[SOLVED] I have a question about audio adapters...

Hrvach

So I've been watching a lot of videos about microphones, phantom power etc. and as you can all see I am pretty new at this stuff so don't get mad at me please :D. The guy I am watching is Podcastage and he stopped recommending Sabrent audio adapters because the company that makes them has changed the chip inside and now it doesn't provide enough voltage for the microphone. My question is: "Will me buying a Phantom power supply fix the entire problem or am I gonna have to spend a 100$ (which I don't have) on an audio interface?"

My question if the cheaper method works is: "Do I even need the audio adapter or can I just plug the XLR to 3.5 mm jack cable directly from the Phantom power supply to my PC?"

If you need the link to the video just ask.

Again I apologize for the (maybe) stupid questions and the long post. I am new to all of this and I hope that you will help me.

When I was looking for additional Phantom, I bought a cheap mixer. The inline Phantom power box should be fine.

Anything Sabrent is consumer-grade crap intended for laymen to be able to run skype or talk shit to people while playing video games. If you're looking for anything like professional results, look for a real audio interface. Many of them include 48V phantom power that will run an XLR condenser mic. Then again, the fact that you're even talking about Sabrent makes me wonder if you're talking about electret mics which generally have 1/8" connections and run off of 5V power which is not at all the same thing, so a real phantom power box won't help with that.

One question might be; Use a dynamic mic. Why spend on a phantom powered mic + power supply going to '3mm pc sound card?

Thank you all for your replies!! I really appreciate it! I understand everything I should and I have found out additional information myself. I will probably just get a dynamic microphone since it is much cheaper and I don't have a 100$ for an audio adapter.

Again thank you!

Thank you all for your replies!! I really appreciate it! I understand everything I should and I have found out additional information myself. I will probably just get a dynamic microphone since it is much cheaper and I don't have a 100$ for an audio adapter.

Again thank you!
Some how I'm getting the feeling you're intending to plug a dynamic mic into the 3.5mm jack on the computer(?) It can be done with the right cable, but it will pretty much suck. If your budget is tight and you can't do a mic plus decent interface, there are USB connected microphones that aren't all too expensive and sound fairly decent.
There are both USB condenser and dynamic mics. I bought this USB dynamic for a particular purpose Audio-Technica AT2005USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone | Sweetwater . It sounds OK and also can be connected with an XLR cord if you should later decide to upgrade to a real interface. Being a dynamic, it's intended to be used fairly close to the mouth when using it.
Don't buy too cheap, check the reviews on mics, and search for Youtube videos on a mic you're considering.

Your use is podcasting?

I bought one of these...Amazon.co.uk: everesta bm-800

Mainly because they are SO cheap I could not believe they would be any good! They are! Well, not 'good' exactly but really very acceptable for general speech work.
They are not a USB mic. They come with an XLR to stereo 3.5mm jack cable and plug into and are powered by (electret capsule) the laptop. Some optimization of the gains setting in Windows is needed. The advantage of the mic, aside from the silly price is that they can be used with a proper AI or mixer with 48V phantom power.

A word of caution: My sample worked fine but I have read reports of non-workers or poor results, e,g, noise, so test on day of delivery and get from a reputable source. I guess QC does not happen for 20 quid mics!

Dave.

Back