How tube amps work

the electricity comes in and excites the plate or the anode or something like that

i took physics but we dint study tewbs

my science speciality is physics

Yes, not a bad effort IMHO. Always tricky to know how to pitch technicaccles!

Interesting however that in order to explain valve operation the guy had to refer to the high voltage electrode as the "anode" and then re name it as the "plate"?
I have never understood this Americanism. Anode WERE probably simple plates in the very first days of valves but they are patently not even remotely plate shaped in any valve I have ever seen! (but then the Colonials use 70.7volt speaker lines instead of 100V. Funny people. And "thermionic valve" does at least indicate some sort of control device. "Tooob" just makes me think of bog rolls!)

Shame he got "Class, Parallel and push-pull operation mixed up. The two valves do not each handle a "percentage" of the waveform. They are simply in series, a similar state to bridged sstate amps.

But hey! 9 out of 10 for a bloody good try.

Dave.

Yes, not a bad effort IMHO. Always tricky to know how to pitch technicaccles!

Interesting however that in order to explain valve operation the guy had to refer to the high voltage electrode as the "anode" and then re name it as the "plate"?
I have never understood this Americanism. Anode WERE probably simple plates in the very first days of valves but they are patently not even remotely plate shaped in any valve I have ever seen! (but then the Colonials use 70.7volt speaker lines instead of 100V. Funny people. And "thermionic valve" does at least indicate some sort of control device. "Tooob" just makes me think of bog rolls!)

Shame he got "Class, Parallel and push-pull operation mixed up. The two valves do not each handle a "percentage" of the waveform. They are simply in series, a similar state to bridged sstate amps.

But hey! 9 out of 10 for a bloody good try.

Dave.

Dude, it's an article about TUBE amps for the layman. Relax. Fucking limeys.

Tubes send the right juice to the speakers to make the speakers kick ass.

Old school technology that hasn't been improved upon

Back