I'm new to Cubase. Got a few questions....

soss

I have been using Reaper for a while and I have decided to try out Cubase. There are a few things I'm not liking so far:

1)Slow startup: Does Cubase have to load all those plugins on startup? Seriously, it takes almost a full minute just to load the program in Windows. It takes Reaper less than 5 seconds. Any way I can get it to load faster?

2)Why does the main project/track window (half) minimize itself when I open up the mixer(f3) window? This is incredibly annoying. :mad:

Hmm...Only takes 12 seconds to load here with C6. Which version of Cubase are you using and what are your computer specs? I have never seen the project window minimize when the mixer opens. Could possibly be a setting in preferences. Maybe try setting mixer to 'Always On Top'? IDK.

Recently installed Cubase 5 with default settings. Dual-core Athlon with 4gb Ram.

I have approximately 100 plugs including the many Steinberg ones, but I only have 20 checked off under "plug-in information". Does Cubase really have to "initialize" every single plugin when it loads?

Oh, when I say "minimize" what I mean is that the project window reduces it's width by about 1/3 while the height stays the same. Still very annoying to have to keep opening the project window to the full width every time. Makes no intuitive sense to me. I wish there was simple project/mixer toggle button.

Cubase should only have to initialize the plugins once. Subsequent startups should be quick.

So are you saying that every time you open the mixer, the project window changes size? Or is it just set at the wrong size when you startup Cubase. I don't see any way for that to be even possible. Btw, I have C5 as well and I could not reproduce what you are getting.

Hey thanks for helping me out.

Or is it just set at the wrong size when you startup Cubase.

Yup, it does that too when I open up a new default project. Is there a setting that controls that?

Cubase should only have to initialize the plugins once. Subsequent startups should be quick.

Right! That's exactly how it works in Reaper. FWIW, this has only been a recent problem. I don't remember having this problem a week ago.

I'm not sure you can control the way a new default project is initially layed out, but you can create a template, save and use it instead, with all of your setup saved. Cubase should restart a project the way that you left it at last save. As far as the plugins are concerned, try opening Cubase, Devices>Plugin Information>Update. Then save. Close Cubase and see if it starts faster.

Strange. After it moves it over like that, drag it back to the right. Does it not stay then? I hope not to offend, but this is a licensed copy right? I have to ask because this is not normal. If it is legit, reinstall it. Something is totally wrong.

Set the layout the way you like it. Apply whatever plugs you think you'll always use in each channel. Busses, effects, track color.... everything. Then save as a template.

Oh wait, I see Jimmy already said that. Good advice!! :D

I have been using Reaper for a while and I have decided to try out Cubase. There are a few things I'm not liking so far:

1)Slow startup: Does Cubase have to load all those plugins on startup? Seriously, it takes almost a full minute just to load the program in Windows. It takes Reaper less than 5 seconds. Any way I can get it to load faster?

It should only scan plugs slow on the first time you launch it. After that is should be around the same launch time as reaper. Reaper does the same thing the first time you launch it (it's completely normal with recording programs).

)Why does the main project/track window (half) minimize itself when I open up the mixer(f3) window? This is incredibly annoying. :mad:

It doesn't do this on my machine, but it's probably a preference thing or you cracked it. Why are you trying out cubase is you liked reaper?

I have the solution, I think. I assume you are on a Windows PC?

Are you maximizing the project window in order to make it full screen? IOW, are you hitting this button?

maximize.jpg

Also, are you only using one monitor?

If the answer to both these question is yes, what you need to do is resize the project window manually in "Restore Down" mode, which is what automatically happens when you open the mixer if the project window is maximized. You do this by grabbing the bottom right hand corner of the window and dragging it to the full size of the monitor. When you re-size the project window manually, the top right buttons of the window should look like the above image. The button you are looking for to "Restore Down" looks like this:

ZA102450811033_2E00_gif

I suspect Cubase does it this way because many people, like myself, use two monitors and customize our window layout. If you maximize the Cubase project window with two monitors, it will span over both of them and generally this is undesirable because you would want to, say, have the ability to view the mixer window on the other screen without it being covered.

I can almost guarantee that if you merely position and size the monitor manually in restore down mode, you will not have the re-size issue you are experiencing.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Oh, and in case it hasn't been confirmed yet, Cubase only does a complete scan all VST's on the first startup and when you add new plugins. When you add new plugins it should only scan the newly added ones. Also, granted, it can startup a little slower than usual on the first boot, but you'll notice that if you open it once and then close it, it opens up a lot quicker.

I suspect Cubase does it this way because many people, like myself, use two monitors and customize our window layout. If you maximize the Cubase project window with two monitors, it will span over both of them and generally this is undesirable because you would want to, say, have the ability to view the mixer window on the other screen without it being covered.

I can almost guarantee that if you merely position and size the monitor manually in restore down mode, you will not have the re-size issue you are experiencing.

Hope that helps.

That was it. Thanks!

Oh, and in case it hasn't been confirmed yet, Cubase only does a complete scan all VST's on the first startup and when you add new plugins. When you add new plugins it should only scan the newly added ones. Also, granted, it can startup a little slower than usual on the first boot, but you'll notice that if you open it once and then close it, it opens up a lot quicker.

Great to confirm this. It's still happening every single time. I think I have a few expired trials in my folder that might be causing the problem.

Thanks for the help, Mo Facta. :)

Back