Just Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack1031953

Hi all. My name is Jack. I am a musician and my gig venue is retirement homes.

I've been doing it 8 years and would like to get into recording for 3 reasons:

1. I would like to post clips of my guitars on Acoustic Guitar Forum.
2. My mother is 79 and lives a few states away. Since I do mostly music from her generation, I would like to be able send her songs.
3. I would like to make CDs, sell them for a couple bucks and give the proceeds to the different ministries we have at church.

Here is what I have so far; Studio One 3 Artist Version, I have a Blue Yeti and sound pop in route.

I want to get the shock mount for Blue Yeti, a deskmount arm for the microphone, and a pair of headphones.

Anyone who has some suggestions on shock mount, deskmount arm, or headphones, feel free to suggest.

Also, I will have a ton of questions about Studio One if anyone is familiar with it?

Thanks,

Jack

Hello Jack and welcome..
Ho dear! Just as we got one guy straightened out re USB mics, here we go again. There must be some bloody good salesmen around!

First up, you need an Audio Interface. This will handle any microphone you are likely to come across. "Proper" mics have connectors on their bases called "XLR" and you connect them to an AI (or mixer or preamp) with an XLR to XLR cable.

Secondly, most of the recording experts here (I am not one, just a mere electronics tech) will tell you that you really need TWO mics to do justice to an acoustic guitar. This is not "stereo" (tho you can go that route) but picking up the string sound at about the neck/body join and the "body" tone when you aim the mic at the bottom bout.

So, sell the Yeti and look at the sticky list of AIs. I can recommend the Steinberg UR22, many like the Focusrites but take the 2i4 as the starting point.

Studio One? I have a few questions too! Like "why did it crash my main music computer?" Seriously I must get around to trying the freebie again. And err? What, does "sound pop in route" mean please?

Dave.

2nd the recommendation for a floor stand with boom. A desk-mounted stand is going to transfer any sound from the desk - the whirring of your hard drive from your computer sitting on that desk, for example - through to your mic. Not to say that floor stands can't have the same problem. I had one of those heavy metal disk-base stands with an SM57 on it that picked up the hum of the fridge in the next room!
Headphones - for tracking, almost any closed-back style will do. Not really recommended for mixng purposes - a decent set of monitors is better - along wit hacoustic treatment (bass traps) in your mixing room.
If you've asked these questions already at the AGF, never mind (I think you have already), but the 'CDs you're going to sell' - if you're doing cover songs, you need to pay for the rights, which aren't too expensive.

2nd the recommendation for a floor stand with boom. A desk-mounted stand is going to transfer any sound from the desk - the whirring of your hard drive from your computer sitting on that desk, for example - through to your mic. Not to say that floor stands can't have the same problem. I had one of those heavy metal disk-base stands with an SM57 on it that picked up the hum of the fridge in the next room!
Headphones - for tracking, almost any closed-back style will do. Not really recommended for mixng purposes - a decent set of monitors is better - along wit hacoustic treatment (bass traps) in your mixing room.
If you've asked these questions already at the AGF, never mind (I think you have already), but the 'CDs you're going to sell' - if you're doing cover songs, you need to pay for the rights, which aren't too expensive.

What are cover songs?

All this help...................

Hello Jack and welcome..
Ho dear! Just as we got one guy straightened out re USB mics, here we go again. There must be some bloody good salesmen around!

First up, you need an Audio Interface. This will handle any microphone you are likely to come across. "Proper" mics have connectors on their bases called "XLR" and you connect them to an AI (or mixer or preamp) with an XLR to XLR cable.

Secondly, most of the recording experts here (I am not one, just a mere electronics tech) will tell you that you really need TWO mics to do justice to an acoustic guitar. This is not "stereo" (tho you can go that route) but picking up the string sound at about the neck/body join and the "body" tone when you aim the mic at the bottom bout.

So, sell the Yeti and look at the sticky list of AIs. I can recommend the Steinberg UR22, many like the Focusrites but take the 2i4 as the starting point.

Studio One? I have a few questions too! Like "why did it crash my main music computer?" Seriously I must get around to trying the freebie again. And err? What, does "sound pop in route" mean please?

Dave.

Yeti shockmount >>> Blue Radius II Shockmount for Yeti and Yeti Pro USB 4678 B&H

I would probably recommend a floor stand with a boom, rather than a deskmount arm, unless there is some compelling reason to desk mount the mic.

I've used these headphones for a long time and they've done well for me >>>> Sony MDR-7506 Headphone MDR-7506 B&H Photo Video

And don't double post threads... the old people don't like that at all.

...and this is all you have to say??????

What are cover songs?

Amazing. What's even more amazing is that people are actually going to continue to help you. Not me, but people will. :eek:

Generally songs that are written and performed by another artist. For example if you sing/play and use some songs that were done by The Eagles, those would be cover songs. If you write and perform your own material, those are your songs and not "cover" songs.

In a nutshell, songs that were written by someone else?

I do all kinds of old music, but all of it was written by and, at one time, recorded by someone else.

All this help...................

...and this is all you have to say??????

Amazing. What's even more amazing is that people are actually going to continue to help you. Not me, but people will. :eek:

I think I can wade through this without your ego and expertise!

I think the point Rami is making, is that you seem unresponsive and ungrateful to the help you've received.

You are a new guy, one who no one knows, and has contributed nothing to this place.

Many come here and other places with a sense of entitlement, just expecting to be a recipient of help.

It doesn't work that way. No one owes you a damn thing. People have taken thier precious time to not only read your questions, but to offer advice from experience. At bare minimum, you could reciprocate with a thank you.

Being snarky, and bringing Jesus into the thread will not help you.

The people that took the time to freely offer advice are being more charitable and Christian than you.

At least have the decency to say thank you.

Ps. It reminded me of an old bumper sticker.

It read: "Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you're an asshole"

Closing this one for renovation.

I'm inclined to agree with Rami's core point, but maybe a little too much shit got slung (each way) in this thread chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back