Is this normal?

Flurrdles

Hi!
I just purchased a new condenser microphone, and when shutting off the phantom power, there is a strange, pulsing, ear deafening sound happening. The gain meeter on my soundcard is going nuts as well. Is this normal? I know that the pop when turning on the phantom power is nothing strange, but I tried finding any information about the shutting off noise without luck. I'm worried it is damaging my microphone, or that there's a problem with my sound cards phantom power?

Answers would be much appreciated!

Yeah, I'm thinking turn down the gain first. We know that from loose guitar cords and guitarists who lick them up and just start to plug them in without looking to get the sound man's attention. If the sound is coming from the speakers (as opposed to a pain in the butt friend who keeps making noises whenever you switch something on. We had a guy who loved to do that to interns.) It's more likely to hurt the speakers unless it is the result of a power surge of some kind. I've never had this happen on phantom power before...ever. You might have that checked out.
Rod Norman
Engineer

Thank you both for the answers! Sounds like it could be normal then, it is a Neumann TLM102 microphone. I'll take the certain before the uncertain though, and listen to Rod's advice to have it checked out in the shop just in case!

Back