I think I need a patch bay

Slouching Raymond

The rear of my new SSL Big Six has 34 balanced TRS sockets on it, and I don't believe I own a single TRS cable of any type.
I have spent much time grovelling on my knees trying to read the writing on the rear of my racked equipment,
using a mirror and a torch. I do this every time I want to connect something to a different place.
I want to route keyboards, amps, and also be able to sometimes record through the SSL, and sometimes record through my Focusrite 18i8.
It is probably time to look into patch bays.

TRS patch bays are probably the way to go.
There are 'TT' patch bays, which I believe use telephone exchange type plugs. Are they relevant, or worth considering?
Anyone got any words of wisdom?

Far too expensive - and the telephone exchange (at least in the UK) used normal ¼" size holes, but did use the the B gauge PO 316 type connector, not the A guage hi-fi type. The bantam type - 4.4mm connectors are much rarer and double the price of the ¼" B gauge. The ordinary ¼" patch bays are so much cheaper and frankly just as good - even if you are really using them for remoting the awkward console sockets.

For me the usefulness of being able to shove in a guitar cable, and convert to unbalanced simply was always pretty useful. Bantam panels are silly prices and the cost of one patch lead can easily be 30 UKP - madness, when you can get short cheap, throw away when broken, moulded ones so much cheaper.

The TTL patchbays just have more connections. I've used both. My fav in the Switchcraft TRS long frame type. You have to solder the rear connections but that's a plus as far as I'm concerned.

TT is "TIny Telephone" and as has been mentioned, they are really only necessary when you are trying to fit a LOT of patches into a small space. I run two plain jane 1/4" TRS patch bays for two separate mixers, various synths, a couple of interfaces. three computers, four outboard processors, It took some planning but it's made my life much simpler.

Thank you for your thoughts, all.
I looked up prices for cables, and also parts for making my own cables.
I have yet to check out patch strip prices.

Morning Ray. A few pointers garnered over some years of reading newb issues with patch bays.
Yes, as told, go for standard A jacks. You mention "keyboards"? These are invariably unbalanced at at a lower operating level than the standard +4dBu. The level does not make a lot of difference so long as you are aware of it but mixing balanced and unbalanced kit can be problematic, e.g. a hair endangering chase for ground loop hums!

You really need a large sheet of paper or card and draw up a diagram of all the ins and outs you will need. You will I bet be staggered at the figure. You also, IMO need a separate XLR bay just for mic with phantom power. Spook juice is nowhere near the 'all destroying monster' it is often said to be but you really need to keep it off TRS connectors.

BTW I have a spare metal rack case 350mm x 200mm (H, D) free if anyone wishes to step n fetch it. And IF you or anyone is going for a rack system check out Hellerman Tyton Data for their 'Racksnap' kits. These are very easy to use and ground isolate each piece of rack gear from the case and each other.

Dave.

You mention "keyboards"? These are invariably unbalanced
My MP11 piano and Roland VR700 both have XLR balanced outs, and the Behringer Poly D has balanced jack outs.
It looks like I'm ok there.

You really need a large sheet of paper or card and draw up a diagram of all the ins and outs you will need.
Already thinking about drawing it all out, and all the imaginative different ways it could all be connected. I am prepared to be staggered.

You also, IMO need a separate XLR bay just for mic with phantom power.
The mics can go directly into the SSL Big Six. If I do get a XLR strip, that will probably be a separate simpler job.

BTW I have a spare metal rack case 350mm x 200mm (H, D) free if anyone wishes to step n fetch it. And IF you or anyone is going for a rack system check out Hellerman Tyton Data for their 'Racksnap' kits. These are very easy to use and ground isolate each piece of rack gear from the case and each other.
I think I have sufficient spare rack space, and a currently unused desktop angled frame.
I will certainly check out Hellerman Tyton Data, as you suggest.

This exercise will mean a total re-design of my (small) space.
Currently my MP11 resides in the little Esmono booth, but that really ought to be for acoustic.
The drums are in the other larger Esmono booth, and will be pre-mixed there and recorded as stereo on a Focusrite 18i8.
I probably need a bigger house, so must try to be creative in space use.

Thanks for your suggestions ecc83.

Well, my patch bay arrived today.
Six Behringer PX3000 units. They seem as good as any, and reasonably priced.
I made a word processor table of what might plug in where. This will need a second pass.
All I need now is a big pile of cables. This could be pricey.
I will have to Identify a subset of essential cables, to keep the immediate cost down.
This project entailed completely ripping my studio room apart, and re-jigging it all.
It is looking pretty good, but not back up and working yet.

Went to the local music store today (Absolute), to buy some cables.
Came out with a bag full, restricted by what they had in stock, and what my wallet had in stock.
Spent the rest of the day partially populating the mixer and patchbay.
I can now play keyboards through it, and electric guitar. Not quite enough cables to sort out all the insert
possibilities.
There is a Samson patch bay costing twice what the Behringer one does, with switches on the front.
I think I prefer the Behringer, with the same switches out of knocking distance, on the top.

Have you considered soldering your own cables Ray? If you do I suggest some ~3mm OD foil screened cable for the rear 'fixed' cables. Cheap and bog easy to strip. TRS plugs you buy in bulk but not expensive Nukes. I would buy basic Gold plated jobs from CPC or similar. Gold because yes, it will wear off with constant use but the plugs in the back rarely get moved and Gold will never tarnish. Also a bloody dream to solder.

Dave.

I highly recommend https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPatchPlus--samson-s-patch-plus-48-point-balanced-patchbay as it offers the ability to switch between thru/normal/half normal on each patch on the front of the unit. I also highly recommend looking into getting some TRS snakes for any connections that are going to involve multiple cables to and from a device... as you'll soon find out that running single cables to each connection is not the best idea. I have a couple of 4 channel snakes going to each of my monitor pairs for instance, running 2 cables instead of 8. Patchbays are one of those things that you never knew you needed until you have one... and they're so helpful.

This is how it is looking:
Studio with patch bay.jpg
All about inserting that left hand rack into an assortment of places on the SSL Big Six.
More keyboards off to the right.

Back