Hypomania

BillyBenson

Here's a track I just finished mixing today. Just used basic eq cuts/boosts, some comp, multiband on the master along with some overall eq (LinEQ), and a master limiter for loudness.
I've been mixing for like.. hmmm, 4 months.. self taught.. trying to find a studio around town for some hands on learning.. may go to school for this. Point out all flaws, please (I live in a town full of people who think anything audible sounds good, so not much help from the local music scene).

Tic Tic Tic. You've got some clipping going when it all hits. I like the hammered industrial piano sound (@ about 2:05-2:20 & 3:05 to 3:20). Nice, warm pads.

literally been sitting here waiting for a relpy, haha. >__< how do i determine clipping? i think i've got that & peaking confused.

We may be talking about the same thing. I'm hearing a loud TIC at certain spots in the mix where the mix peaks. Clipping usually lasts longer, but I just called it that for a quick mention.
You should be able to see in your DAW (not sure what you're using and it wouldn't help me to know as I only use Reason), but there should be something that shows your clip (red light usually) and your meters should go in the red in correlation with each of those tics.
You can do a manual compression by zooming in on the waveform until you have a very few waves. Center on where the click occurs. Zoom in until you start to see waves, not block. Look for waves that are square on top and bottom and banging against the 0dBFS mark. Use whatever cut tool or what-have-you in your DAW to mark either side of the offending waveforms. Select and grab the white/red horizontal line that goes across the cut clip and pull it down. Loop and listen as you pull down until the loud click goes away. Repeat as necessary.
:D

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night. My wife came home and we sat down to relax before bed.

Really appreciate it. I'm using Adobe Audition. I was using nothing but waves plugins at one point, but I realized that it isn't about the plugins, it's how you use them, so I use the stock plugins it came with and use a waves plugin when I feel like things should be a bit different.
Thank you for the advice, I'll be posting more mixes soon.

Is that clipping or is that just the sound of the kick sample? It might just be the sample (is the sample itself clipped?). Billy - every time that one kick sample fires, there is a little clicky/static-y sound. It sort of distracts from what is otherwise a pretty good sounding mix.

now that you mention it, it is the kick. I opened up my DaW and solo'd the track. The sad thing is I noticed it before, and just left it alone because I assumed it was just apart of the sample (My novice garments are showing, eh?) Gonna look for a freq i can drop right now. Thanks man.

*Sigh* I guess it has hing to do with the drumpad I was using in FL(Default, plain stuff, but so much potential) , because I can drop he freq of the kick, but the Q would have to be crazy low. >.< and that's gonna take away too much from the overall sound of it.. I wonder if I could gate it? (Never used a gate, but it seems like something that may help..)
Any other suggestions besides the clicky kick? I'm open to all.

Back