I challenge thee to... uh.... a CHALLENGE!!! (Updated: Please read)

Im in on this since I usually dont "mix" my stuff....just isnt worth it.....:D

this thread should spark a bunch of creativity....

btw, a monkey wrench to the testicles is a good Autotune simulator for those of us who are co-dependant......:rolleyes:

Khompewtur said:
Where are they gonna be??

You should make like a special dedicated thread that should not be for any comments but solely for the link to each participant's song.

Then when the inevitable happens we can all chant "JAAAAACK-AASSSS JAAAAAAAACK-ASS You posted in the contest thread!"
Actually... we tried that... and it didn't work out too well.

Here's my suggestion...

Everyone should start their own thread when they are finished, and title it beginning with the letters "HRC:". (which stands for HomeRecording.com Challenge) That way, we'll know a Challenge thread right when we see one.

You can then leave all comments about a song in its own thread.

WATYF

muzeman said:
I just want to make sure I have it right.

You can use eq,dynamics when tracking,but that's it.

How about vocal/acoustic doubling,and slipping tracks to get a delay?
I usually do both.

Pete
No... actually that's not right.. See rule #2. :p

You can't use any signal chain effects AT ALL unless they are inherent to the instrument. In other words... if your keyboard has compression/EQ on one of its presets.. then you can use that keyboard/preset... but your voice and your acoustic guitar do NOT have compression or EQ built into them, so you can't use it. (out-board or otherwise)

Now,... since electric guitar effects are basically a "part" of playing electric guitar, you can use those. We don't want clean guitar sounds only.

The point is that you can't "wet" down your signal unless that effect was already there when it came out of the instrument.

As for doubling and slipping... yes... definitely... you can quadruple your vocal for all I care. :p And you can slip your tracks all you want. :p Mixing techniques are allowed. (See rule #10. :p)

WATYF

WATYF said:
Now,... since electric guitar effects are basically a "part" of playing electric guitar, you can use those. We don't want clean guitar sounds only.

WATYF

So amp Reverbs,Delay Pedals etc. are allowed on guitars?

Kramer said:
So amp Reverbs,Delay Pedals etc. are allowed on guitars?
Yup....

Just don't try to cheat by mic'ing your vocals while running them through your amp's reverb. :D

WATYF

How about if I put a mic in the kitchen, and leave the door to the studio open while tracking? Is that acceptable?

Uh-oh. I shouldn't have posted that, should I?

:D

ok im singing through the floor fan ..ala...darth vader and im going to a freinds house to call my answering machine to record my guitar part.....thats legal right?!?!?!?

if i sing through a guitar effect run through my walkman headphones that i hold up to my dictaphone....is that too much of a signal chain..??:D

oooohhh.... looks like we got our first victim.

and he even titled his thread properly... :D

I gotta go check it. :p

WATYF

I live in a concert hall, so that's a natural reverb. And I'm such an amazing singer that I can sing every delay real time. Good singers (like me) with proper microphone technique don't need compressors. All choruses are natural too, I just sing the same part twice....but alter the intonation just a tiny bit. Real good bass players (like me) don't need compression, they just play very consistently. Extremely good guitarplayers (like me) know exactly when to change their pickup setting to make it sound good. No need to apply equalisers afterwards. On top of that: I'm a really top notch drum programmer....I play everything in realtime on my little masterkeyboard, even the super fast tom fills.

So it's all natural.....I'm such an amazing creature I even make myself sick sometimes.

Actually, I'm not. Without effects, compressors & equalisers I'm lost....I shall post a song in the near future to prove it...

LOL :D

Pedullist said:
I live in a concert hall, so that's a natural reverb. And I'm such an amazing singer that I can sing every delay real time. Good singers (like me) with proper microphone technique don't need compressors. All choruses are natural too, I just sing the same part twice....but alter the intonation just a tiny bit. Real good bass players (like me) don't need compression, they just play very consistently. Extremely good guitarplayers (like me) know exactly when to change their pickup setting to make it sound good. No need to apply equalisers afterwards. On top of that: I'm a really top notch drum programmer....I play everything in realtime on my little masterkeyboard, even the super fast tom fills.

So it's all natural.....I'm such an amazing creature I even make myself sick sometimes.

Actually, I'm not. Without effects, compressors & equalisers I'm lost....I shall post a song in the near future to prove it...

Dude,you almost had me with that one,I was just about to ask for an autograph.:D
(BTW-Your avatar captions get funnier every time I see them!)

Pedullist said:

Mr. Bean:

You are so twisted....( in a good way ) LMAO!
Can't wait to hear you totally naked!

I'm In! Cheese & crackers... I might even sing!....if I do.......

CHRIS :
should I sing into my SM-58 sideways? or..........

KRAMER :
should I put an old sock on it?

someone give me a ruling on drum loops and drum samples...if they are pre-verbed on the sample CD, is it allowed?.....

Song challenge? Dry mix? No efx?

Dry mix/no efx describes everything I've recorded in the last 3 years!

Can I give an entry from my archives, or is it required to be newly recorded?

The last song I produced was in January, and I suppose I'm due for another one. I'll see if I can come up with something new!

-no promises-;)

Gidge said:
someone give me a ruling on drum loops and drum samples...if they are pre-verbed on the sample CD, is it allowed?.....
Drum loops are allowed... even if they have reverb on them... but you couldn't add reverb to them if they didn't already have it. :p

WATYF

Well, here I am, Mr. Where's My EQ, Reverb, and Compression! This is turning into a greater challenge than I thought it might be. Worked on two things today. Might post one of them. Again, the hard thing is to get the mic placement right when you have to use headphones to judge. Oh, it sounds fine in the phones....gee, where is all that BASS coming from?! Wheres my EQ cut? :D MAN, That vocal sounds dry! ETC.

Despite all, its a GREAT challenge to try to get a great recording without all the normal crutch gismos. Anybody else going thropugh withdrawls?:D

WATYF said:
No... actually that's not right.. See rule #2. :p

You can't use any signal chain effects AT ALL unless they are inherent to the instrument. In other words... if your keyboard has compression/EQ on one of its presets.. then you can use that keyboard/preset... but your voice and your acoustic guitar do NOT have compression or EQ built into them, so you can't use it. (out-board or otherwise)

The point is that you can't "wet" down your signal unless that effect was already there when it came out of the instrument.

As for doubling and slipping... yes... definitely... you can quadruple your vocal for all I care. :p And you can slip your tracks all you want. :p Mixing techniques are allowed. (See rule #10. :p)

WATYF

Lord: Guards! Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room until I come and get him.
Guard: Not to leave the room. Even if you come and get him.

No, no. Until I come and get him.
Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.

No, no. You stay in the room and make sure he doesn't leave.
And you'll come and get him.

Right.
We don't need to do anything, apart from just stop him from entering the room.

No, no. Leaving the room.
Leaving the room. Yes.

Alright?
Fine. Oh.. if if if if if ahhh if we... if if if ...

Look, it's quite simple. You just stay here, and make sure he doesn't leave the room. Alright?
Oh, I remember. Ahh can he leave the room with us?

No... you just keep him in here, and make sure...
Oh, yes. We'll keep him in here, obviously. But if he had to leave and we were with him...

No, just keep him in here...
...Until you or anyone else...

No, not anyone else. Just me.
Just you..

...get back.
Get back.

Right?
Right. We'll stay here until you get back.

And make sure he doesn't leave.
What?

Make sure he doesn't leave.
The Prince?

Yes. Make sure he doen't leave!
Ohh, yes. Of course! I thought you meant him. You know it seemed a bit daff to guard him when he's a guard.

Is that clear?
Oh, quite clear. No problems.

Right. (He starts to leave, the guards follow) Where are you going?
We're coming with you.

No, I want you to stay here, and make sure he doesn't leave.
Oh I see. Right.

Last edited:
WATYF said:
How about May 30th???
Probably too late to make a diff, but I'll have time after 5/30 to work on this - questionable if I'll find time before. I was really counting on Friday the 13th...

Daf (black cat crossed my trail! Wah wah... wah wah)

dafduc said:
Lord: Guards! Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room until I come and get him.
Guard: Not to leave the room. Even if you come and get him.

Lord: No, no. Until I come and get him.
Guard: Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.

Lord: No, no. You stay in the room and make sure he doesn't leave.
Guard: And you'll come and get him.

Lord: Right.
Guard: We don't need to do anything, apart from just stop him from entering the room.

Lord: No, no. Leaving the room.
Guard: Leaving the room. Yes.

Lord: Alright?
Guard: Fine. Oh.. if if if if if ahhh if we... if if if ...

Lord: Look, it's quite simple. You just stay here, and make sure he doesn't leave the room. Alright?
Guard: Oh, I remember. Ahh can he leave the room with us?

Lord: No... you just keep him in here, and make sure...
Guard: Oh, yes. We'll keep him in here, obviously. But if he had to leave and we were with him...

Lord: No, just keep him in here...
Guard: ...Until you or anyone else...

Lord: No, not anyone else. Just me.
Guard: Just you..

Lord: ...get back.
Guard: Get back.

Lord: Right?
Guard: Right. We'll stay here until you get back.

Lord: And make sure he doesn't leave.
Guard: What?

Lord: Make sure he doesn't leave.
Guard: The Prince?

Lord: Yes. Make sure he doen't leave!
Guard: Ohh, yes. Of course! I thought you meant him. You know it seemed a bit daff to guard him when he's a guard.

Lord: Is that clear?
Guard: Oh, quite clear. No problems.

Lord: Right. (He starts to leave, the guards follow) Where are you going?
Guard: We're coming with you.

Lord: No, I want you to stay here, and make sure he doesn't leave.
Guard: Oh I see. Right.
LOLOL...

:D :D

yeah... that's aboot what it feels like.

:p

(Monty Python rules!)

WATYF

dafduc said:
Probably too late to make a diff, but I'll have time after 5/30 to work on this - questionable if I'll find time before. I was really counting on Friday the 13th...

Daf (black cat crossed my trail! Wah wah... wah wah)
Ah... don't sweat it... We've already got submissions coming in... and I'm sure there'll be a steady stream of them for the next few weeks. The deadline is just a day to shoot for. Hell... I still have yet to start working on my tune for the last challenge.

WATYF

Back