HR Members guitar design and build thread

Moi!!

Seriously though I only asked because now we have most of the principle choices made that have to be done we move onto the harder part which is talking about type and style.

I want to open the floor to everyone so we can chew over some ideas about what this thing should look like and what style it should take on. Only then can we move on to choices of wood, hardware, aesthetics. So when you lot are ready lets here some ideas that we can run with.....

Not totally, but definitely not a strat or tele body. And nothing that looks "metal".

I kind of agree with that. That was my point about thru necks. They all look 80's metal big hair.....

I have plans for the firebird. In fact I have outlines and plans for most if anyone wants to work from them..

I kind of agree with that. That was my point about thru necks. They all look 80's metal big hair.....

I have plans for the firebird. In fact I have outlines and plans for most if anyone wants to work from them..

I don't think through necks look 80's at all. Isn't the bolt-on the preferred neck of 80's big hair? Aren't Ibanzez, Jacksons, and Charvels all mostly bolt-ons?

I like the shapes of some of the old oddball Vox, Dan Electro, and the new retro Eastwood guitars.

Something a little off-kilter, but not crazy, like this:
gtr_green-bighorn.jpg

Since you gave a little extra time, I've decided to vote for set neck. As for body design, I kinda like Music Man, and Fernandez had good looking surfer-type guitars. Just throwing ideas out there.

I have a Vega, if anyone's ever heard of them, and it's best looking guitar ever, IMO. I'm off to find a pic, if I can

I like neck thrus because I like the results I have gotten from them ...... I know that's not muttley's opinion (that they increase sustain) and I accept the fact that bolt ons and set necks can have equal sustain and, in fact, I've had bolt ons with equal sustain but I just 'feel' something when playing a neck-thru in the vibration of it.
I do accept that it's possibly just my imagination but playing an instrument and loving it does involve things like imagination.
My Stinnett is neck-thru but with a maple cap and so the looks aren't 80'ish since you can only see the neck thru from the back.

That's not bad looking Greg. I could live with something like that.
For a body shape ..... personally I like smooth flowing lines but the most important thing to me is ergonomics and specifically upper fret access. I frequently play all the way up the neck so being able to get there matters to me. It's one of the things I hate about a paul ...... I can get up there but I really have to reach around that huge body/neck joint area. I have shortish fingers so it's a hindrance to playing up there.
So my main vote on bady shape involves having good access to the upper frets.

this is the vegavega.jpg

I can't find the Fernandes that I was thinking of on their site. maybe it's discontinued or something. no matter, the Vega is an awesome style, but it's a neck-thru

I don't think through necks look 80's at all. Isn't the bolt-on the preferred neck of 80's big hair? Aren't Ibanzez, Jacksons, and Charvels all mostly bolt-ons?

I like the shapes of some of the old oddball Vox, Dan Electro, and the new retro Eastwood guitars.

Something a little off-kilter, but not crazy, like this:
gtr_green-bighorn.jpg

I was thinking more those awful 70's and 80's BC Rich and Alembec monstrosities..

Any hoo that shouldn't cloud the issue here..

Attachments

• bcrich.jpg
    bcrich.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 26
I quite like the way the "surf" style is getting a good airing...

@ Lt. I have no real opinion on the value of increased sustain on a thru neck. The theory and the facts all lead to saying that it should but in practice it is rarely the case. As we've chewed over in the past there is far too many other considerations to make any conclusive judgment. My instinct and experience tells me that you do get a quite big shove up in the mid range and can often be reflected in the decay. Those mid range frequencies seen to hang on with thru necks. Low end with set necks and high end comes through with bolt on but thats just my observation nothing to support it other than big ears..

I agree about feeling the thing. I call it feeling the wood..:o. What it amounts to I think is sensing some of the vibration in your body via the back of the thing. Thats why I love semi and archtop guits. I rely on a bit of that connection. I hate a guitar that just chucks sound out remotely..

I agree also about getting good lines and that Airline, all though pretty cool, is just to angular for me. It could be improved as a base to work from though. Fairly short scale and only 19 fret as well..

@ theDickens, That Vega is the opposite of the Airline. Too "stumpy" for my taste. Fernandes made some awful thru neck strat based stuff in the 80's. I hope it isn't one of them you are thinking of..:D

Fernades FR series

BTW guys when looking at styles and outlines don't limit yourself to existing neck thru, I can accommodate and turn most outlines into neck thru if thats where we go with this..

I'm off to find some pics for inspiration and discussion. Not all necessarily my thing but to get the chat going.

@ theDickens, That Vega is the opposite of the Airline. Too "stumpy" for my taste. Fernandes made some awful thru neck strat based stuff in the 80's. I hope it isn't one of them you are thinking of..:D

Fernades FR series

nope, that's pretty terrible.

I wasn't comparing the Vega to the Airline, but the mystery Fernandes that I can't seem to find. just noting that the Vega has a really cool body. I agree with Greg, tho. it might be a little too rounded. now that I think abou it, it was a little tough getting to the higher frets, too. not bad, but if this ends up being a 24 fret guitar, i'll be tough

BTW guys when looking at styles and outlines don't limit yourself to existing neck thru, I can accommodate and turn most outlines into neck thru if thats where we go with this..

I'm off to find some pics for inspiration and discussion. Not all necessarily my thing but to get the chat going.

haha! actually, it was pure coincidence that my guitar coincides with this thread

Back