John Hardy Pre's and Manley Pre's

Altruist

I was taking a good long look and wanted to see what some of you guys thought of these pre-amps on vocal applications. Specifically these three and specifically for rap...

LANGEVIN Dual Mono Mic Preamp With EQ
MANLEY Mono Mic Pre
Jensen Twin Servo 990 Single Channel Mic Preamp

Now I haven't touched or heard any of these mic pre's I am just curious about them and their flavours.

damn, this is homerecording.com. We use behringer and only behringer shit. And maybe a few shure 57s.

fenix - do I see your tongue pokin thru your cheek there ? :D

I do tend to see someof hi-end gear that comes across these pages from time to time - good to establish the top end I suppose, eh ?

hahaha...Nice fenix...I got a friggin presonus blue tube currently so if you want to converse about doorstop pre's I am all over that...But the bank made a mistake and lent me some money. soooo I wanna spend it on something worthwhile. I was also checking the Avalon 737 over at mercenary...

Altruist said:
LANGEVIN Dual Mono Mic Preamp With EQ
MANLEY Mono Mic Pre
Jensen Twin Servo 990 Single Channel Mic Preamp

Now I haven't touched or heard any of these mic pre's I am just curious about them and their flavours.

Well, the Hardy's are very clear and realistic; mostly uncolored. The Langevin's have a reputation for being versatile.

I wouldn't kick either one out of my rack, but use some judgement. These are some pretty professional tools, and it might be overkill if you're just a hobbyist . . . or if you're like me and not charging a whole lot for your time.

Yeah I understand what your sayin Chess...But this would pretty much be my pre...I wouldn't have like 5 or 6 of these beasts. Just one really nice one and move on. So I am checking around. Its in dream phase right now...I am thinking of investing in some real traps first and foremost cause I have no where to home build and my room acoustics are brutal..

What do you intend on recording? What style of music? What instrumentation? How many simultaneous sources?

my fave vocal pre is the a designs mp-2. it also comes in a one channel version known as the mp-1. i know the guy who engineers the black eyed peas and a lot of hip hop artists loves this pre.

for rap, i might be inclined to go with a great river mp-2nv. there is something about that neve 1073 flavored sound on rap. dr. dre uses neve 1073s. the great river mp-2nv started out in design based on the neve 1073.

i have both of these mic pres and very highly recommend them.

get the twin servo...it seems like it would be the most versatile as a vocal mic since its clean and transparent

but i have never used any of these so i could be talkin out my ass :D

The twin servo looks nice due to the fact you can add to it. I was likin that aspect a lot. Wish I had the coin to grab all three and the designs one too. Haha ohhh only in utopia.

Geoff

I haven't seen much mention of the Trident strips: The S20 and S40. I've heard some great feedback on these units. Does anyone know much about them?

Jeff

I had a 4 Channel John Hardy M1 not too long ago.

The easiest way to describe these things is clean. They really dont color your sound in anyway. This can bee good, and this can be bad. If you dont have the source sounding good theres no way to fake it with these.

These wouldnt be my number one choice unless youve built up a good variety of other mic pres to support it. I dunno how much they are running for right now, but i know that for alot less money you could get a better variety of preamps (and more channels).

Its kind of like buying a $3000 microphone when all you have already is SM57s. Its completely pointless. its much better to buy a variety of microphones. But when you already have the variety of microphones, and your ready to step it up to the next level of quality, then i feel it would be worth paying that much money on a microphone if you can afford it.

Danny

Back