Ibanez or Fender

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I am trading my MPC2000 to a dude for a Mexican standard strat and either an Ibanez Gio Soundgear bass or Mexican Fender P-bass. The bass will just be for recording right now (no amp), but I will use it live down the road. Which should I get?

Hmmm, tough choice there. Ibanez does make some of the better basses in the entry-to-mid range of instruments. Fender is a reliable go-to bass in the mid-range as far as prices go.

The Soundgear line of basses covers a pretty wide price range, and I don't know what the Gio model is or what its worth. The Mexi P-Bass is usually priced new around $400 - $500, assuming its a standard model.

Both are pretty good basses, assuming they're in good condition. You might want to nail down a model number for that Ibanez just so you can see what its worth.

Gio is typically Ibanez's entry level line, so in dollar terms the Mexi Fender might be a better deal.

That said, the Gio most likely has humbuckers, while the Fender most likely has singlecoils, which may factor into your decision too...

EDIT - Just googled MPC2000; they seem to go for about $1100 new? How old is yours? Even the Mexican Fender and Mexican P-Bass might not be an even trade.

That's the XL model. While the 2K classic is a great machine too (what I have), they typically sell used in the $300-$500 range. I should mention, the bass will be for my wife. Are either of these basses better for a female with smaller hands? She probably won't want too heavy of a bass either.

That's the XL model. While the 2K classic is a great machine too (what I have), they typically sell used in the $300-$500 range. I should mention, the bass will be for my wife. Are either of these basses better for a female with smaller hands? She probably won't want too heavy of a bass either.

In that case, then you're getting a good deal. Do it! :)

Tough to say for sure, but Ibanez built its reputation on thin necks and good playability, so the Gio might be the "easier" player. On the other hand, the Fender is probably worth more so if you're not sure if she'll stick with it, the resale value is probably better.

I have a Fender Mexican P bass. Don't even remember how I ended up with it. I believe someone that thought it was crap simply gave it to me. I don't recommend it unless you are going to rip the PU's out, and replace them. Could be that I'm just spoiled with higher quality stuff, but I find the Fender Mexican bass about useless, except to leave out so all the people that absolutely insist on touching everything in the room have something to touch. I consider it a "kick around" bass, even though there is not a mark on it. As far as recording with it in it's stock form....not gonna happen. No "boom", no real warm bottom end, and no punch. It's just kinda there. Doesn't play half bad, but it just doesn't really sound half good.

Well, I was supposed to meet up with the guy today. He called me 20 minutes beforehand to say he had just sold the strat to someone else. But he said, "I could still trade you one of the basses and a really big speaker." Wow, what a deal! Freaking craigslist.

I'm a little biased (I like Ibanez better than Fender) Ibanez guitars have a shorter scale length (basses probably do too) which makes them play a little differently. The used values are likely to be similar so why not let your wife choose which she likes better.

I'm a little biased (I like Ibanez better than Fender) Ibanez guitars have a shorter scale length (basses probably do too) which makes them play a little differently. The used values are likely to be similar so why not let your wife choose which she likes better.

Actually, Ibanez and Fender are, with very few exceptions, both 25.5" for their guitars. I suspect bass scale length is similar, as well.

That's kind of a dick move on the part of the dude from Craigslist. :(

Actually, Ibanez and Fender are, with very few exceptions, both 25.5" for their guitars. I suspect bass scale length is similar, as well.

That's kind of a dick move on the part of the dude from Craigslist. :(

I don't like to argue but I measured the length on 3 different model Ibanez guitars that I own, all were 24.75" stock necks. I haven't had the chance to compare bass necks.

I got two more interested parties now. One guy has a MIM Fender Jazz bass (with gig bag) and the other has a 2000 red Yamaha RBX170. Should I go for the Jazz Bass, or are those really heavy too?

Last edited:
Any last opinions on whether I should go for the jazz bass or yamaha or neither? Both deals come with a small practice amp. I am hoping to make a decision this weekend. Thanks.

I'm a regular guitarist, not a bassist, but I needed a cheap bass for recording a few years back and headed over to GC to play everything in the under-$250 range... Yamaha, Ibanez, and a couple of others. For me, the Ibanez played the easiest, but the Yam (rbx-170) sounded and felt the best. I particularly liked the longer scale and how light it is. I took the Yam home for a measly $160. By the way, the craftsmanship varies a lot in this price range, so I had the sales guy bring out 3 still in boxes. One of those had a much straighter neck with smoother fret edges, so that's the one I took. It's been great for my simple needs. Personally, I wouldn't buy a guitar at this low price point without playing it first.

I don't like to argue but I measured the length on 3 different model Ibanez guitars that I own, all were 24.75" stock necks. I haven't had the chance to compare bass necks.

What model? I think maybe some of the SZ's have been short scale, but virtually every Ibanez guitar I've ever played (and every one I've owned - I've checked too ;)) is 25.5". FWIW, I play RG's and UV's...

Guys - the other dude bailed, the trade isn't in the cards any more. Read the thread. ;)

When presented with the age old question: "Ibanez or Fender?" (and I often am presented with that question), I find the appropriate answer to be "yes."

Back