HR design and build thread part III - The build.

It's a personal preference. Do you want to go with a standard Fender nut width? If so, do you prefer 41.275 or 42.8625"?

Sorry my bad. I read it wrong. I thought you were talking about the string spacing at the bridge. Thats what we need to decide. The nut is not too much of a problem right now.

We need to know the string spacing at the bridge though so we can mock up the p90...

For the record my preference is for a wider nut.

Thats a possibility and quite easy. Just as easy would be to make the bobbins from ebony.
That looks like it will be your best option with the angled bobbin that will need to be a bit longer.
Once the shape, and the size of the coil is finalized I've got some resources I can use that will better determine how many wraps theoretically would be optimum.
That looks really interesting. I have a lot of experience on post forming and vacuum pressing with timber and plastics from my days at BA and Rolls Royce. Definitely do a walk through with pics if you test it out. If you do lets try and get a few covers made for this. They wouldn't cost much to ship and I'll cover costs.
This is possible. I'm going to try and source some thermoplastic locally this week. For my first effort I'll use ABS which is only available white, or black. I checked at a nearby hobby store yesterday, but they weren't familiar with the process. The owner of the store googled a youtube video, and now he want's to give it a try. He saw the available hobby kits, and was excited about the possibilities. Too bad I didn't go there earlier. He could have done my R&D. :)

It looks like the bridge I drew allows for string spacings from 2" to 2 3/16" (50.80mm to 55.56mm).

With all the saddles in the center position it should give us standard Gibson spacing. That works for me.

It looks like the bridge I drew allows for string spacings from 2" to 2 3/16" (50.80mm to 55.56mm).

With all the saddles in the center position it should give us standard Gibson spacing. That works for me.

OK, 52mm string spacing at the bridge. I shall work out the bobbin width based on that.

That looks like it will be your best option with the angled bobbin that will need to be a bit longer.
Once the shape, and the size of the coil is finalized I've got some resources I can use that will better determine how many wraps theoretically would be optimum.
This is possible. I'm going to try and source some thermoplastic locally this week. For my first effort I'll use ABS which is only available white, or black. I checked at a nearby hobby store yesterday, but they weren't familiar with the process. The owner of the store googled a youtube video, and now he want's to give it a try. He saw the available hobby kits, and was excited about the possibilities. Too bad I didn't go there earlier. He could have done my R&D. :)

I have an hour spare in the morning waiting for some work to come in. I'll waste it mocking up a few p90 bobbins and send you the sizes. One of the problems this side of the pond is that we have far less options for sourcing parts for pickups that means that I'm probably going to have to make the base plates and the rest of the spacers as well. :(

Quick and dirty is OK but something is not right at this end. On the bridge pickup with a pole spacing of 0.4354" I get an X axis (actual string spacing E to e') measurement of 2.38"....???

Am I not getting it?

I made no attempt to make this print to scale. The truth is, there's no predicting how an unknown printer will scale a drawing. If you like, we can work through the exercise of getting an accurate template to print on your printer tomorrow. It may take several tries. I won't have time this afternoon but I will scale it to be accurate on my printer and send it to you so it should be pretty close when we start.

I made no attempt to make this print to scale. The truth is, there's no predicting how an unknown printer will scale a drawing. If you like, we can work through the exercise of getting an accurate template to print on your printer tomorrow. It may take several tries. I won't have time this afternoon but I will scale it to be accurate on my printer and send it to you so it should be pretty close when we start.
I didn't scale off a print, I took the measurement direct from PDF which will give a numerically correct reading. However 54.5mm e' to E will give us what we want with some where near the angle you have shown..

I have an hour spare in the morning waiting for some work to come in. I'll waste it mocking up a few p90 bobbins and send you the sizes. One of the problems this side of the pond is that we have far less options for sourcing parts for pickups that means that I'm probably going to have to make the base plates and the rest of the spacers as well. :(
I'd given that thought before I suggested rounding off a P-90 bobbin. I get most of my pieces from Mojo, and Guitar Jones. I know they both ship internationally, but of course I have no personal experience.

I liked the pointy bit. It balanced the lower pointy bit.
I was going to suggest using the upper bout as the shape for the headstock but I'm about 10 pages too late for that aren't I.
How often are instruments designed by committee? Imagine doing this by fax & post!
Champion stuff thus far chaps. Good dig!

I'd given that thought before I suggested rounding off a P-90 bobbin. I get most of my pieces from Mojo, and Guitar Jones. I know they both ship internationally, but of course I have no personal experience.

I ship quite a bit from overseas as we don't have the wide availability that you have for a lot of stuff. I have to. The real PITA is that I have to wait longer, pay excessive shipping charges and then they tax me 20% when it gets here before I can have it. If you do end up shipping a few bobbin covers over I was going to ask you label them as samples as they don't get taxed.

I liked the pointy bit. It balanced the lower pointy bit.
I was going to suggest using the upper bout as the shape for the headstock but I'm about 10 pages too late for that aren't I.
How often are instruments designed by committee? Imagine doing this by fax & post!
Champion stuff thus far chaps. Good dig!

Go round up some more votes for the pointy bit. I haven't cut it off yet...;)

To save any further confusion or possible errors on my part. I'm going to mock up a bobbin top and use a real world guitar with 52mm spacing to mark off the final spacings. I can't get it wrong then. Hopefully..:o

Quick and dirty is OK but something is not right at this end. On the bridge pickup with a pole spacing of 0.4354" I get an X axis (actual string spacing E to e') measurement of 2.38"....???

Am I not getting it?

I found my mistake. I had used the wrong set of marker lines when setting the E to e' distance, but now I'm coming up with 52.63mm. I suspect that it's me that's not getting it.

Back