johnny cash mic

rightbrainnow

does anybody know if there was a particular mic used on johnny cash's voice?...or, what mic would you use if you had to record mr. cash? what about barry white?

Well if you're not Johnny Cash, but you want to sound like him, I'd recommend something with a big fat proximity effect.

Starting out, in the studio? A Neumann U47.
Later in the studio? A Neumann U67 or U87.
On stage? Whatever was hooked up to the house PA.

Last edited:
Harvey Gerst said:
Starting out, in the studio? A Neumann U47.
Later in the studio? A Neumann U67 or U87.
On stage? Whatever was hooked up to the house PA.

If I remember right, in "Walk the Line" they showed him cutting his first tune ("Folsom Prison Blues", not "Cry Cry Cry", oddly enough) at Sun using Shure 55s on everybody :eek:

Guess they blew the budget on Reese's salary and couldn't afford to rent the Neumanns :D

In the Movie you might notice that most all of the Live on stage stuff was useing the same Type of mic in most all Scenes....

The mic looked like a Old Chrome plated EV mic and had that sleek 50"s outerspace shape to it.....I can not remember the model of mic it was but I rescently saw a couple that looked exactly like it for sale on e-bay for quite cheap but I didn"t know if they were still working (Not Tested) so i didn"t bid on them but I should have cuz I could have used the Bodies for building one of my own.....

You Gotta love that Johny Cash though, They sure don"t write music like that much any more.....

:)

Well, wont nobody sound nothing like Johnny, no matter what mic you throw up there, but I know the RCA ribbons were used a lot too. I am quite the JC addict, having been a fan since a very young age..probably the biggest fan there ever was of him...yes, the u87, u47, and u67 were used quite a bit, and I have also heard tales of a C24 used on his voice.

Minion said:
The mic looked like a Old Chrome plated EV mic and had that sleek 50"s outerspace shape to it.....I can not remember the model of mic it was but I rescently saw a couple that looked exactly like it for sale on e-bay for quite cheap but I didn"t know if they were still working (Not Tested) so i didn"t bid on them but I should have cuz I could have used the Bodies for building one of my own.....

It seemed to me they tried to be pretty accurate with the live shows, they started the movie with various ribbons, then moved from the 55s on to the EVs. I found one of those EVs in a box in the back of the audio closet at my church, it was beat up pretty bad, and the connector (Amphenol I think) was busted too, I had resupplied the cabinet with some Shures of mine, but I couldn't do much with the EV :( Looked cool though. On the plus side, they had a couple of vintage 12AX7s, no sign of whatever they were for, as the hall had a modern-ish Peavey powered mixer :confused:

Back