In the studio: what are you sending to "tape"?

studiogenocide

Hey guys- an electric guitar and amplifier novice here- so forgive ths silliness if it seems so :)
I am thinking about purchasing a 35-65 watt tube amp for my little studio. I have a Line 6 UX2 and the Pod 2.0. I am thinking of using my POD 2.0 through the amp and mic. Does anyone else do this? I've been direct in all this time, but its hard to get the "tone" just right through nearfields, and headphones just doesn't do it justice. LEt me know your thoughts!

If you are going to use the POD...what's the point of pluggin it into the amp?
Since you are currently not getting the right tone using the POD...why not just plug the guitar into the amp...mic it...and go with that?

With a good tube amp and proper mic placement you should be able to go straight into the recorder and it will sound fine. I believe it was Jerry Garcia who said getting great guitar sounds is easy, it's getting everything else to sound good that's the problem.

I wouldn't use the POD unless it's essential for FX. Make sure you disable the amp models.

I record my amps with a Shure SM57 or Beta58, and run that straight into the board (unless I'm using my pedal board, which I often do). Sounds great.

Back