is it better to record e.guitar with amp+mic or directly through mixer?

I have been using a 58 to record guitar with.
Somebody walked off with my 57 and I haven't replaced it as I haven't recorded in a long time.
Is the difference in the 2 enough to warrant going out and buying a SM57?

I thought a 58 was really just a 57 with a different grill but I may well be wrong.

I thought a 58 was really just a 57 with a different grill but I may well be wrong.

That's what it looks like to me but it's probably different. I had one but someone swiped it...along with a sm58 and a Nady LDC mic.
Not real high dollar mics but I would like to have them back just the same

DI?
No way.

Good modeler?
Depends on your situation.

Mic + Amp?
Tried and true method; difficult to argue that it is not always better.

I think this whole issue of direct vs not comes from the noise restrictions many of us home players have. I think I've been guilty of asking about this here too. I've tried Guitar Rig but found the results pretty mediocre without a lot of tweaking. My best other than a mic on the amp has been the xlr line out of my Tech21. It's pretty sweet for my needs.

BTW, a fun setup to try is a mic on the acoustic then add some crunch with Guitar Rig or some such plugin. Sounds huge! I think the band "The Call" did this back in the 80's.

I think this whole issue of direct vs not comes from the noise restrictions many of us home players have. .

That's surely a part of it and a valid concern for many, but no, it mainly comes from people being cheap, lazy, and ignorant.

That's surely a part of it and a valid concern for many, but no, it mainly comes from people being cheap, lazy, and ignorant.

Also it is entirely possible to mic an amp at low levels and get excellent results. It is not necessary to go all the way up to eleven...

Also it is entirely possible to mic an amp at low levels and get excellent results. It is not necessary to go all the way up to eleven...
Was just thinking about this. There is quite the market now for 1/2 to 2 watt amps out there. Some sound like Marshal stacks at conversation levels. Might be another way to go.

Back