I need some wiring techniques

thecuriouscouch

Im gona get a headphone amp thing eventualy, but i think i can make one. i have a old 15w amp and a lot of time. anyone have experience in wireing. or maby just have a good idea.
thanks

15 watts should drive a few pairs of headphones without any trouble. Put power resistors on each headphone jack to keep the impedance of the box to a sane value. Add a dual potentiometer on each jack if you want volume control.

More info about what you want to accomplish will probably get you more suggestions. :)

Don

Skip the resistors and just wire it up. I'm very serious. I have driven headphone systems with 200 watt PA amps and it worked perfectly. My headphone amp I'm using now (and have for the last 5 or 6 years) is 50 watts.

Rat, Aren't you concerned about the impedance? If you put, say, 4 pairs of 8-ohm headphones in parallel, your overall impedance is 2 ohms. Isn't there at least some potential for blowing the amp?

more info

i realy need at most 4 headphones. is there a way to use the separate aux outs on my mixer and wire them somehow so i can have 4 headphone channels. so i can use my mixer to send different instruments to different headphones?

In that case, each pair of headphones would need its own amp channel. But there's no reason why it couldn't be done. But we're no longer talking about using that old 15-watt amp, unless it happens to have four channels.

DonF said:
Rat, Aren't you concerned about the impedance? If you put, say, 4 pairs of 8-ohm headphones in parallel, your overall impedance is 2 ohms. Isn't there at least some potential for blowing the amp?
All my headphones are 35 ohms (4 pairs=6.25 ohms). Even so, they don't draw much so I've never had a problem even with different amp/headphone combos.

well i did Somthin?

i used some input jacks from a pedal that didnt work and connected both of them to what the speaker was connected to. it works but theres a a lot of noise, useing the most decriptive advice possible. what do you think i should change. the volume isnt much of a problem i just have to keep it low.

Back