Is Christianity a Shtick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serendipity Records

So in the Political Humor thread, @PorterhouseMusic contends that the Christian belief in Jesus' resurrection is a joke. Fair enough:
Now there's something else you could also make a lot of money with. Until the shtick wore off, of course.
Now it's a fact that Jesus existed. But are these claims well-founded?

So - serious question @PorterhouseMusic: Do you believe that Alexander the Great existed?

Yes, it is.

Do you exist? Or are you a bot?
Does it even matter anymore?

The books of the bible were written decades, or centuries after Jesus was said to have walked the earth, right? Is there proof outside of that collection of stories that prove Jesus existed? I'm genuinely curious.

Does it even matter anymore?

The books of the bible were written decades, or centuries after Jesus was said to have walked the earth, right? Is there proof outside of that collection of stories that prove Jesus existed? I'm genuinely curious.
It doesn't matter. Which is a really great point.

Nice. You surprised me with a level of intelligence akin to that of my chickens, which is better than the AI bot I thought you were.

The first book of the New Testament (which comprises only a part of the Bible) to be written was started about 17 years after Jesus died and rose. Contrast this with the oldest source we have on Alexander the Great - which was written over 200 years after his death and the fall of his supposed mega-empire.

The Gospels were widely accepted from the time of their writing as 1) not being forgeries and 2) portraying facts about Jesus' life. Explicitly about the resurrection, St. Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians that there were over 500 witnesses who had seen Jesus after his resurrection.

As far as extra-biblical proof, "There are [...] numerous Jewish and Roman sources (e.g. Josephus, Suetonius, Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, and rabbinic tradition that talk about Jesus". (Wikipedia - "Historicity of Jesus").

Jesus' greatest political enemies, the Jews (surprise, surprise!), did not deny Jesus' existence in contemporary texts, but rather attempted to discredit his actions.

Last edited:
You now - this begs a question. Is there a bot code or something that says a bot has to tell you they're a bot?

If there's not - there should be.
I'm just asking based on his tendency to ask rather simple-minded questions and to make incendiary arguments for fun - which, together, demonstrate a lack of an even distribution of intelligence across the internet manifestation of his intellect (tongue twister heh heh). If someone is so persistent in making up their own reality they should spend some more time on Fortnite instead of having me do their research for them.

I'm just asking based on his tendency to ask rather simple-minded questions and to make incendiary arguments for fun - which, together, demonstrate a lack of an even distribution of intelligence across the internet manifestation of his intellect (tongue twister heh heh). If someone is so persistent in making up their own reality they should spend some more time on Fortnite instead of having me do their research for them.
I'm not that smart. Could you dumb that down a little?

Convinced of what?
Well, you can't come back on my post with anything sensible, so the case rests on you agreeing with it (or having put me on ignore, which is another way of saying you recognize the facts though you can't stand them).
I think "the gospels" are bunch of nonsense. On balance - I don't think religion is good for the homo sapien animal.
Well, in a few years maybe you'll change your mind. Or hopefully sooner. That's your problem.

But isn't it interesting that Christianity introduced the very idea of women and children having an ounce of worth? Or equality between ethnic entities? Now don't go quoting me the classic @dogooder thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back