I'm ready for some football.

I screwed that one up. I confused the 1958 and 1959 seasons up. Jake Gibbs, the guy that punted that ball to Cannon in 59 went on to play catcher for the Yankees the following year. That was a split championship in 1958. It was LSU and either Idaho or Iowa. Can't remember.

There was no split. Technically, yeah, some n00b writer's union named Iowa national champion. The people that mattered at the time unanimously named LSU as champion.

Upon further review, I think I'm okay with the latest news on the PATs. 25 yd line. That's a 42 yd FG try. That's no gimmee, and it may get more teams to try for 2, which is always better.

I wonder if they considered the 2-pt conversion success percentage.

Say the 2 pt conversion is successful 75% of the time...just throwing out a number. I don't know what it actually is. So 75% of 2 point conversions are successful. They should look at which distance for FGs has a 75% "it's good!" rate. Maybe it's the 25 yd line. So each PAT attempt, be it a 2-pt conversion or a FG try, has the same percent chance of conversion. But since the kick isn't defended as hard, it stays worth one point. The 2-pt conversion stays unchanged.

Yeah, I saw yesterday they were considering moving it out. With 42 yards, the weather is going to be more of a factor at outdoor stadiums. One change I can actually accept.

Upon further review, I think I'm okay with the latest news on the PATs. 25 yd line. That's a 42 yd FG try. That's no gimmee, and it may get more teams to try for 2, which is always better.

I wonder if they considered the 2-pt conversion success percentage.

Say the 2 pt conversion is successful 75% of the time...just throwing out a number. I don't know what it actually is. So 75% of 2 point conversions are successful. They should look at which distance for FGs has a 75% "it's good!" rate. Maybe it's the 25 yd line. So each PAT attempt, be it a 2-pt conversion or a FG try, has the same percent chance of conversion. But since the kick isn't defended as hard, it stays worth one point. The 2-pt conversion stays unchanged.

Much better than eliminating it all together. This will drive the boys in Vegas nuts.

Oh man my Saints are having to clean house to get under the cap. Sproles released? Fuuuuuuuuuck. I think the window is closing.

Oh man my Saints are having to clean house to get under the cap. Sproles released? Fuuuuuuuuuck. I think the window is closing.

When you have an elite QB his cap number has a domino effect on the rest of the team. The Seahawks and Niners have QBs with rookie contracts, their door will get a lot smaller in the coming years.

I look at the Packers now and I see similarities to the Favre glory years, good enough to be in the conversation (although they should never had made the playoffs last year) but not good enough to win it all.

When you have an elite QB his cap number has a domino effect on the rest of the team. The Seahawks and Niners have QBs with rookie contracts, their door will get a lot smaller in the coming years.

I look at the Packers now and I see similarities to the Favre glory years, good enough to be in the conversation (although they should never had made the playoffs last year) but not good enough to win it all.

I think they're setting it all up to afford Jimmy Graham. He's only the baddest hybrid TE/WR in the game. We gotta keep him and he's gonna get a fat contract. A lot of the Saints other cuts are easier to swallow and make sense. Aging defensive players and role player WRs. But man, losing Sproles hurts. That dude is a weapon. Saints gotta get younger on offense though.

I think they're setting it all up to afford Jimmy Graham. He's only the baddest hybrid TE/WR in the game. We gotta keep him and he's gonna get a fat contract. A lot of the Saints other cuts are easier to swallow and make sense. Aging defensive players and role player WRs. But man, losing Sproles hurts. That dude is a weapon. Saints gotta get younger on offense though.
and Lance moore too ..... and possibly Pierre Thomas ......

I dunno ....... I know Graham's great but those 3 guys are good players and how much of Graham's success comes because the Saints have enough other weapons that teams can't just key on Graham?
With fewer weapons other teams will just double Graham.

We've got salary cap problems and I agree the window's closing.

I'm torn ..... I want Graham there but I'm not totally sold on the idea that he's worth releasing all those other players.

I dunno ....... I know Graham's great but those 3 guys are good players and how much of Graham's success comes because the Saints have enough other weapons that teams can't just key on Graham?

I'm torn ..... I want Graham there but I'm not totally sold on the idea that he's worth releasing all those other players.

It's scary aint it?

You know you have to pay a QB, but the league does a lot to protect that position. If you put all your eggs in one basket and a player gets hurt, you are shit out of luck.

The thing is Graham could go to a team with lots of cap room but a lousy offense and he could end up looking ordinary. The Packer's Greg Jennings was a good receiver who became invisible when he went to the QB-less Vikes.

That's the price of success and parity working hand in hand.

I think many of the Saints current releases are warranted and make cap sense. Vilma, Will Smith, Roman Harper....those guys are old and past their prime. The defense needs to get younger. Lance Moore was a great role player and a solid producer, so that one hurts a little, but his skills were in decline. There's 2 or 3 young WRs on the roster that I think can fill his role. Brees can make them better. Losing Sproles is a biggee. He's getting old too, but he is Drew's escape route. That guy is a matchup nightmare and we're gonna miss him unless one of the young guns like Khiry Robinson can step up big. Same with Pierre Thomas. No RB on the roster plays as intelligently as he does. Hard runner, great receiver from the backfield, but most importantly IMO, his blitz pick ups are his biggest asset. That guy understands pass protection. Hopefully Ingram can be our next Pierre.

Hey Boob, our Saints made a huge splash landing Jarius Byrd yesterday. Awesome safety. Awesome.

We're gonna be paying dearly for all of this when Brees retires. :laughings:

Hey Boob, our Saints made a huge splash landing Jarius Byrd yesterday. Awesome safety. Awesome.

We're gonna be paying dearly for all of this when Brees retires. :laughings:
good to hear ..... I'm a bit outta touch as it's Bikeweek plus I got that gig which requires effort on my part dammit!
jarius Byrd huh? ..... I'll look him up ....... I think Brees is gonna be really motivated because his time is growing short so next year might be a good one for us.

good to hear ..... I'm a bit outta touch as it's Bikeweek plus I got that gig which requires effort on my part dammit!
jarius Byrd huh? ..... I'll look him up ....... I think Brees is gonna be really motivated because his time is growing short so next year might be a good one for us.

Yeah I think so too. I'm really excited to see how the defense could get even better.

It is interesting though how the Saints have been teetering on the edge of salary cap hell for several years and they keep reworking contracts, letting guys go, and getting good replacements in return. They know what's coming though. All of this stuff is back ended to not hit hard until Brees is done. Saints management is gearing up for right now, while our window is still open, but we'll pay the price when our top dog is retired. We're sacrificing the future for right now. I'm okay with that. but ask me again in about 5-6 years. :laughings:

Where are the Broncos getting all this cap space from?? Holy crap. So far they've signed Talib and T.J. Ward, and now they just signed DeMarcus Ware. They're going all-or-nothing to get a Superbowl while they still have Peyton, I guess! If they pick up a couple more good defensive pieces in the draft and maybe get a little run game going, they're going to be crazy good next year.

Meanwhile my Skins haven't been doing too bad so far...nothing big, but we're quietly filling in holes :D I was sad we didn't go after one of the big-name CBs though....would have been awesome to pair DeAngelo Hall with one of them!

Back