Xenyx 1202 mixer for silent rehearsal - can't figure it out

Creep

Milk It
Hi all! Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read my post or offer advice. I'm absolutely stumped, but then again I'm not very proficient with the recording/rehearsing side of music gear.

My current situation is - was in a three piece, guitarist has other commitments, now the drummer and I (bassist) are playing as a two piece and splitting the bass sound through two amps. Bass goes in to my BOSS BCB-60, one side of the chain goes to a Electro-Harmonix Micropog octave pedal to raise the bass tone to a guitar tone, goes through a distortion pedal and out of the A output of the BCB-60 to a guitar amp to simulate a guitar tone. Other side is the normal bass tone, out of the B ouput on the BCB-60 and goes to a bass amp. This is controlled through an ABY pedal on the board, which allows me to play with both sounds, or just one or the other. This works great live for us.

What I'm trying to do now is replicate this same setup, but through a mixer alongside electric drums for a silent rehearsal. I have the drums going through the Behringer Xenyx 1202 fine, which then goes into a headphone amp so that each of us can hear the drums. But I simply cannot get the same guitar/bass split working through the headphones.

I have a DI box which I'm assuming I need somewhere. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to incorporate the pedalboard so that one signal is going from the pedalboard (the bass into the octave pedal, then going to the mixer) and likewise for the standard bass tone. I've read heaps online, but can't find any solutions. I've read I may need to utilise the 'FX SEND' on the Xenyx, but there is no return so I'm not sure how that works.

When I do get audio through the headphones, it's just a standard weak bass tone without any of the effects.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this work? Apologies if this is hard to understand - please let me know if there's any more information needed as I can post them too. I'm pulling my hair out at this point trying to make this work so anyone who can offer advice I'd be hugely appreciative too.

Cheers!

It would help to know what guitar and bass amps you are using, what drums you have and what channels of the mixer the drums are connected to (assuming e-drums). If there are line outputs from the amps that retain some of the tone the amp imparts (and safely silence the amps), I would connect those to separate line inputs on the mixer. Alternatively, you might bypass the amps and connect the output of the A and B outputs of the pedalboard to separate inputs on the mixer, but the tone won't be what it is out of the amps. Also, the mixer might not have enough gain on a line input for a guitar level signal. You could use the DI to connect one of the bass signals to an XLR input for more gain, but that only solves it for one of them.

Thanks heaps for your response and sorry for the lack of info. At the moment, the aim was to not use amps at all (I was under the impression that this wouldn't work for a silent rehearsal?) but I'm probably mistaken. Here's the amps I'm using:

AMPEG BA115 bass amp
MARSHALL MG102CFX guitar amp (there are send and return outputs on the back, but no line out)
Roland TD-11 V-drums

Also, I've ordered another DI just in case it was needed. The bass sound I can manage, it's just the signal splitting which is giving me the most grief. Even when connecting the A output to the mixer (channel 1 line in) and then the DI XLR to channel 1 (should this be a separate channel?) I still get a 'bass' sound, when I'm trying to have it run through the octave pedal to raise it.

The two different sounds need to go into two different channels of the mixer.

The bass amp has a direct line out. You could use that connected to the mixer (without a DI, using an XLRF-TRS cable) so you can use the preamp section to control the tone. I bet plugging something into the 1/8" headphone output will mute the speaker. Or you can use the DI and skip the amp entirely, B output to the DI and XLR to the mixer.

I think it might be possible to go from the speaker out of the Marshall to the DI, if the DI has a 30-40dB pad. As a solid state amp, it should be safe with no speaker or with a higher impedance than the speaker, which the DI should provide. Use a short speaker type cable (different from a guitar cord, but uses the same plugs). Then you get to use the eq and distortion in the amp. Maybe @ecc83 will chime in and offer some technical advice. If not, A output to the DI, XLR to the mixer.

Then it would be a good idea to review the mixer's manual regarding setting levels.

The two different sounds need to go into two different channels of the mixer.

The bass amp has a direct line out. You could use that connected to the mixer (without a DI, using an XLRF-TRS cable) so you can use the preamp section to control the tone. I bet plugging something into the 1/8" headphone output will mute the speaker. Or you can use the DI and skip the amp entirely, B output to the DI and XLR to the mixer.

I think it might be possible to go from the speaker out of the Marshall to the DI, if the DI has a 30-40dB pad. As a solid state amp, it should be safe with no speaker or with a higher impedance than the speaker, which the DI should provide. Use a short speaker type cable (different from a guitar cord, but uses the same plugs). Then you get to use the eq and distortion in the amp. Maybe @ecc83 will chime in and offer some technical advice. If not, A output to the DI, XLR to the mixer.

Then it would be a good idea to review the mixer's manual regarding setting levels.

Again, thanks a lot for your reply, appreciate it heaps. I'll give those suggestions a go and post back!

Forgive me but surely we have three amps, bass sound, guitar sound and drums, so we replace those with inputs on a mixer and two pairs of headphones. Pan guitar left a bit, bass right a bit and drums in the middle and job done? Or have I missed something?

Forgive me but surely we have three amps, bass sound, guitar sound and drums, so we replace those with inputs on a mixer and two pairs of headphones. Pan guitar left a bit, bass right a bit and drums in the middle and job done? Or have I missed something?
I think the fundamental problem was that he was using the line and mic inputs of one channel at the same time. The problem didn't become apparent until some discussion had taken place.

I'm sorry, I'm probably not explaining everything clearly. This is what I tried at first, and it is working with the drums and bass inputs, but not the 'guitar'. As the fake guitar signal is coming from a bass through an octave pedal, I'm assuming this might be where the issue is, because it's the only one I can't get to work.

bouldersoundguy - just tried what you suggested and worked great for the bass tone, but still the same static-like bass sound (no evidence the octave pedal is coming through at all) from output A.

Eg:
bass guitar > pedalboard in > octave pedal > pedalboard out A > DI > mixer = crackly, static bass tone (same with DI removed)

Does this make sense?

Weird. If it works for the amp it should work for the DI.

Maybe skip the pedalboard inputs and outputs and just go straight into/out of the pedals. I don't know that this will solve your trouble, but it will at least simplify the connections.

Working! Turns out your initial suggestions were right - but my power supply started to go downhill and has now died. Replaced it and it's all working. Thanks for all your help!

Back