Is there a doubling plugin for GB iOs or Mac?

ejb

I would like to apply a doubling effect, post recording, to vocal tracks on GarageBand. Is there a GB app for that? I have been trying to use a few Delay plugins to get the job done but they sound tinny, lacking in warmth and depth. Any suggestions of an app that is specifically for voice doubling?

Hmm, looking more into this it may not work:

iZotope plug-ins are not compatible with GarageBand. We strongly recommend upgrading to Logic Pro or another supported host application. While you can insert most iZotope software on a GarageBand track, most advanced features will either cause a crash or have limited functionality.

However, as it is a rather simple AU plugin (hence theoretically compatible), it's worth trying. I'm guessing it's their more advanced (mastering etc) plugins that may not work.

Reactions: ejb
Hmm. I can give it a try - running latest Sonoma on Apple silicon.

[p.s. edit] Just installed the latest GarageBand (not installed by default anymore!) and after adding the Vocal Doubler plugin to my system, it shows up and can be added to a track. Didn't see any crashes, but didn't fool around with it much. Not sure what the warning is about, because the latest GB seems to be a wrapper around Logic's platform.

Last edited:
Are you just trying to thicken something? You could try setting up a delay and setting one side untouched and the other with a short delay and perhaps some modulation.

Garage Band is fairly limited as to what you can do.

Are you just trying to thicken something? You could try setting up a delay and setting one side untouched and the other with a short delay and perhaps some modulation.

Garage Band is fairly limited as to what you can do.
I have done the thickening trick with delay and it is doing fine. I a seeking a doubling effect for post recording to turn it on/off to see how it does with a singer's voice. I have an effects device with doubling that does well, but it comes from a pre DAW device so I can't remove it once there.
Coming from reel to reel sound on sound > 4 track cassette > stand alone Fostex > GarageBand Mac M2 and iPad GB with Focusrite I/0 has been a long road from 60s to now and GB is probably my last place in home recording.

Last edited:
Hmm. I can give it a try - running latest Sonoma on Apple silicon.

[p.s. edit] Just installed the latest GarageBand (not installed by default anymore!) and after adding the Vocal Doubler plugin to my system, it shows up and can be added to a track. Didn't see any crashes, but didn't fool around with it much. Not sure what the warning is about, because the latest GB seems to be a wrapper around Logic's platform.
Just did a GB update (arrived today) to my Mac M2 Sonoma, will go for the iZotepe AU doubler and report back. Update: It works and the freebee version gives a bit of control over the amount of doubling effect, just enough for my purposes. My little MacBook Air takes a couple seconds of weird to get the processing done but is okay. The doubling controls were not present on a second vocal track I put the plug in to but like magic appeared by closing and reopening the project.

Last edited:
When added to the list of plugins for a vocal track, three things may happen. 1. No control for it. 2. A set of three controls appear, or 3. One control with a toggle switch appears with one knob for amount of doubling only. Maybe there is some timer on the free download that stops it from working after try out period.

Update. I attempted to reach iZotope for help with the download. Their support email address no longer takes emails. Their advised route to the website for support is down. The Doubler download has no manual listed under manuals. Attempting to get any support results in a message that they are working on restoring access to support.

Hmm... That's strange...

It's supposed to be a free plugin. It does require an authentication after a certain "demo" amount of time, but that should not have come up yet.

So I guess the FREE is just the demo period, not a limited version. I could not adjust anything after a few minutes use then a block came up requiring authentication which I assume means purchase but no price was listed, nor manual available. Maybe it is in testing mode. All communication with iZotope was down so I'll keep looking. I have a delay plugin that kind of sort of does a doubling effect.

Customer service is down so I can't get any info. I got the download, it worked for a few minutes then I was blocked from controls. The Doubler is not on their list of products yet is an available download.

So I guess the FREE is just the demo period, not a limited version. I could not adjust anything after a few minutes use then a block came up requiring authentication which I assume means purchase but no price was listed, nor manual available. Maybe it is in testing mode. All communication with iZotope was down so I'll keep looking. I have a delay plugin that kind of sort of does a doubling effect.
It is free, you just need to download an authentication file. At least, that's what it tells me -- I haven't found a use for it yet apart from initially trying it out.

Back