Intermittent issues with Macbook+Behringer UCA222 input device

toasterman

Hi everyone,
I've been recording a speech-based podcast for a while, and it WAS fine, but recently I've changed some bits and it sounds worse, so wondered if anyone could help?

My audio equipment is: 2 x Samson C01 condenser microphones, connected to a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer.

I was just running a cable from the headphone output on this mixer, to a line-in port on a HP Laptop and recording in Audacity, and that was fine. Over time, the laptop got old, it got problematic, it ran Windows XP, and so recently I replaced it with a Macbook Air. Because hardly any laptops seem to come with line-in ports anymore, I bought a Behringer UCA222 input device, and currently record to the Macbook with Amadeus Pro. I've used Amadeus a lot before on another mac and never had a problem with it, so I don't think that's the issue.

Since I switched to this new setup, we've started getting popping/clicking showing up on the recording. One recording session will be fine, another will have clicks in it. One time there was a strange type of interference noise on the recording that occurred when we were speaking, but not when we were quiet. The next session, fine again.

To try and pin down where the problem is, I dug out an old Minidisc player, and added that to the system. So for the last few sessions I've been recording multiple versions of what we do. The minidisc player connects to the headphone socket on the UCA222 device, the Macbook records via the usb interface.
First two sessions, fine. No difference.

But on the last one, there are noticeable clicks. In some cases, the click is on the minidisc recording, but louder than it is on the direct-usb recording. In most cases over a space of 20minutes worth of audio, the click is only on the usb one, and not on the minidisc one at all.

I have tried connecting the UCA222 to another mac. I recorded for 30+ mins, with no noticeable problem on the recording, but as I say it doesn't do it all the time anyway. That needs further testing.

Does anyone have an idea which bit might be the issue?
Could it be that the macbook air just isn't very good at recording over usb?
Is it likely to be the UCA222 (which as far as I can see has quite positive reviews online)?
Could it be something else causing issues in the system that is generating a minor issue which is massively amplified by my new setup?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ben

I have used the UCA 202 (which, AFAIK is electronically the 222?) on several computers and within its limitations it has always performed well.

I have not had the opportunity to try one on a mac but I am not really surprised that you are having problems because I do not think that is a match that comes instantly to the audio person's mind!

Now, FAR be it from I Ben to tell you how to spend you money! But I would have thought that anyone who could afford a MacBook Air could afford a 1/2 decent interface?

For example, the Steinberg UR22 is much better than 1/2 decent and costs about 1/7th of a MBA!

Dave.

I am not a Mac user and will avoid the temptation of saying, "Well . . . THERE'S your problem!" :) However, please bear in mind that I know nothing about Macs.

As a general rule, clicks and pops when recording digitally mean something in the computer is not keeping up with the digital stream. The first thing I'd check is that the driver for the interface installed correctly. You may have to install it manually. Next, I'd check that the recording software you have is using the correct driver, i.e. make sure it is set to ASIO, rather than "system default" or something like that. Then make sure you have a sufficiently large buffer. The ASIO control interface and/or the recording software should allow you to set the buffer size. Increase it gradually and see if the clicks and pops go away. Finally, the last option is that the physical data storage can't keep up with the data stream. This seems very unlikely on a new Macbook Air, but you might try recording to external USB drive.

I am not a Mac user and will avoid the temptation of saying, "Well . . . THERE'S your problem!" :)
Uh huh.....

Make sure it is set to ASIO, rather than "system default" or something like that.
Ironically this advice is applicable to Microsoft operating systems. Macs use core-audio and don't require any hoop-jumping. :p

OP.
Is your chain Microphones - mixer - UCA - macbook?
If so, try recording mic-mixer-minidisc and see what happens. This takes the macbook out of the chain completely.
The fact that your noise is intermittent makes me wonder if it's simply electrical noise. The boiler/air-con/lights turning on and off....
Even just plug the mics into the mixer and monitor directly with a pair of headphones for half an hour. See (hear) what happens.

If that's no good, is the UCA officially supported on OSX and have you installed the correct drivers?
Are you on a different OS version than your friend? Might be worth checking UCA version compatibility.

A lot of interfaces will work out of the box, but would work better with the proper drivers.
You may find theres a control panel or software that'll allow you to set clock source, etc.

If not you could try looking in Utilities->Audio/Midi setup.
If you select the UCA in there it should let you choose sample rate and clock source.
I duno if it'll help, but try toggling those to various different values.

Also, if you bought the mac for the line-input, how come you're using the behringer. Do you get the issues going directly into the line input?
It'd be much better to buy the right cables and use the line-level outputs from your mixer rather than headphone outputs.

Finally, although it doesn't explain your problems, Dave's advice is tip top. An all-in-one USB interface would be a great investment.

Please try these things in order to rule things out one by one.

Yes, I think the UCA202 is the same as the 222. The difference (from Googling) seems to just be that they are a different colour, come bundled with different (freeware anyway) software, and the 222 will replace it eventually.

The Macbook Air is a joint purchase with my girlfriend (so I only bought half). It suits our non-audio requirements, and I didn't expect a bit of basic audio recording to be a problem once I found an input device of some sort - I've never had an issue with sound recording before, no matter how basic the system was, but then systems used to come with onboard line-in ports.
I bought the UCA because I couldn't find much suitable, and didn't really want to spend too much. All I need is a USB line-in port, after all. I have a perfectly acceptable mixer for powering the mics, don't need any effects, fancy EQs, etc.

The MacbookAir has an SSD drive, so access speeds shouldn't be a problem.
I can't really update drivers. According to Behringer's website, they say you don't need drivers for the UCA on the Mac. They don't provide them, as far as I can see.

My chain is:
Microphones -> mixer -> UCA (USB output) - macbook
and also
Microphones -> mixer -> UCA (headphone socket) -> Minidisc (line-in)

What confuses me is that the minidisc doesn't have the poor quality, but the Macbook does. Presumably the USB uses some sort of analog->digital converter. And the headphone socket doesn't….so it's not quite the same through headphones as being transferred to USB.
Although if so, it's a bit stupid to give you a headphone socket which isn't what it's really recording.

To clarify, the mac has no line-in input. Most new laptops don't seem to have one anymore. That's all I'm wanting the UCA for. More testing is required.

Can you check the 222 out on another machine? A PC perhaps?

It is possible that you have a faulty sample. If you are in UK I could ship you my 202 for test as I know that works!

If close enough that postage won't be daft, PM with an address and I shall jiffy it in a jiffy.

Dave.

Back