How to: run cable through a wall?

AndrewClaycomb

I'm setting up my control room, but I need to be able to run my snake through the wall along with some other cable for my headphone amp. There is only a single wall (2 layers of drywall) between my tracking room and the control room so this shouldn't be too complicated.

What do I need to get to make this look as clean and inconspicuous as possible? I don't want an open hole in the wall without some sort of fixture over it. Also what the best method of keeping sound from coming through the hole in the wall and bleeding into the control room and vice versa?

My Snake is only 8 channels without a return, so this doesn't need to be a huge hole. From what I understand, I don't want it near any other wire already running through the wall (otherwise I might run it through an existing cutout, such as coax jack or phone jack). Do they make some sort of pvc tube that just inserts directly through the wall with hoods on both sides preventing you from looking into one room from the other?

Last edited:
I've seen PVC conduits with finish collars on either side so they look nice--but a hood on either side wouldn't close with the cables running through. The way I've seen is the open PVC tube, with foam stuffed in whatever space isn't filled with cables.

What i did, which probably wasn't a good idea, was cut a hole, pass all the cables through, fill the gaps with expanding foam, then plaster over it. You probably don't want a direct hole straight through. Maybe in at the bottom of the wall coming out half way up. This will reduce the amount of sound that will pass directly through.

we did patchbays on both sides of my control room, took some time but looks very good i think and it works perfectly. you can buy them thrugh sweetwater and its made for such applications, just a thought! Good luck, oh by the way i think i may have learned that on here, this place is awesome, they look like wall plates with xlr connections...:)

You probably don't want a direct hole straight through. Maybe in at the bottom of the wall coming out half way up. This will reduce the amount of sound that will pass directly through.

This is what I ended up doing. And without any foam blocking up the holes yet, I'm getting an insignificant amount of bleed from the control room into the tracking room. I'm getting just as much bleed through the entire wall, and it's not much.

Back