How to build up a simple home recording studio- PLEASE HELP

sameedon

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have been making music with fruity loops for a long time now. But I have not been able to mix my voice to the tracks I make due to poor knowledge I have on the subject.
My plan is to build up a simple home studio with the minimum cost I can bear up.

After reading a lot of articles on the internet I have decided to buy a sound interface( like M-Audio fast track/ MBox 3 ) and a microphone(Audio Technica 2020), a pair of headphones(AKG K240 Studio Headphones and two suitable monitors( Like M-Audio AV 30 )

However, as I noticed, the Microphone,Audio Technica 2020 Microphone(which I thought of buying), is a USB powered one so it does connect with the M-Audio fast track sound interface. So I am doubtful about buying this package as there is no point in buying a sound interface that cannot plugged in to the microphone.

Can you all please suggest, what equipment I need to buy a simple home studio for a beginner?

I need Monitors, One Microphone, One headphone, One sound interface?

With your experience, can you please suggest some suitable cheap gear that would make a home studio? I do not need any Keyboards, as I do all the music with Fruity Loops. So for now I am ok with Fruity Loops capabilities.

Also, please let me know if fast track M-Audio is a good choice for a sound interface for a beginner? Its relatively cheaper than MBox. So I would like to purchase that.

All your advise and tips and guide are highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Don.

Buy what you can afford. Learn it inside out..then upgrade as you can, because here is the REAL deal. You could own a Million dollars worth of gear and the best acoustics in the world, but if you don't know how to utilize it correctly, it doesn't mean jack diddly squat. So get what you can, and start learning. Engineering is a lesson in progress and like anything else..the more you do it, the better you get. Just start reading the actual recording technique forums, micing forums and learn as much as you can about RECORDING. Once you start getting good results on the equipment you have, then you'll see where you need to upgrade.

One other thing though. For inexperienced recording enthusiasts, they don't immediately understand that ACOUSTICS play a big role in getting good results. Small rooms absolutely suck when it comes to recording OR mixing. The reason is...the room itself will effect what you hear, and if you can't hear the truth when recording, then it lies to you TWICE when you mix. Here's the deal. IF, you have to EQ while recording and then again while mixing, just because the room is effecting what you hear, then your recordings will NEVER translate to other systems and rooms. Usually, it is Low frequencies that alter your perception. That is why 90 percent of everything you read on this forum is dedicated to controlling/absorbing Low Frequency's.
In that light, start reading about how to treat your space. I guarantee...once you hear it in your own space, and how it affects your judgements, you'll be amazed. Bottom line...it's not all about gear..it's about treating your space, and using part of your budget to get there. Once you do...THEN..the fun begins!

Hope this helps.

Hi Chronicle,

I can certainly understand your point in this matter. Anyhow, I do not really have any idea about the gear even. Therefore, Can you please suggest a few gear to purchase to have a start as a beginner?
I think I might want to buy a sound interface to record from a microphone?
Also a good headphones and a good pair of monitors?

What are the cheapest options available?
I can buy sound interface( like M-Audio fast track/ MBox 3 ) and a microphone(Audio Technica 2020), a pair of headphones(AKG K240 Studio Headphones and two suitable monitors( M-Audio AV 30 )
What should I buy for a microphone that goes to the sound interface?

Actually my problem is finding some gear. I can understand the gear does not matter but the experience I need in the process of recording. But I have to start with something right? That is the problem. I need some gear but I do not know what to buy?

Is it a good idea to buy M-Audio fast track? is it better than MBox?

Can you please suggest some cheap gear which might be helpful for a beginner who start to experiment recording to become a good musician?

Your help is HIGHLY appreciated.

Thank you again mate:)

Hi Chronicle,

I can certainly understand your point in this matter. Anyhow, I do not really have any idea about the gear even. Therefore, Can you please suggest a few gear to purchase to have a start as a beginner?
I think I might want to buy a sound interface to record from a microphone?
Also a good headphones and a good pair of monitors?

What are the cheapest options available?
I can buy sound interface( like M-Audio fast track/ MBox 3 ) and a microphone(Audio Technica 2020), a pair of headphones(AKG K240 Studio Headphones and two suitable monitors( M-Audio AV 30 )
What should I buy for a microphone that goes to the sound interface?

Actually my problem is finding some gear. I can understand the gear does not matter but the experience I need in the process of recording. But I have to start with something right? That is the problem. I need some gear but I do not know what to buy?

Is it a good idea to buy M-Audio fast track? is it better than MBox?

Can you please suggest some cheap gear which might be helpful for a beginner who start to experiment recording to become a good musician?

Your help is HIGHLY appreciated.

Thank you again mate

Just to jump in.

What you "need" is completely dependent on what you're trying to do. Are you trying to multitrack and record multiple things at one time? (drums for example). Or are you just trying to record some simple guitar licks or an acoustic guitar?

We need more info on what you're trying to do and what you're trying to record in order to give you some proper suggestions on what you need to get started.

Hi Capt Hair,

Many thanks for your response.

Here is what I am doing right now and what I am trying to do.

1. I make music tracks, hip hop and trance type of music with Fruity Loops 10.

2. I have written lyrics to my songs but I do not know how to record my voice to those songs, When I use the default recorders in built, it adds so much noise and delay as well. So I think a good sound interface would be way to go.

3. So simply my requirement is to record my voice to the songs I make. I can export the bass, drums, synth, guitar, organ tracks I make to a mixing software like cubase or cool edit. Then I can add my voice track using a simple sound interface and a microphone.

4. So I believe a good sound interface and a good microphone which I can afford would do the job?

5. I looked at so many forums on sound interfaces and found some equipment like saffire 6, MBox, and fast track? which one would do my job well?

6, I think I might need a good set of monitors as well at some point?(do you think M-Audio AV 30 is good?) and for a headphone AKG K240 Studio Headphones?

7. I am completely new to recording. But I make really good music with Fruity Loops. So if I can find the way and suitable gear to do some great voice recording for my tracks I think that will be really nice as my tracks will be complete.

If you can suggest an affordable set of gear which I can purchase to give this a start I would be really grateful to you. I have been reading many articles on the net but still I do not know what to purchase.

When you suggest any gear please do consider about the quality of the gear as well. Because I believe it would be great to purchase a bit of quality equipment too right at the start if I can affordable. Since you have experience I think you may know how you had to change gear over time?

So if you can suggest a few options of gear it would be great.

For example;

You can suggest, fast track with M 50 headphones and some microphone for an affordable set\
and
saffire 6 with AKG K240 Studio Headphones and some high quality microphones for a bit of high quality set... etc

Likewise if you can give me a few options with your own experience that would save a lot of time for me and to have a clear picture about the gear.

Your advise and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Many thanks for your response again. That means a lot to me at this stage.

Thank you.

Futher, to above post,

I also wish to add a keyboard to my home studio later on. So a sound interface I should buy has to have some capability to do that as well. That's all. I am not going to do a multi track recording as I make all the music with Fruity Loops.
I just need a good gear to record my voice and to mix it with software and master it with other software. So basically it would a powerful yet very simple unit.

Hope you can kindly help me.

Thank you again friend:)

have a nice day!

ummm, well, for the Terminally Don't Get It crowd, I have a BIG free clue for ya. Recording "gear" will NOT make you a "good" musician. For that..it takes what's known as an "instrument" and a healthy daily dose of that antiquidated ethos called "practice". A good handle on the "60 chord system" most certainly helps as well, although some audiences prefer "music" that isn't. For that, simply mimic "mary had a little lamb", and add a beat. You'll be an instant hit with the melody challenged crowd.

As for cheap recording gear...here's my suggestion.

P4 Computer...preferably with at least one USB port and a CD recorder.
Soundblaster audio card
anything with a USB cord..preferably a mic.
a USB "mixer", with at least two hiZ inputs(mic and instrument) preferably with a line input/output as well
Thrift store versions of Rock Star guitars, preferably with the software included.(just saw 4 of them for $5 or less)
For the more talented, adventurous geeky types, a few cheap Casio midi keyboards are a must have.
For those who prefer string sounds, and know a few songs with 3 chords or less, a REAL guitar might come in handy.
A good assortment of free beat and sequencing software, or even the keyboard drum pads.
Some kind of free digital audio recording software..Reaper comes to mind, but there are tons of others.
ipods or Headphones and a Cambridge speaker setup.
For adding analog "realness", thrift store cassette decks are really in abundance these days. Just bought 3 for $10
A younger sibling or two as critique and or accessory sound effect/percussion producers.
Lots of free time and spirit

Remember, music is art(speaking loosely here), so paint what you will, and let the pieces fall where they may. Most important though..is fun.

With tongue in cheek...have tons of it. It might be the only reward you get.:)

I agree with buy whatever you can afford, learn it inside out and upgrade when you can. At the moment im learning to record with, a Boss br-600. Its good enough for me, sure i have a few add ons like electric drums, a POD 2.O for decent guitar tones, and a condenser mic for vocals etc, but im still learning about panning, doubling track eq etc.

Its not what you record on, but how well you know your stuff and apply it to your equipment.

Thank you chronicle for trolling and helping this guy with absolutely nothing..

Sameedon here are some of my tips..

Did you know you can record vocals into fl10? .... I use fl and love the recording capabilities it has to offer.... Since I was in a similar position as you some time ago I am happy to give you some suggestions. People on this forum like to give no answers and philosophical suggestions because a. They want you to make the right choice b. they don't want you to make the wrong choice c. There is no right answer..

We can only give you insight into the world you are emerging yourself in....

Aside let's go to basics...

A. Necessities
1. Interface..may I suggest the Safire 6 USB?
2. 2 balanced xlr cables
3. Studio headphone monitors
4. Vocal mic ( preferably LDC )
a. Do your research with this one... Every mic is different and works well with different applications. So look around on the mic forum and find out what mic will suit you best.
5. Studio monitors
a. Since you are doing hip hop and trance I suggest looking for monitors that suit lower freqs so you can get a more true sound.
6. Trs microphone cables..
7. Your pc and daw

With all this You will have a start.. It's all a learning process and your recordings will not match the big dogs but from there on make do with what you have and study. Study.. Study!!!!

Hope I helped...

Good luck

Thank you chronicle for trolling and helping this guy with absolutely nothing..

ummmm...Thank you Mr. Plum Bob of Terminal Don't Get it for your interpretation of thread authors definitive criteria.. ie:

A.
what equipment I need to buy a simple home studio for a beginner?

ie...aka...KISS=Keep It Simple STUPID*

1. Interface..may I suggest the Safire 6 USB?
=Soundblaster audio card..ie ..see*

2. 2 balanced xlr cables
=anything with a USB cord..preferably a mic... ie ..see

3. Studio headphone monitors
=Headphones and a Cambridge speaker setup.... ie ..see *

4. Vocal mic ( preferably LDC )a. Do your research with this one... Every mic is different and works well with different applications. So look around on the mic forum and find out what mic will suit you best.
=preferably a mic. with ....a caveat=
what equipment I need to buy a simple home studio for a beginner?
... ie ..see

5. Studio monitors
= Cambridge speaker setup. ... ie ..see

a. Since you are doing hip hop and trance I suggest looking for monitors that suit lower freqs so you can get a more true sound.
=( note modification) ..Cambridge speaker setup. ... ie ..see
*add Sub Woofer

6. Trs microphone cables..
=anything with a USB cord.... ie ..see

7. Your pc
=P4 Computer...preferably with at least one USB port and a CD recorder.... ie ..see *

=Some kind of free digital audio recording software..Reaper comes to mind, but there are tons of others. ie ..see *

Thank you again for adding exactly ZERO to my post,...TERMINALLY DON'T GET IT notwithstanding, was there some part of ..
My plan is to build up a simple home studio with the minimum cost I can bear up.
that your single neuron didn't quite grasp? Given your lack of understanding the galactic SIMPLE/MINIMUM ethos, I now understand why you didn't grasp something a little more complex...ie..my FIRST POST...
Buy what you can afford. Learn it inside out..then upgrade as you can, because here is the REAL deal. You could own a Million dollars worth of gear and the best acoustics in the world, but if you don't know how to utilize it correctly, it doesn't mean jack diddly squat. So get what you can, and start learning. Engineering is a lesson in progress and like anything else..the more you do it, the better you get. Just start reading the actual recording technique forums, micing forums and learn as much as you can about RECORDING. Once you start getting good results on the equipment you have, then you'll see where you need to upgrade.
=

MORE TRUE SOUND=interpretation of the purpose of acoustics at the Proteus Animalcule level.

Thank you kevvwho for trolling and helping this guy miss the entire point of this.....

One other thing though. For inexperienced recording enthusiasts, they don't immediately understand that ACOUSTICS play a big role in getting good results. Small rooms absolutely suck when it comes to recording OR mixing. The reason is...the room itself will effect what you hear, and if you can't hear the truth when recording, then it lies to you TWICE when you mix. Here's the deal. IF, you have to EQ while recording and then again while mixing, just because the room is effecting what you hear, then your recordings will NEVER translate to other systems and rooms. Usually, it is Low frequencies that alter your perception. That is why 90 percent of everything you read on this forum is dedicated to controlling/absorbing Low Frequency's.
In that light, start reading about how to treat your space. I guarantee...once you hear it in your own space, and how it affects your judgements, you'll be amazed. Bottom line...it's not all about gear..it's about treating your space, and using part of your budget to get there. Once you do...THEN..the fun begins!

Hope this helps.

Aside let's go to basics...
note to self..file under

"...more insights from the galactic dumb"

observations..
MORE TRUE SOUND

A. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHA...!!!!

B. I can't believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant and half baked comments or any of the rest of your drivel.

Many thanks kevvwho,

Yeah your post help me a bit on the subject. Also I agree with you that I need to do some studying and do research on studio engineering beforehand I start to do the recording.

Many thanks.

Thanks for your wishes as well.

Cheers :)

STUPID
... stupid you are... rock-hard stupid... Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid way beyond the stupid we know..... stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself.... Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. .

:laughings:

G'mornin ChronicleDude :D

As for the AT2020, there are two versions: one with USB interface, and one with XLR interface. Choose whichever applies in your situation.

I have the XLR version. For the price it sounds pretty good.

Np Sameedon..

Lol @chronicle spending more than likely thirty minutes on something I honestly didn't read.

Stop wasting your time Brotha was just giving you shit

Hi All, I am new to this forum. I have been making music with fruity loops for a long time now. But I have not been able to mix my voice to the tracks I make due to poor knowledge I have on the subject.

After reading a lot of articles on the internet I have decided to buy a sound interface( like M-Audio fast track/ MBox 3 ) and a microphone(Audio Technica 2020), a pair of headphones(AKG K240 Studio Headphones and two suitable monitors( Like M-Audio AV 30 )

However, as I noticed, the Microphone,Audio Technica 2020 Microphone(which I thought of buying), is a USB powered one so it does connect with the M-Audio fast track sound interface. So I am doubtful about buying this package as there is no point in buying a sound interface that cannot plugged in to the microphone.

Can you all please suggest, what equipment I need to buy a simple home studio for a beginner?

With your experience, can you please suggest some suitable cheap gear that would make a home studio? I do not need any Keyboards, as I do all the music with Fruity Loops. So for now I am ok with Fruity Loops capabilities.

Also, please let me know if fast track M-Audio is a good choice for a sound interface for a beginner? Its relatively cheaper than MBox. So I would like to purchase that.

All your advise and tips and guide are highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Don.

See my website for some Low-Cost DIY Ideas.

Back