I need a new Large Diaphragm condenser- can you help me choose?

RJrules64

Hi all,

In the recent years I've slowly accumulated most of the studio equipment I need, however for my LDC I'm still using the first mic I ever got from about 4 years ago, a USB Samson G track.

I don't know why I've been so slow to upgrade it, when personally I use my LDC the most out of all mics in the studio.

I don't want to spend any more than $500, preferably about $300, so I'm looking for just one all-purpose mic, that would be decent for Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, and Vocals (mostly, but not limited to for -Male, Rock/Pop).

I've used an AKG Perception 420 before and I liked it quite a lot. I used it on all of the above instruments and was pretty impressed. I really like that it is multi-pattern. If my new mic has multi-pattern, that would be a huge bonus, but i'd prefer a quality cardiod-only over an alright mic with more patterns.

However the AKG seemed to be pretty muddy on vocals. I'm not sure if it was the performance or the room or the mic though, anyone got any experience with this mic?

I know this sounds really superficial, but I also really like the look of the 420. Some mics I have checked out just don't look all that appealing to me. If I'm going to blow $500 on a mic, I want it to look good in my studio :P I also really like the look of most Audio Technica Mics.

I have also been looking at the AT4040, anyone got any opinions on that? Apparently it's almost too transparent to use on vocals, not enough colour?

Does anyone have any opinions on these or other suggestions?
Thanks so much for your time!

TL;DR:
I need an all purpose LDC Sub $500. AKG Perception 420? Audio Technica AT4040? Other?

Well, people are going to call me a broken record but I'd put the sE2200A II C on your list--I bought my first of the original 2200A mics some years ago and now own five (a mix of the originals and the newer II models) which are my go to vocal mic for most voices.

There's also a more expensive model with switchable pattern--a useful feature if it doesn't take you out of your budget range. It would for me here in Aus but things are usually cheaper elsewhere.

Well, people are going to call me a broken record but I'd put the sE2200A II C on your list--I bought my first of the original 2200A mics some years ago and now own five (a mix of the originals and the newer II models) which are my go to vocal mic for most voices.

There's also a more expensive model with switchable pattern--a useful feature if it doesn't take you out of your budget range. It would for me here in Aus but things are usually cheaper elsewhere.

Hm, looks pretty good and within budget.. it looks a little long to fit in some tight places but I bet thered always be around that issue.
How does it work with instruments other than vocals? (Also in Aus btw :) )

I've never tried it on electric guitar (I prefer a dynamic for that) but it's done a good job on acoustic guitar when I want something a bit warmer than my usual SDC stereo pair choice. It was also good on a grand piano when I miked it with a pair outside an open lid--never tried them with closer miking techniques (fan of SDC again).

I've never tried it on electric guitar (I prefer a dynamic for that) but it's done a good job on acoustic guitar when I want something a bit warmer than my usual SDC stereo pair choice. It was also good on a grand piano when I miked it with a pair outside an open lid--never tried them with closer miking techniques (fan of SDC again).

Thanks, that's good to know!
I usually like a combination of LDC in center and panned SDC for solo acoustic, and SM57 + LDC for Electric, so I use it a lot haha! Hence why I need an upgrade :/

The newish Rode NT-1 gets some good rep'. Like most of the Rode family it has very low self noise, useful in an all purpose mic?

If you want cool looking AND a bloody good mic, check out the black version of the Sontronics STC-2. I have one and would say it is on the neutral side of any "character". Has 20dB pad and HPF.

Sontronics - STC-2 large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone Ooops! has a TEN dB pad.

Dave.

The maudio sputnik is on sale today (nov. 1 2014) for $250 at musicians friend - the stupid deal of the day

The maudio sputnik is on sale today (nov. 1 2014) for $250 at musicians friend - the stupid deal of the day

About the same self-noise as the above-mentioned SE. The Sputnik has generally been enjoying a good reputation for a while. MF doesn't really provide additional info on the Sputnik but if you go to go to zZounds.com you can get an idea of what comes with the package and read some user reviews (as can you on HomeRecording). SoundOnSound also has a freely available review on it. At this price, I pulled the trigger on one. It's not often you see a multipattern tube mic at this price.

Paj
8^)

arcaxis, Paj, do you like the sputnik mic? I've never even seen one, but I've heard recordings made with them that I like.

The newish Rode NT-1 gets some good rep'. Like most of the Rode family it has very low self noise, useful in an all purpose mic?

If you want cool looking AND a bloody good mic, check out the black version of the Sontronics STC-2. I have one and would say it is on the neutral side of any "character". Has 20dB pad and HPF.

Sontronics - STC-2 large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone Ooops! has a TEN dB pad.

Dave.

I have to agree 100% with what ecc83 recommends here! The Rode NT1-A is a fantastic little microphone, and I managed to pick one up for £90 pre-owned. No bells and whistles on this microphone, just a lovely bright character. A great addition to the microphone locker!

As for the Sontronics recommendation, these microphones are very nice indeed! What's more is that the staff are very friendly and make it their priority to get to know and help you with your specific needs. I bet if you gave them an email, they would be more than willing to help you out.

A recommendation from me would be the Shure KSM32, if you can pick one up second hand. Cool microphone with 2 low pass filters and a 15dB pad. Sounds fantastic on acoustic guitar! FWIW, I put together a microphone shootout between the Rode and the Shure for acoustic guitar a while back on my blog.

Hope this helps!

The real confusion is between the old version gray NT1 (which I have) and the new NT1 (black) and when an "NT1" gets recommended in a thread. They supposedly each have a slightly different sound.

Very useful info :) A shootout between the NT1 (old), NT1 (new), and NT1-A would be cool - if anyone owned all three microphones that is.

Back