I need honest opinion - Comparing it with the popular/professional music in general - Updated 7/30/2023

Updated 7/30/2023

Sorry for late reply.
I had to remake the song using different sound source. I did not like the stock virtual instrument sounds that comes with my DAW.
I uploaded "People Please Version 2" see attached version 2 below.
I will leave the original file for comparison.
Felt that mixing with the new sound source was a lot easier than the stock sounds.

Any reply before 7/30/2023 was related to the original file and may not be for version 2.
Thanks!

-------------------------
Original Post

Please critique....People Pleaser mp3 file
This is the best I can do in terms of mixing. I was trying to compare it with some professional popular music like Katy Perry, etc....
But it seems there is some sort missing. Its really hard to explain.... perhaps, it lacks the "resonance" that a popular music has.
For example, the vocals of popular music seems to have a "thing" that pulls it out of the mixing.

I use virtual instruments (Xpand2 and NI)

I believe it still a little bit dull

Any feed back or suggestion would be great!

I wanted my mix to sound like this

Especially thr vocals. It sounds like the vocals is getting pulled out to “resonate”.

She's beautiful!
Great song too!

Jeff

I didn't follow the whole thread. Listened to the version that was posted second. I'm the wrong one to comment on popular music, as my era is 60s and 70s, but it sounds good to my ears. More reverb than I'd like to see, but probably consistent with current trends. Vocalist has a nice voice. All in all, well done.

Back