Is Christianity a Shtick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure which denomination you are -- catholic, I'm guessing? -- but you definitely have some different ideas than I've heard.

I think you misunderstood my point.

Can we agree on this:

"Sin is sin" according to God. It doesn't matter if you've only sinned once in your entire life, or if you've sinned a billion times. Either way, you're a sinner. And the only way for sinners to get into heaven is through accepting Christ.

Are you saying you think there are some people who can accept Christ as their savior and still not get into heaven?
I'm more curious to know if he thinks someone can get into heaven w/o accepting JC as their L&S.

Can we agree on this:

"Sin is sin" according to God. It doesn't matter if you've only sinned once in your entire life, or if you've sinned a billion times. Either way, you're a sinner. And the only way for sinners to get into heaven is through accepting Christ.

Are you saying you think there are some people who can accept Christ as their savior and still not get into heaven?
Yes and yes.

Sin is a man made concept. There is no good or evil, it is all subjective, there just is. Let me put it this way. If Hitler had won WWII and went on to
take the rest of the world and killed every Jew and "subhuman", the history books and the teachings would all portray this scenario as a just and
noble cause and the results celebrated. The public would accept it and be on their merry way, guilt free. I went to Catholic school. By second grade
I had my doubts, by fourth grade it was all over.

Last edited:
LOL but think of all the great exercise we got doing the Catholic calisthenics. Stand up, sit down, kneel, genuflect and make the sign of the cross. Rinse and repeat.
My mother was Lutheran. The calisthenics were similar.

Have you ever attended a Bar Mitzvah? At certain times, when the Rabbi was reading from the Torah, at Temple, every Jewish woman in attendance lifted her heels off the floor, bobbed up and down a few times on the toes of their feet all at the same time that their heads were nodding in an up and down motion.

Fascinating for a heathen like myself to see, but you have to give due respect to the ritualistic demands placed upon parishioners.

This kind of simplified outlook on Christianity unfortunately greatly hinders any discussion between believers and atheists (and anyone in between).
One of the many things I find to be problematic regarding religion is the lack of unanimity as to *what* the "correct" outlook is. Endless denominations, interpretations with conflicting voices saying *they* have the *true* take on the word of God. They don't even all use the same Bible - the Catholic Bible isn't the same as the KJV and Bibles are based on translations of ancient writings by unknown authors that are subject to political influences and biases and just disagreement as to what the translation is. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is based on the "coat of many colors" which some think is instead "robe with long sleeves". Doesn't quite have the same Broadway razzle dazzle.

There isn't agreement as to what texts are holy - hence texts in the Catholic Bible that aren't in other Christian Bibles.

People use the term "Judeo- Christian" but despite sharing some text Judaism and Christianity aren't at all the same religions.

Etc. etc

What if I meet those terms, ask forgiveness for all the people I've murdered so far, but because no one knows I murdered them except for me and Jesus, I can't outwardly show contrition?
Sorry... I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

As long as you are contrite and trust in God's mercy, you are forgiven.
Sin is a man made concept. There is no good or evil, it is all subjective, there just is. Let me put it this way. If Hitler had won WWII and went on to
take the rest of the world and killed every Jew and "subhuman", the history books and the teachings would all portray this scenario as a just and
noble cause and the results celebrated. The public would accept it and be on their merry way, guilt free. I went to Catholic school. By second grade
I had my doubts, by fourth grade it was all over.
However, the current consensus is that gay sex is fine (and even applauded by the US government, among others haha). However, it's still considered a sin. Why?

Sorry... I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

As long as you are contrite and trust in God's mercy, you are forgiven.

However, the current consensus is that gay sex is fine (and even applauded by the US government, among others haha). However, it's still considered a sin. Why?
I don't suffer fools.

Hmm... what exactly made you come to that conclusion?
Just a guess. The talk of purgatory and the importance of deeds mostly. I could be wrong, but my dad is Catholic (and my sister converted because her husband is). I've heard both of those things from them, so it seemed like a fair guess.

But there are a shit ton of denominations, so ...

Don't forget about LImbo where unbaptized babies go. Catholics might have changed that but all the unbaptized babies went to Limbo
when I was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back