I need honest opinion - Comparing it with the popular/professional music in general - Updated 7/30/2023

jerberson12

mucis procedure
Updated 7/30/2023

Sorry for late reply.
I had to remake the song using different sound source. I did not like the stock virtual instrument sounds that comes with my DAW.
I uploaded "People Please Version 2" see attached version 2 below.
I will leave the original file for comparison.
Felt that mixing with the new sound source was a lot easier than the stock sounds.

Any reply before 7/30/2023 was related to the original file and may not be for version 2.
Thanks!

-------------------------
Original Post

Please critique....People Pleaser mp3 file
This is the best I can do in terms of mixing. I was trying to compare it with some professional popular music like Katy Perry, etc....
But it seems there is some sort missing. Its really hard to explain.... perhaps, it lacks the "resonance" that a popular music has.
For example, the vocals of popular music seems to have a "thing" that pulls it out of the mixing.

I use virtual instruments (Xpand2 and NI)

I believe it still a little bit dull

Any feed back or suggestion would be great!

I wanted my mix to sound like this

Especially thr vocals. It sounds like the vocals is getting pulled out to “resonate”.

Attachments

• People-Pleaser-Latest(1).mp3
    7.6 MB
  • People-Pleaser Latest Version 2.mp3
    7.5 MB
Last edited:
In addition to a very nice song I think the track, mix, tone balances, vocals and harmonies, all close to spot on.
Might it be taken that 'another 5%'? Perhaps. I would like to hear one with the vocal up just a bit (just a bit) to see?

I wouldn't consider it dull.

If I were going to make one change, it would be to bring the piano down a bit, especially in the chorus. When everything comes in, the sound gets congested to me, which makes the vocals get a bit lost. And maybe dial back a touch in the 1-2K region - just a touch, 1 1/2 or 2 dB. It just sounds a little peaky to me, Other than that, the song sounds pretty good.

Thanks for all the feedback

Especially thr vocals. It sounds like the vocals is getting pulled out to “resonate”.

Any ideas? Tube compressor? High end mic?

... Any ideas?

yeah, that's the dolby a-trick

go to youtube and do a search for this:

Mixing Tips the "John Lennon" Dolby A Trick Effect

^ really good vid about it (go to 7:37 to hear the difference between the effect being disabled/used). the vid owner has blocked his content from being posted on forums like this for some reason 🤪 so you'll have to search youtube and watch it there

Please critique....People Pleaser mp3 file
This is the best I can do in terms of mixing. I was trying to compare it with some professional popular music like Katy Perry, etc....
But it seems there is some sort missing. Its really hard to explain.... perhaps, it lacks the "resonance" that a popular music has.
For example, the vocals of popular music seems to have a "thing" that pulls it out of the mixing.

I use virtual instruments (Xpand2 and NI)

I believe it still a little bit dull

Any feed back or suggestion would be great!

I think you are close on the sound - but you are off on the mix - much more separation and insulation between the instruments and vocals - also it sounds like she has some sort of Gate on the vocals - which I think is how she is getting the staccato/clipped sound.

also it sounds like she has some sort of Gate on the vocals - which I think is how she is getting the staccato/clipped sound.
I think your right about some sort of gate. I was not using gate at all but its my compressor. I think I was using the wrong compressor.
I should have use a proper standard compressor. I was using a leveling amplifier which gives that "gating
on vocals. It lessen the "power" of the track.

I think your right about some sort of gate. I was not using gate at all but its my compressor. I think I was using the wrong compressor.
I should have use a proper standard compressor. I was using a leveling amplifier which gives that "gating
on vocals. It lessen the "power" of the track.
While there are compressors better suited to certain jobs - it is not likely that you used the wrong one - just the wrong settings - What Compressor are using?

The first thing I noticed was how wide the backing tracks were on the Kella song . Like a lot of mid side processing with the highs boosted on the outside. I think Your mix is very nice. I do think there is a little missing low end drive that would help , and the vocals could use some de-essing . A little brittle in spots. All in all Very Nice .. mark

@jerberson12

I *think* this would do it for the vocals:
- De-ess more
- Boost broadly at 5k or 6k - about 2db

But there is more going on in the reference mix. Hesitantly posting this sample. I think you are close, and ... also love this as a song - music, lyrics and production. So good! :)

Attachments

• People Pleaser.mp3
    9.2 MB
Updated 7/30/2023

Sorry for late reply.
I had to remake the song using different sound source. I did not like the stock virtual instrument sounds that comes with my DAW.
I uploaded "People Please Version 2" see attached version 2 from the first post.
Felt that mixing with the new sound source was a lot easier than the stock sounds.

It seems the plugins work well and respond well with the new sound source. I don't really know.
May be it has something to do with how they recorded the instruments.

Any reply before 7/30/2023 was related to the original file and may not be for version 2.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I thought it sounded pretty decent - but I don't have much expertise in the genre.

I read a comment about the vocal needing de-essing, and I agree. You might try a multiband compressor in the mid-2ks, about an octave wide - pulling down 3-6dbs peak. It would make the vocal sound a little smoother I think. It's just slightly bite-y.

Thanks for all the feedback

Any ideas? Tube compressor? High end mic?

I liked this one. It's great. But I like it better when I don't watch the video. When I watch the video, your questions about the sound make sense, but when I don't watch it and just listen, it sounds fine. I usually love watching people perform their music, but with this one, there seems to be a disjunct between what I'm watching and what I'm hearing. Also, the vocals are clear and discernible, so the captioning's just distracting for me. But to put all this into perspective, I'll repeat: I liked this one. It's great.

Thanks!
Did you Quantize the Piano and other Instruments? It sounds like it - IMO you should loosen them up a bit - BTW the Vocals are better - more up front than before - a great song overall - is this written for someone else and this is the demo?

If I heard this, it would not occur to me it was anything other than a polished 'normal' release - in content or balance. It works. The single shot head and constantly changing captions also work fine - not a style I personally like, but it wouldn't be amiss in any way.

Updated 7/30/2023

Sorry for late reply.
I uploaded "People Please Version 2" see attached version 2 below.

Thanks!
Both versions are so vastly different it's impossible to give a mix critique. Which version does the artist want to release?? If it's the EDM one, see my above post. If it's the acoustic one, that's a whole other thing

You are very close. Nicely done. A little off the top (de-ess a touch). Watch your reverb fade times, just a touch long. That is being picky.. well done!

Back