How Tall Ceilings for Drum Recording?

braincoil

How tall does the Ceiling need to be in a room to record a drum kit with two Large Diaphragm Condensers as overheads?

I don't put my cymbals very high btw.

How far up should the condensers be?

Is it bad to put them TOO close to the ceiling (cardioid condensers)?

What would be the effect of 16 foot ceilings vs. 8 foot ceilings?

Unfortunately, I am limited to the latter.

You'll just have to experiment with your set up within your room till it sounds the best ..... We all have to go through this.

8 foot is fine.

I put my OH pair as close as 8"-12" from the ceiling, it's not a problem, though watch out for early reflections off the ceiling.
I have some acoustic tile on the ceiling above the mics to keep the high-end reflections mild, and it works fine.

If the whole ceiling is reflective...make sure you have a rug under the kit and well around it.

Indeed. I have 7' ceilings in my drum room and I get decent results. As stated, you'll have to experiment to find your room's sweet spots. It's really the only way to find what will work in the space you have.

For about a year I had to record in a room that was 9"'X 15' with 7' ceilings. It wasn't ideal, but I managed to get an OK drum sound. I did have a cloud right over the drums, which tamed the cymbals a lot.

If you have a room with a 16 foot ceiling available, they're WAY better than 8 foot ceilings.

However, if you only have an 8 foot ceiling, don't worry, they're fine.

8^)

I have used Auralex (just about the only place I ever would) above overheads in a 8' high room to help with comb filtering type reflections of the high end sizzle that cymbals produce, with a mic that close to ceiling.. Worked pretty good. Better now that I have filled the ceiling joists with rockwool and covered with cloth. The room sounds like it is much larger now. I would guess that 'ceiling clouds' would give a similar effect. Though my ceiling height is now effectively 9'. I myself like the overheads a good 2' from the cymbals, but that really doesn't help, as it is just what works for me in my space. Try what you have and make adjustments accordingly. Might be the shi*. :)

Oh man I love the sound of drums in a medium large room with tall ceiling toms just sound so HUGE!!

sorry this isn't helpful at all.

Back