Hum with AT2020 Microphone

wcameron

I just purchased an Audio Technica AT2020 mic to conect to my computer using my Zoom H4n as the audio interface. I'm having a problem with buzz in the mic. I've tried a different Mic cable and that did not solve the problem. I also tried a different computer (a laptop) with and without the power supply connected and got the same problem.

I appreciate any suggestions. I'm just beginning to do some more serious recording and I'd like to get this solved.

Do you have any other condenser mics you can test with? It's probably either a defective Mic or a defective Zoom, but there's no way to know which without testing a second phantom-powered mic.

Also, I suggest setting your location. That way, you might be able to get connected with folks in your area and borrow a condenser mic for testing if you don't have one.

Do you have EVERYTHING plugged into the same wall socket?
(computer, interface, monitors, etc.)

Audio components plugged into separate circuits (you can and probably do have more than one in the same room) are a good way to introduce hum...

I don't think either the mic or the zoom are defective. If I disconnect the usb cable and record on the zoom from the 2020 the buz disappears. Thanks for the advice, I've also set my location - any other canucks out there?

Tim I do have the Zoom plugged into a different source then the Computer and monitors. I do question the power in my apartment - I know the phone lines were very noisy.

Should I be replacing the Zoom with some sort of audio interface? Will that buffer the power challenges? I'll try plugging the zoom into my ups along with the computer and monitor.

I appreciate all the assistance.

Back