get a good sound ... unless ofcourse you just really mess thing up :D but congrats on the mics and good luck

Back