Joemeek Twin Q. Noisy? Or am I just a brick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
alanhyatt said:
Supercreep,

Over 400 twinQ's have been sold worldwide to date since its release in January. Six absolute stunning reviews in three countries have been written, and many professional recording studios now own the new twinQ. The only complaints on the AES/EBU we know about so far have been from you. Since the replacement unit did not solve the problem, we need to look at the digital chip on the digital board to see if in fact it has failed on the AES/EBU legs.

Is it possible the digital chip supplier we use has supplied us with a bad component. Components do fail. We have just not heard about the problem. We have a toll free phone number. It is ....1-877-563-6335. Call me!!!!

We will pick up your unit and get it back here so we can test it. One of the guys at 8th Street already bought the unit you sent them back, so we never saw it. So again, we have no idea if there is an isolated problem with this or not.

If there is an issue, we will solve it, but without the unit, we can not do anything about it. I am sorry for the trouble you are having. We do not do this intentionally as DJL would have you all believe. These things do happen, and as manufacturers, we must relay on the components we implement into our products to be stable and reliable. Sometimes these components fail. When they do, we get the blame and not the component manufacturer.

You did not see DJL call the digital chip manufacturer a lemon, he called Joemeek a lemon. This of course is a tribute to his ignorance and continued smear compaign.

Our tech support is second to none. We stand behind all of our products 150%. Just call me at that toll free number on Monday and we will make arrangements to resolve this issue. Call Me!!!!
For the record...

We do not do this intentionally as DJL would have you all believe.

I never said you did... I don't even believe that myself.

You did not see DJL call the digital chip manufacturer a lemon, he called Joemeek a lemon.

Of course I didn't call the digital chip manufacturer a lemon, I look at the whole product, not the parts in it... that's your job. But, every company sells a lemmon or two... so don't be so hard on yourself.

alanhyatt said:
It seems Dragon has no objections to the manner I am conducting myself, and obviously he has no objections to your continued harrasment either. :mad:
That's not what I asked you... I asked you... why is PMI-AG conducting warranty business on hr.com rather than on the PMI-AG website? I mean, think about it... why?

Oh, and I bet Dragon does care, but most likey just hasn't seen it yet... but don't worry, he will.

Anyway... I've told crazydoc I'm going to keep my ass down and ears up... so that's what I'm going to do again for a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, so, what I'm just going to do is just drop a post saying that I'm not going to post in this thread again. I'll say something about the fact that I'm a reformed character and so I'm not going to post in this thread. Nuh-huh. Nada. No more posting from me in this thead. Especially not in the near future. Nope.

Unless .... of course .... ah heck, I'll be back tomorrow once I've found some more fuel for my vendetta. :mad:

Spoke with Justin @PMI

They expect to get it up on the bench sometime today. Justin says he'll keep me posted.

/taps fingers/

Is it tomorrow yet?

:)

Brent Casey just called....

So far the unit won't give him the same problems it was giving me. He's going to see if he can't test it on a MOTU 896HD at GC.

I hope this problem can be resolved.

:)

You've been very patient... way more patient than most people... so I hope PMI-AG takes very good care of you Supercreep... after all, it's been over a month now (since 02-24-2005). I hope you've had another preamp to work with all this time. Who knows... maybe they'll give you free C4's or something for being such a good sport about it. Anyway, good luck, and best wishes.

I'll be happy if the product can be made to work or if I'm able to exchange it for one that does.... I'm impatient, obviously, but my time isn't worth any more than anyone elses (less, probably). I appreciate the help PMI has given me and I don't want to act like I think I'm the most important customer in the world. By posting here, I'm certainly not angling for free mics, and I don't want Alan or PMI to think I am.

;)

Just my 2 cents worth about the folks at PMI -

As a former dealer for their products, I was always pleased with their customer support. I always fealt like I was dealing with this tiny operation that cared about each and every sale and customer, which is rare these days. Only problems I ever experienced were backorders, which means the products were selling facter than they could make them! They were even extremely patient when my shop was on its way down and couldn't keep caught up, which is also rare. They gave me the benefit of the doubt, unlike some of the big companies (that generally only care about their GC accts and such).

As for handling customer support issues in this forum, nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Customers should generally contact the manufacturer directly via email or phone for support, but I think it's a real testiment that this customer's problems were addressed on any BBS. Try getting that one-on-one with a big company like Roland or Tascam. Forget it! They'll ignore you until you jump through their endless hoops, even through proper channels.

I'm new around here (been a lurker for a while), so I don't know all the players on the field, but I do find it pointless to continue a general-bash against anyone for the sake of bashing. PMI seems to be handling this situation the right way (and posting the problem to their BBS or any BBS is probably not the fastest way of getting support). I hope they keep up the good work!

Neelix

DJL said:
I hope PMI-AG takes very good care of you Supercreep... after all, it's been over a month now (since 02-24-2005).

To set the record straight, we issued an ATR for this on 3/23/05 and just got the unit at our warehouse yesterday on the 28th. Since then, we have called Casey about his unit once or twice. That is excellent service and support.

So far, our tests do not show anything wrong with two other AES/EBU interfaces we tested it with so far. All is working just fine and dead quiet...Could be a Motu issue, and we have gone out of our way to call Motu to see if we can find out why there seems to be an issue with only their unit. Until we have a Motu in our hands we wont know.

What gets me bent out of shape is DJL makes sure he lets everyone know by his comments or indications in this and his past posts on this matter that the Joemeek was a lemon, and that its been a month since we have had the unit....

If any of you are interested in the progress of this, then don't read into DJL's propaganda against our company. Ask Casey, or us how it is going. At least that way you will get the truth.

Well the cat's out of the bag, I guess :D

Everyone at PMI has been helpful, as have the folks here at HR. I keep saying that, and I mean it, even though I'm an unmitigated asshole in the Cave. DJL has been one of a few people who have been very helpful to me here at HR - so don't think I'm slagging him. I understand the argument DJL makes, even if I don't think it's justified in all cases. I think it's a moot issue in this particular instance, and right now this is the only instance I care about. I don't think anyone reading this thread can be tricked or manipulated into thinking anything about it except the facts. About the facts one can make up their own mind: I had a problem; Folks here and at 8th Street tried to help me twice, and PMI is looking into the issue for me. There's no subtext here. I don't get it. What's the problem? - No, don't answer, I don't want to drag this thread further afield than neccessary.

Nobody "spammed" me into buying the unit or replacing it with an identical unit the second time. I'm aware now that perhaps my MOTU dosen't like to talk digital-style with the twinQ. It may only be two MOTU units in the whole world that have this problem, I don't know. What I do know is there isn't anyone from fuckin' MOTU calling me at work to let me know that they're concerned about making sure their product works as advertised,and you can take that to the bank.

I've been keeping this thread alive as I get updates because I think some people want to know how it turns out. Maybe that's not such a great idea, after all. It wasn't like I wasn't warned.

Alan- don't worry about what DJL says. Really. I like how the twinQ sounds -lots of folks do. I don't think anyone considering this unit for it's features should be scared away by the vanishingly small chance they're going to have a problem - as far as I know it's just me. Thanks for checking the unit out for me, and please extend those thanks to Justin and Brent - they've been helpful and sociable about it. I truly appreciate it. And thanks for posting here, too.

-Casey

Casey,

I believe DJL enjoys slagging us and our products and is willing to lie to get his way. He makes claims he has no knowledge about, and that gets me mad. I know, let it go, but HR is a big BBS. New people come here all the time and are exposed to products by what people say about them. They do not need to be led to think our products are lemons as a result of a personal grudge, especially when they are not. Nor should they be led to believe we have been sitting and doing nothing for you for a month, when we haven't.

We will and always will go the extra mile, even if we end up having to buy a Motu. We have put the call into Motu, and I hope they will call us back. I am sorry they have not called you, but you can count on our complete attention to this matter.

There should be no reason the Motu should not work, unless there is some weird thing you need to do inside the sub menu for it not to talk properly to the twinQ. As you know, the twinQ does work with other products in AES/EBU, so there has to be a setup or menu issue with the Motu.

We will get to the bottom of it

Our discussions are constantly being monitored by marketing entities.

alanhyatt said:
What gets me bent out of shape is DJL makes sure he lets everyone know by his comments or indications in this and his past posts on this matter that the Joemeek was a lemon, and that its been a month since we have had the unit.…
No, I said to Supercreep “You've been very patient... way more patient than most people... so I hope PMI-AG takes very good care of you Supercreep... after all, it's been over a month now (since 02-24-2005)." Look at the starting date of this thread “02-24-2005”. Supercreep has been having problems with your Joemeek TwinQ’s for over a month.
alanhyatt said:
You did not see DJL call the digital chip manufacturer a lemon, he called Joemeek a lemon.
Of course I didn't call the digital chip manufacturer a lemon, I look at the whole product, not the parts in it... that's your job. Is this a PMI-AG quality control (QC) issue… or did Supercreep just get two lemons… I don’t know, you tell me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

alanhyatt said:
If any of you are interested in the progress of this, then don't read into DJL's propaganda against our company. Ask Casey, or us how it is going. At least that way you will get the truth.
alanhyatt said:
I believe DJL enjoys slagging us and our products and is willing to lie to get his way. He makes claims he has no knowledge about, and that gets me mad. I know, let it go, but HR is a big BBS. New people come here all the time and are exposed to products by what people say about them. They do not need to be led to think our products are lemons as a result of a personal grudge, especially when they are not. Nor should they be led to believe we have been sitting and doing nothing for you for a month, when we haven't.

We will and always will go the extra mile, even if we end up having to buy a Motu. We have put the call into Motu, and I hope they will call us back. I am sorry they have not called you, but you can count on our complete attention to this matter.

There should be no reason the Motu should not work, unless there is some weird thing you need to do inside the sub menu for it not to talk properly to the twinQ. As you know, the twinQ does work with other products in AES/EBU, so there has to be a setup or menu issue with the Motu.

We will get to the bottom of it
Now this is where you and I are going to tangle. Give me a moment to cool down and collect my thoughts…

Ok... I've got some other business that I need to attend too here in the office... So; I'm going to have to get back to this later. However, before I leave I'd like to say... I feel hr.com members should be able to say how we feel about a product without interference from the dealers, manufactures, or from professional audio distribution companies, etc. I will comment about this and some other important issues later when I have more time.

Last edited:
DJL said:
I feel hr.com members should be able to say how we feel about a product without interference from the dealers, manufactures, or from professional audio distribution companies, etc. I will comment about this and some other important issues later when I have more time.

I respectfully request that you start another thread to pursue that line of thought. I'm sure it will be a successful thread all on it's own - I would appreciate it if you were to not use this particular thread as a launching point for such a discussion.. this thread is about the TwinQ and it's digital connections - and is increasingly becoming about the MOTU 896HD as well. All the questions you raise about PMI QC as they relate to this issue will become clear over time. I recommend patience.

Supercreep said:
I respectfully request that you start another thread to pursue that line of thought. I'm sure it will be a successful thread all on it's own - I would appreciate it if you were to not use this particular thread as a launching point for such a discussion.. this thread is about the TwinQ and it's digital connections - and is increasingly becoming about the MOTU 896HD as well. All the questions you raise about PMI QC as they relate to this issue will become clear over time. I recommend patience.
Ok, that can wait for now, I'm patient... so back to the Joemeek TwinQ.

So far, what we have learned about the intolerable Joemeek TwinQ AES/EBU output noise is…

1) It wasn’t another meter problem this time.

2) The problem wasn’t a faulty digital chip or board as originally thought possible (unless it’s an intermittent problem that the PMI-AG repair shop hasn’t found yet).

3) The Joemeek TwinQ should be compatible with the MOTU 896HD… but it hasn’t been tested.

Hmm, and there was something else... hmm.

Anyway... I'll patiently wait the updates.

Last edited:
noises....

I'm test drivin' a Joe Meek, old VC1Q 2000.
theres this like RUSSSSSSHHHHHH noise,
when there is no intended sound going in???? when no music is going.

If i just sit quiet, this Noise creeps from quiet to loud and seems to
keep getting louder like a RailTrain coming at you...
rrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUSHSSSSSSSHHHHHHH noise?
like its amplifying my air conditioner fan noise??or auto-amplifying whatever the mic heres to a certain level.

is this the same noise the thread is about?

very strange. Happy with it, but some concern if this is just my
expertise at setup or a "probelm unit specific".

Coolcat,

No, the noise you are hearing has nothing to do with this thread. This thread concerns a digital noise that so far is only happening on the Motu when using AES/EBU. DJL is just spreading panic where he can.

The new Joemeek has received nothing but glowing reviews so far. Not one professional has had a complaint with noise or the way it sounds.

Unfortunately this threads issue only seems to happen with the Motu, and we will get a resolve to it once we deal with Motu. Your issue is another thing altogether.

My best guess is your unit is suffering from DJL Syndrome. :eek: This is when any unit we have anything to do with is according to DJL either a lemon, or how did he say it...intolerable. Don't worry, the only intolerable lemon filled with noise around here is DJL :eek: , so there is still some hope for your VC1Q. :)

Why don't you e-mail me at alan@pmiaudio.com and we will see if we can help you....

Holy green lemons batman... thank God it's Friday.

alanhyatt said:
Coolcat,

No, the noise you are hearing has nothing to do with this thread. This thread concerns a digital noise that so far is only happening on the Motu when using AES/EBU. DJL is just spreading panic where he can.

The new Joemeek has received nothing but glowing reviews so far. Not one professional has had a complaint with noise or the way it sounds.

Unfortunately this threads issue only seems to happen with the Motu, and we will get a resolve to it once we deal with Motu. Your issue is another thing altogether.

My best guess is your unit is suffering from DJL Syndrome. :eek: This is when any unit we have anything to do with is according to DJL either a lemon, or how did he say it...intolerable. Don't worry, the only intolerable lemon filled with noise around here is DJL :eek: , so there is still some hope for your VC1Q. :)

Why don't you e-mail me at alan@pmiaudio.com and we will see if we can help you....
Grow up Alan... you're the head spokesman for PMI-AG... at least try to pretend you're a professional CEO.

Anyway, back to the noisy Joemeek TwinQ AES/EBU output problems.

Alan Hyatt said:
we will get a resolve to it once we deal with Motu.
Bummer... that could take days, weeks, or even longer if they don't like you.

Why, because you got a Motu 896HD and your repair tech can’t figure it out… or is this because you're hoping Motu will loan you a 896HD for testing so you don't have to buy one?

What does the "P", "M", and "I" stand for in PMI Audio Group?

Last edited:
DJL said:
Grow up Alan... you're the head spokesman for PMI-AG... at least try to pretend you're a professional CEO.

Grow up DJL; try to remember you're an adult with the capacity for rational thought.

DJL said:
Bummer... that could take days, weeks, or even longer if they don't like you..?

Innuendo - definitely your strength.

DJL said:
Why, because you got a Motu 896HD and your repair tech can’t figure it out… or is this because you're hoping Motu will loan you a 896HD for testing so you don't have to buy one?

More innuendo - now you are really reaching. The depths you will sink to in order to make a non-existent point are stunning.

DJL said:
What does the "P", "M", and "I" stand for in PMI Audio Group?

More inane badgering.

I've reported your posts DJL and I hope others will do the same.

BTW, do us all a favor and run a spell checker on your signature line.

DJL said:
Bummer... that could take days, weeks, or even longer if they don't like you.

I was cc'd on an email from MOTU tech Josh Hetrick to Alan Hyatt re: the 896HD. It was sent Thursday March 31 at 2:49 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back