• I can play forever and strings last and last

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • My strings go dead in two weeks or so

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • My strings last about a week of daily use

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I play so hard I break strings before they die

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have acid/sweaty fingers I kill strings !!!

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I didn't know you were ever supposed to change strings!

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I like to eat greasy fried chicken before I play!

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
For some while ago I read in the local newspaper about a guy who really had a problem about his hand sweat. He went thru a kind of surgery where they cut a specific nerv accessing thru the underarm.
For some it seems to be really bad.

i seem to recall some kind of pads being sold that supposedly cut down on sweat output wherever they were used.

i read ......

i read where EVH takes his strings off and boils them to clean them off ,thats been awhile since i read that .......i also read kurt kirkwood of th meat puppets changed his between "every"take ,i dont see how he could keep them from slipping and stretching ....seems a little excessive to me on both accounts

Quoting Bullyhill:

"I string my wolfgang backwards and if a string breaks I just unwind a little more and I'm back in business"

Come again???

bd

mine usually last 2-3 weeks, sometimes less sometimes more.
even though they corrode, they don't lose that much brightness. it's something psychological too, i think. you think that because they don't shine, they have no brightness, right?
i always wash my hands before playing, but that seems to do more good to the guitar's finish than to the strings.
i change my strings a few days before i record, so they have the time to set in.

Is there wear at fret positions....

This is a big clue to me about how much playing time the string has seen.
On an accoustic guitar:
Inspect your wound "g" string (No pun intended) for wear at the place where it contacts the 2nd and 3rd fret.

Is it flattened out?

Is there a big dent"

Is the outer winding completely separated?

If there is very little visible wear, but the strings sound dead, you can coil the strings up and place them in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or so, then wipe them off with a clean rag (Notice the black marks!) and you will be amazed that they will sound as good as new! (I have never tried this with Elixer type coated strings)

Dom
:p :p

"I string my wolfgang backwards and if a string breaks I just unwind a little more and I'm back in business"

"Come again???"

I think he's talking about stringing locking trem guitars with the ball-ends at the headstock end. I do this all the time on my floyd rose'd Ibanez - if you break a string, it's invariably at the bridge, so if you do it mid-song, you can unlock yer nut and bridge, unwind your string at the headstck (I leave the ball end and about 1" of string sticking out of the tuner) pull thru the extra length, and hook the string back up! Hey presto, a replacement string that's pre-stretched, not 10 times as bright as the others and stays in tune from the outset. Putting a new string on a guit with a floyd mid-gig is a nightmare!!!

Also, I find that different brands corrode differently for different people. D'addarios last longest for me, and GHS's corrode in 5 seconds flat, but I have friends for whom the exact opposite is true! Try different brands and see for yourself...

Steve

mine last for a really long time except for that g string if i don't play my guitar for a week every string will be fine except that g string if i bend it once in a song it goes out of tune and that's when i change my strings

Viva La Me

Personally I hate the sound of brand new strings, so I let then fade a little before I do any "real" playing.

I have never heard of boiling the strings. How ever I have heard of putting them in the freezer. I do not know, but I would imagine that they would corrode after they were removed from the freezer.

Back