How to sound old-school and yet good?

one more

One more thing you stupid musically illiterate ****

Do you think that you know about music just because you said "I IV V"?

Basically you implying that great songs must be complex in order to be great.
You MUST be implying that because i dont know what else you could mean.

Music does not progress fucker. Its not like science or technology. Music and all arts stay unchanged and will for a very very long time. Only the cultural aspect of music seemingly progresses. Like how teenagers THINK that "their" music means more. If you think that modern music is truer to the human soul than music written a thousand years ago you are a dumbfuck. And i doubt you could ever write a good song yourself because anyone who cant grasp that concept cant be a very empathetic person and therefore cant write good tunes.

So just keep pretending that modern bands are worth a shit. Keep hanging out with your dumbass friends and spinning those stupid songs over and over to the tune of your little lives and make believe that all your hopes and dreams are coming true just around the corner, in "the future". Because everyone knows that things never go out of style and nothing ever seems great one year then is a tragic embarrassment the next year.

Do you know what most modern music is? Its one of those paintings that is just a bunch of smeared paints. "POST MODERNISM". People call it "art" but really its just someones expression. And it will only mean something to those who WANT it to mean something. Any moron can throw postmodern art together. A baby even. But i think its funny psychologically that the people who always seem to dig postmodern garbage are the ones who stand to benefit from that particular image or lifestyle. OF COURSE you dig the arcade fire. Youre the EXACT age group that is into that shit. I bet you even dress and look like all the other dudes your age. Is any of this starting to make sense to you? So get over yourself and open your eyes to more than just the tiny world surrounding your 25 year old cliched lifestyle and taste. Say one thing or do one thing untypical of your age, race, and sex and ill be impressed. But i doubt you could.

even more

Look dont get me wrong, people should be free to be into whatever they want, but when you say Ray Davies isnt an artist and he just stood there playing "I IV V" over and over you are really making a fool out of yourself to a degree that is unforgivable. You must really not have heard much music or studied much. Its practically solid proof that you havent.

Whoah, time to cool down.

I have always believed that a song does not have to be revolutionary to be good. There are plenty of good songs with some sort of I IV V progression. But there are also many more good songs that are more complex. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never looked at the complexity of a song to decide if it was good or not. There are good and bad songs in every genre, but there is no genre that is "better" than another. Bach wrote some bad songs, too.

Does it matter if someone prefers one artist over another? Music is all about taste and opinion, even if it's not your own opinion (like listening to indie because it's "cool"). I say if you enjoy it, then why the hell not listen to it?

Allow me to quote:
easlern said:
Ray Davies? In my very humble (and maybe unshared!) opinion, he was a rockstar, not an artist.

This is clearly an opinion. And, he realizes he might be the only one who thinks this. I see no problem, and no need for flaming.

Now, back on topic...

I wasn't around in the 60s, so I can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've gathered, it's about the room that you're in, playing it (almost) all live, and tape compression. I wish I could emphasize, but that's about all I know.

music

Music is about opinion and taste huh? Well whens the last time an "opinion" wrote a harmony part? Does "taste" know how to write a bridge in a tune?

I wish not every long haired butthole with a guitar thought he was a musician. I really do. Cause the shit is getting lame. Cant all you fuckers do something else to get the girls to like you? Like maybe skateboard or drive a harley? Cause when you go around town calling yourself a musician it kinda takes the specialness out of it for the rest of us who are real musicians.

Its kinda like when something new and genius comes out in the underground, but then mtv gets ahold of it and pretty soon even 11 year old kids are buying the fashions at walmart.

YOU FUCKERS ARE DOING THAT TO US WHO HAVE DEDICATED OUR LIVES.

But it cant be YOU right? Of course it cant be you. Because you own cds by bands that have made a success out of themselves. Girls like them. They have a "video". They sell records. And you bought the cd and have the shirt so that means that youre practically in the band. Their success is practically your success. You just kinda inherited it because you agree with their girl getting, money making way of life. It appeals to you for some unknown reason. Your "opinion and taste" prefers the idea of money and chicks to poverty and the hand. So i guess i should just listen to whatever you say as truth.

if the first zeppelin records came out today you have to wonder if it would be tagged lo-fi in the press. same with exile...alot of the beatles records...faces...all my favorites.

modern recording can be cool but man the world just has a one track mind. in the 80's it had to sound like bonjovi to be hi fi... in the 90's it had to sound like 'nevermind.' to be hi fi. nowdays it has to sound like creed. just tatseless stuff.

i dunno. give me what the majority of the population considers lo-fi anyday. a) it's usually better music, b) i'd rather hear a song underproduced than annhilated by the dipshit behind the board/mouse

Mike

Anyone heard that new record by Amy Winehouse? i think its called rehab. Sounds very very motown, worth a listen.

Jillchaw said:
Gimmicks are not to be avoided. Only when there is no substance to match the gimmick.

I stand by what i said about modern bands. There are rarely any worth listening to especially since there are so many great old bands to dig up. There is more musical genius in one 60s era ray davies song than in an entire box of modern cds. If i only have a few hours a day to hear music, i dont want to spend it on shit that is watered down. There is a HUGE difference at the compositional level between modern bands and older music. I cant tell people what to like and i cant say what is "real" music and what is popular music, but i do know composition and modern music RARELY has anything very impressive. And the ones who do have a sound that i dont really like. Take Coldplay for example. Great songwriter but the overall music itself is dismall and repetitive. Its like music for futuristic yuppies. Its car commercial music. But the guy knows how to write songs.

Hey, asswipe. I've got some names for you to look up.
Mike Patton (or Fantomas)
SikTh
Fidel
Chris Vrenna
Emilie Autumn
Dresden Dolls

Tell me the composition sucks and is watered down. Go on.

Jillchaw said:
Whoever that guy is that said Ray Davies was just a rock star and that the arcade fire is better than the kinks is the most fucking retarded piece of shit ever born.

If you are reading this mother fucker than listen good and hard because i am going to teach you a lesson about going around thinking you know shit when really you dont know a fucking thing.

Ray Davies struggled hard to fit out of the scene for years and years during the later 60s. If you think "You really got me" and "all day and all of the night" when you hear the name Ray Davies than you are not even clued in to the history of music and your opinion of music means absolutely shit. Seriously dude. If you think that all this lame indie garbage that you and your faggot friends listen to beats "Village Green" or "Face to Face" era Kinks you are not even a musician. Because anyone who knows how songs work truly would know what Ray Davies accomplished. Its all right there in the music itself.

You want to know what all this indie music is? All this modern music? Its just you and your friends thinking that your lives mean so much and that your generation has figured out something that previous generations had no clue about, but your wrong. Anyone who knows psychology will know that studies have proven young males amplify the significance of "their" music and use it to construct their identity. So if you and your buddies think youre breaking some new ground by writing shit progressions with shit arrangements and calling it "indie" then go on ahead. But those who know art and songwriting as art form will never be so easily fooled into believing the hype that culture brings to music.

the things you have said about modern music are exactly whats wrong with people these days. Everyone is so ready to just believe lies and go with whatever comes down the pipe. Do you think it is rebellious to listen to "indie" as opposed to britney spears? Its all the same crap. There is no credibility in "indie". Indie is the new "grunge" thats all. And it will come and go just like everything else.

You should really be ashamed of yourself being 25 fucking years old and still treating music like its a high school popularity contest.

"The Arcade Fire".... grow the fuck up dude, seriously

Grow the fuck up, dude, seriously. Get a life. And listen to more than what's on the radio, asswipe. Indie as a genre generally isn't appealing, but INDEPENDENT music, to me, is. A lot of the stuff is no good, just like a lot of the complete shit recorded in the 60s, 70s, 80s, whatever. But look beyond what you see on the front page of MySpace for a decent representation of modern music.

Jillchaw said:
One more thing you stupid musically illiterate ****

Do you think that you know about music just because you said "I IV V"?

Basically you implying that great songs must be complex in order to be great.
You MUST be implying that because i dont know what else you could mean.

Music does not progress fucker. Its not like science or technology. Music and all arts stay unchanged and will for a very very long time. Only the cultural aspect of music seemingly progresses. Like how teenagers THINK that "their" music means more. If you think that modern music is truer to the human soul than music written a thousand years ago you are a dumbfuck. And i doubt you could ever write a good song yourself because anyone who cant grasp that concept cant be a very empathetic person and therefore cant write good tunes.

So just keep pretending that modern bands are worth a shit. Keep hanging out with your dumbass friends and spinning those stupid songs over and over to the tune of your little lives and make believe that all your hopes and dreams are coming true just around the corner, in "the future". Because everyone knows that things never go out of style and nothing ever seems great one year then is a tragic embarrassment the next year.

Do you know what most modern music is? Its one of those paintings that is just a bunch of smeared paints. "POST MODERNISM". People call it "art" but really its just someones expression. And it will only mean something to those who WANT it to mean something. Any moron can throw postmodern art together. A baby even. But i think its funny psychologically that the people who always seem to dig postmodern garbage are the ones who stand to benefit from that particular image or lifestyle. OF COURSE you dig the arcade fire. Youre the EXACT age group that is into that shit. I bet you even dress and look like all the other dudes your age. Is any of this starting to make sense to you? So get over yourself and open your eyes to more than just the tiny world surrounding your 25 year old cliched lifestyle and taste. Say one thing or do one thing untypical of your age, race, and sex and ill be impressed. But i doubt you could.

...I didn't know ancient fags like yourself could get so worked up. Guess it makes your boyfriend happy. Great songs don't have to be complex, and that wasn't the point of that post. And postmodernism doesn't suck, for the record. It's all in your perspective. Oh, and music and art do change, you just don't realize it. Not always for the better, but they do change. Newer music is more relevant to the current time than 50-year-old tunes. People these days (including you, I'm sure) wouldn't even understand thousand-year-old music.

Jillchaw said:
I am 26 years old

Oh, so you're not ancient, just a fag.

Jillchaw said:
Look dont get me wrong, people should be free to be into whatever they want, but when you say Ray Davies isnt an artist and he just stood there playing "I IV V" over and over you are really making a fool out of yourself to a degree that is unforgivable. You must really not have heard much music or studied much. Its practically solid proof that you havent.

...that's not what was said. Read before you post, it'll save you a lot of embarrassment.

Jillchaw said:
Music is about opinion and taste huh? Well whens the last time an "opinion" wrote a harmony part? Does "taste" know how to write a bridge in a tune?

I wish not every long haired butthole with a guitar thought he was a musician. I really do. Cause the shit is getting lame. Cant all you fuckers do something else to get the girls to like you? Like maybe skateboard or drive a harley? Cause when you go around town calling yourself a musician it kinda takes the specialness out of it for the rest of us who are real musicians.

Its kinda like when something new and genius comes out in the underground, but then mtv gets ahold of it and pretty soon even 11 year old kids are buying the fashions at walmart.

But it cant be YOU right? Of course it cant be you. Because you own cds by bands that have made a success out of themselves. Girls like them. They have a "video". They sell records. And you bought the cd and have the shirt so that means that youre practically in the band. Their success is practically your success. You just kinda inherited it because you agree with their girl getting, money making way of life. It appeals to you for some unknown reason. Your "opinion and taste" prefers the idea of money and chicks to poverty and the hand. So i guess i should just listen to whatever you say as truth.

Opinion in harmony: all harmonies don't have to be the third or fifth. That's an opinion. I might like sixth harmonies in one phrase, that's my opinion though. Taste in bridges: I don't like them much anyway. They get in the way of guitar solos.

You're not a real musician. Real musicians have brains. You're twenty-six, give yourself some time, maybe you'll get one eventually. You're a complete dick.

One last thing before I get off here for now. Take your prozac, it helps. Lorazapem too, if you can get it. Seriously, man, you need some. Anyone as obviously emotionally fucked up as you are as young as you are needs help. I just got myself into therapy; maybe you should consider the same. Oh, and try buying a CD sometime. They're kinda smaller than what you're used to, like normal cocks compared to the ones you like to suck, but that's okay, you'll get used to it. There's been some really great stuff recorded in the past few years that's relatively unheard of. Just because it's new doesn't mean it sucks. Check out Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains. Something new. Anything new that's never been on the radio. Try it.

-Zac

OH! One more thing!

When you spout off like that, with bad grammar and spelling and an overuse of swearing (I do it too, I know), it doesn't make you sound smart. Try being polite and logical for once.

Jillchaw said:

I don't even know where to begin to describe how wrong you are about me. So I won't.

there is no proving anything to you

Id rather be dead than even consider someones opinion who is only 17 years old. Honestly.

The "Dresden Dolls" are complete and total crap. Ive listened to them. Its annoyingly post modern sounding and has absolutely no true musical genius. Its performance art only. Thats not saying you cant like them, but you like them because you want to like them. There is no musical genius in their tunes. There are alot of shift modulations and the metric concordance is too predictable at times and amateurish at others. Sorry but if its in the music than i can hear it. Argument over.

Post modernism blows because anyone can make it. Its random. And the idea of post modernism sounds great, but i truly feel that people who make post modern music are just untalented and find it easier to just pull chords out of a hat and have a gimmick that sells the bad music. And dont asy "Mike Patton" because those fuckers are steeped in music theory and they absolutely are not post modern in any way. Revolutionary in a few small ways, but ultimately they just rebake the same cakes over and over. Which is no crime, but lets not call a rebaked cake a fresh one.

Also, for the last time, music does not progress. If any of you reading this think music progresses the way science or technology does, you must believe in the easter bunny. And this is why. The human brain doesnt evolve. Its the same as it was in the early days of homo sapiens. Its wired the same now as it as then. And no matter what generation you are from or what race or sex a tritone sounds dissonant and a major chord sounds at rest.

Who has the balls to deny this?

Opinions and taste stem from things that arent musical at all. They are cultural. Young males tend to prefer current and somewhat rebellious music. Its a fact. Always has been always will be. Which is funny because in rebelling they are actually conforming. And thats what this is all about. I cant stand seeing some dumb fuck insult a genius like ray davies just because he THINKS he knows what music is about.

And for those of you who said what about Mike Patten. Those guys in his bands are all music school junkies and know all there is to know about theory. They make the theory work FOR THEM. Thats the genius to strive for. Just making up anything and dressing it up as "post modern" or "indie" or whatever you want is NOT the same as using your brain to make the rules work FOR YOU.

But go ahead, base your art on a haircut and a trend. See what that leads to.

Jillchaw said:
Id rather be dead than even consider someones opinion who is only 17 years old. Honestly.

The "Dresden Dolls" are complete and total crap. Ive listened to them. Its annoyingly post modern sounding and has absolutely no true musical genius. Its performance art only. Thats not saying you cant like them, but you like them because you want to like them. There is no musical genius in their tunes. There are alot of shift modulations and the metric concordance is too predictable at times and amateurish at others. Sorry but if its in the music than i can hear it. Argument over.

Post modernism blows because anyone can make it. Its random. And the idea of post modernism sounds great, but i truly feel that people who make post modern music are just untalented and find it easier to just pull chords out of a hat and have a gimmick that sells the bad music. And dont asy "Mike Patton" because those fuckers are steeped in music theory and they absolutely are not post modern in any way. Revolutionary in a few small ways, but ultimately they just rebake the same cakes over and over. Which is no crime, but lets not call a rebaked cake a fresh one.

Also, for the last time, music does not progress. If any of you reading this think music progresses the way science or technology does, you must believe in the easter bunny. And this is why. The human brain doesnt evolve. Its the same as it was in the early days of homo sapiens. Its wired the same now as it as then. And no matter what generation you are from or what race or sex a tritone sounds dissonant and a major chord sounds at rest.

Who has the balls to deny this?

Opinions and taste stem from things that arent musical at all. They are cultural. Young males tend to prefer current and somewhat rebellious music. Its a fact. Always has been always will be. Which is funny because in rebelling they are actually conforming. And thats what this is all about. I cant stand seeing some dumb fuck insult a genius like ray davies just because he THINKS he knows what music is about.

And for those of you who said what about Mike Patten. Those guys in his bands are all music school junkies and know all there is to know about theory. They make the theory work FOR THEM. Thats the genius to strive for. Just making up anything and dressing it up as "post modern" or "indie" or whatever you want is NOT the same as using your brain to make the rules work FOR YOU.

But go ahead, base your art on a haircut and a trend. See what that leads to.

You're only 26. Get over yourself.
Yes, the Dresden Dolls have a strong vein of perfomance art. But they're still great musicians and songwriters.
Not anyone can make postmodern art or music. It's not random. I'm afraid you simply don't understand. I'm not trying to relate Mike Patton (who is a PERSON, not a band) to postmodern music, I'm just showing that contemporary music can be good. I never said Mike Patton was fresh, though his work with Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas, and a plethora of other groups is unarguably inspiring and revitalizing the music scene.
Music does progress. The human brain might not, but the way music is made changes, so music changes. Unless you're saying the Sumerians could program with a sampler and shred on guitar.
No one here is basing their art on emo, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop assuming everyone younger than 50 excepting yourself is a complete dumbass.

Last edited:
oh yeah and

That guy who said that bridges in songs suck because they get in the way of guitar solos, youre such a fucking idiot i cant even stand it.

The function of a bridge or middle 8 in a song is crucial to its success. Some songs dont have them but the ones that do (done correctly) are alot more appealing to the listener than just some crappy guitar solo.

Fuck guitar solos and guitar in general. If youre still doing everything with a guitar oriented mind youre more fucked than you know. Youve lost the race before it has begun if you conceptualize music through guitar.

The GUITAR is like a cool friend that stays too long and now you just kinda want him to leave. Its overused, overplayed, cliched, and just dead. But everyone just keeps on strumming and strumming and strumming like idiots.

Back