How to access transport on Tascam 112RMKii.

Jzoha18

Hello, I am trying to clean the pinch rollers and degauss my heavily used Tascam 112Rmkii but I have rather large hands and can only manage to get at the heads with a long q-tip. Is there some way to get the door off or put it into a play mode without a tape to get at the capstan and rollers? The manual says nothing about this and I wonder if I have to disassemble it just to do this routine maintenance? Any tips would be appreciated

I have the 122 MKIII and the door comes off quite easily. Also, the entire cassette assembly is removable with just 4 screws after you open the case. I'm wondering if the 112 is similar? Best of luck, there are some awesome people here that likely know the answers.

Doors or what is called a Cassette Cover usually lift off but the 122 Mk III has a latch at top that you push on and extract it that way. The manual does usually show how to take a door off as I have seen them many times although I don't need to consult owners manuals after 45 years working on these except for that cockeyed 688 with a routing switcher in it. That is a complicated unit to operate. Push up at the bottom gently and it should come up and off. The warning is that these guides that contain the devices to mount the door are all gone and no one can 3d print new ones that I know of so now we are in repair mode only which takes much more time.
The 112 MKII makes use of a Gearc C types transport and that whole mechanism should be taken apart, cleaned of old grease which will eventually solidify and crack the gear C. I have encountered units already in that condition. The heads did not last that long on the 112 decks so I have new ones but they must be installed correctly. The 112R Mk II is like that of the 112 Mk II. Since the 112R MK II is in the same manual as the 122 Mk III tyhe door may be the same- look at center top for a plastic latch. Push down a little and it should release and come off forward. Access to parts often times with the door assembly is often not as good as you would want. I have taken the cassette holder off to get to reconditioning the Pinch Roller and doing the other transport de-greasing that is needed. The transport is out on a side board that sits on the deck above where it normally sits as there are still head wires connected. I have restored a number of these recently so if you have other questions let me know.

Back