Is there anything wrong with using the recording compensated outputs?

I wasn't real sure where to put the compression. So I VST'd the mains taking a stab in the dark. REAcomp at low ratio. Using the -3db mix.

I made 8 or so renders at different levels. Do these sound authentic? Or would a VST model sound near the same?

Last edited:
I'm lost. Which virtual instrument? I thought it was a new real guitar? Sounds pretty decent for a simulation of a guitar. The three you posted all sound similar. If I like one better, I'd be guessing.I'm just unsure what it is you have done that we're listening to? Drums and a guitar - a fairly meaty one - plenty up top and down the bottom. It doesn't sound like anyone I can think of in particular. Do you like it?

I'm lost. Which virtual instrument? I thought it was a new real guitar?
Yes its real. Real amps. All this time. In all recordings . That was the thing I wanted. Amps, mic's , the room. It seems my process wasnt right. So the Suhr is taking the place of cabinet and microphone. The rest is real hardware.(EZdrummer)

Sounds pretty decent for a simulation of a guitar.
Rich , had me researching online what reactive load boxes and impulse responses were.

It seems the Suhr reactive load uses resistive, capacitive, and inductive elements to create a analog model....So is the Suhr output a 'model' then? If so, a VST modeler might be able to copy what's happening. For free?
Do you like it?
Yes, I could not get this much from mic placement.

Last edited:
I wanted to show what it did for the vocals. The levels were a little funky. If I keep the PA real low, you think it will be fine? PA M1400 output 8ohms is 250 watts. Suhr has a 100 watt 8 ohm limit. If I run the PA at 1/8- 1/4 power at the mains, you think it will be fine? What kind of curve does the power ramp up at?

Wow , I hear the PA fan.

Last edited:
Here is what the Suhr reactive load does with a Fantom X keyboard and the PA speaker outs. Just doodled for a few minutes. It sounds powered. Albeit mono, and that hurts a stereo Fantom.

Titanic power, but it buzzes and then pops when I hit it hard. Even with the mains at 1/4 power. It will need a smaller power amp to balance right. The bass was the same way, then I used my small GK with 100watt 8 ohm output. It can balance perfectly with the Suhr. So that max input spec is important. Capturing vocals through it is a mess, you can hear the PA fan. It amplifies the exact tone area of the fan buzz perfectly . I need a PA with no fan. Then I could pull off some tender, sensitive microphone stuff.

Last edited:
Anybody have a suggestion for a small rack power amp with NO FAN? Rated under 100 watts at 8 ohms.

Like a Alesis Reference 100 or a Samson Servo 120. I don't know anything about those other than power rating. Are they ok?

Ha, Reverb suspended my account.

Ah, well, while im waiting. Here is a multi instrument balancing attempt. All from the speaker out. Does this seem like I'm in the right direction? Still raw recordings. No VSTs. The EZ drummer has built in compression that I havent figured out how to defeat yet. Or is it ambience. The instruments sound fat enough. I need to get the drums better. Then start utilizing the effect VSTs.

Want more 'out of time' Suhr Reactive examples?

Out of synch, bad. I shift my focus to drums and timing, and the latency is annoying as hell.

No that is worse.

Last edited:
You can't defeat 'compression' in EZD - the compression is used on the recording of the samples. I've never found the need to add any external compression to EZD, but I have all drums sent to individual tracks and always mute the 'room' sound, adding my own reverb.

I want it to automatically stay in time. Perfect layering of tracks like a tape recorder.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Back