HR Members guitar design and build thread

I have always had a soft spot for the early '60s les paul special.
Maybe I would upsize the body a bit

Attachments

• LP Special.jpg
    LP Special.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 22
I have always had a soft spot for the early '60s les paul special.
Maybe I would upsize the body a bit

Don't wish to be picky or sound dismissive but where would we go with that to make it better/more interesting/different? I agree they are pretty cool guitars but the natural extension was the Les Paul standard and then on to LP specials. Sell it too me.:)

The similarity doesn't just jump at you does it:D

I think I like the Jackson better though mainly because it looks a little more balanced with the headstock and fingerboard. I like the thought of the chambered hollow approach too. Also fun and cool to do..

I was only referring to the body shape. I would probably want to increase the width of the lower bout to 14" or maybe 14.5", Make it chambered or semi-hollow. Some kind of "F" hole would be fun. We could even make it asymetrical if you want. I would prefer to avoid copying an existing design. This was just another starting point.

I was only referring to the body shape. I would probably want to increase the width of the lower bout to 14" or maybe 14.5", Make it chambered or semi-hollow. Some kind of "F" hole would be fun. We could even make it asymetrical if you want. I would prefer to avoid copying an existing design. This was just another starting point.

Right gotcha. I was really just angling to get your take on it. I think it's important that whatever we decide has something distinctive about it. I'll have a think and throw some ideas out there.

If I get some time I'll try to draw up something tonight.

You know the more I think about the more I can see that it's gonna be a challenge to make it distinctive. The Les Paul Special is such a simple guitar on it's own that any tinkering kind of takes it right to what Gibson have already done. Not surprising as it was kind of the base for all their other models that followed. If you look at it in terms of what fender did with the tele thinline they chambered out the body and added f holes. With the LP spec you could go that route but you'd end up with a LP special chambered guitar. Not a bad thing as I don't recall ever seeing one. Lots that are slightly different but none that are a dead LP spec copy but hollowed out. I'm not sure thats what we are after though. Others might have other ideas...

I like the chambered idea and if you put f-holes in it personally I'd rather something like the elongated diamonds on a Trini Lopez rather than standard F holes ..... that's a tired shape.
And I also prefer the Jackson ..... it's just more interesting looking to me with the two very slanted lipstick p'ups and the pickguard shape.

I like the chambered idea and if you put f-holes in it personally I'd rather something like the elongated diamonds on a Trini Lopez rather than standard F holes ..... that's a tired shape.
And I also prefer the Jackson ..... it's just more interesting looking to me with the two very slanted lipstick p'ups and the pickguard shape.

Nothing against playing with different f hole shapes. I don't really like the Trini Lopez but thats just me.. I've always wanted to do a lightening flash, this could be my chance. Don't recall ever seeing a decent one..

I've never much cared for F-Holes either. I always thought it would be cool to have ports follow the edge of the guitar.

Something like this, but maybe longer. Follow the shape of the guitar better and more homogenously in width.

untitled.png

I've never much cared for F-Holes either. I always thought it would be cool to have ports follow the edge of the guitar.

Something like this, but maybe longer. Follow the shape of the guitar better and more homogenously in width.

View attachment 67673

A good f hole is a thing of beauty in the right place. Just not on these..

Any way we are getting ahead of ourselves.. Is it to chambered or hollow body? We haven't decided yet..

Back