How set vocal recording level?

You must have missed my other post..
Get some visualizations going too.. Look at the amount of noise happening in the track. On top and bottom of the range. The middle is the goods you keep. If the middle has good movement, cut everything above and below that has unorganized noise.

look at this chart..
Screenshot 2022-02-26 174350.jpg

It is not needed.

Last edited:
Um, no, the top and bottom aren't noise, that's signal. Notice in that illustration that the clipping parts of the signal are highlighted to point out that it has been distorted. The plugin you showed does what's illustrated in the middle with the hard clipping.

hey man, I think its supposed to go with my HPF LPF comment. No, lets use it for both ways. Cause its probably the same? One way is dynamically clipped and the other is amplitudally clipped.

Last edited:
. Notice in that illustration that the clipping parts of the signal are highlighted to point out that it has been distorted.
In the limiter video I linked it clearly states that there is no distortion from limiting.

The plugin you showed does what's illustrated in the middle with the hard clipping.
Yeah, when the thredshold knob is dimed. Don't crank it , but use soft clipping within the same limits...bottom picture in chart.

In the limiter video I linked it clearly states that there is no distortion from limiting.
Then the video is wrong or you misinterpreted it.
Yeah, when the thredshold knob is dimed. Don't crank it , but use soft clipping within the same limits...bottom picture in chart.
The plugin with the settings you showed will cause hard clipping in the plugin itself, and it will make it more likely to clip the converter.

I admit, after trying it in reaper with an O scope visualization as the following plugin, it DID cut off the tops square.

It does still sound good. I do not hear distortion unless you crank the knobs. Perhaps the tops aren't needed?

is it burger time?

So meaty..

Digest this

It doesnt distort. It doesnt only look at the peaks like normalizing..It seems to be the perfect way to set your vocal recording level.

OMG, that whole video has distorted audio. It's not drastic, but it's pretty noticeable to me. On top of that, he has no clue how Pro-L works. He's not actually limiting anything, he's just adding gain. Here's what it should look like when it's actually limiting the signal. The dips in the top line represent gain reduction, and each dip has a label showing how much gain reduction is being applied at the deepest part of the dip. Don't take advice from the guy in that video.

1645921091372.png

Also, he's doing it on a track that has already been recorded. Doing this during recording is a whole different thing.

I admit, after trying it in reaper with an O scope visualization as the following plugin, it DID cut off the tops square.

It does still sound good. I do not hear distortion unless you crank the knobs. Perhaps the tops aren't needed?
It's possible to clip somewhat without it sounding too bad, but since you can easily do that after you record, there's no good reason to bake it right into the track from the start. Best practice is to record a clean track and then add effects.

I noticed that..Hmmm.

He states it could limit. At like 3.15 he says it does it in a clean manor. No distortion.
Technically, limiting is distortion. Pro-L is a good limiter, but if you push it way too hard, it will start to sound bad. Not all distortion is bad, but there's no sense adding it irrevocably while tracking unless you really know what you're doing.

More likely we can toss a certain amount of transient* w/o it being very noticeable. That and that plug has some impressive comments as to it doing what it does quite well. (I looked before jumping into this thread ..re; that 'preventing clipping of our A/D thing :>)
Re that first line.. about getting away with' -I've 'clipped more than a few times over the years (saw the 'lights -too late to do anything about it, saw the leveled tops on the track.. but no apparent sonic damage. The content (brief vs very clean and sustained..) perhaps less forgiving.
Happy here'.. is not to come close :>)

Technically, limiting is distortion. Pro-L is a good limiter
In Nov. i did the Fabfilter seminar online. They demo the products in a Zoom chat. Prearranged tracks and you get a discount on the software they use. I got the Pro Q. Stuff is expensive.
unless you really know what you're doing.
Im just a enthusiast at home recording. Non professional. I get an hour or two on a weekend.

Well that was all fun...

Bottom line is that if you are recording at 24 bit or 32 float, there is really no benefit from entering the DAW from interface at a level that even nears -6dbfs IMO. The noise floor is so low, you can bring up the gain in software later. Using a compressor or limiter inserted on input track is really just asking for problems.

Pay attention to the gain lights on the interface first, and then the input level to DAW. Those seem to be the issue that the OP and many other have. So many are still used to, learned wrong, or stuck in the recording to actual tape theories, that they think they need to get as close to peaking as possible. This is just not the way it is in digital recording period.

Now in daw, when you are working with already recorded - transient prominent things like drums, sometimes pushing the gain up can work well with some plug ins. Not many though. Most plugins get funky when the levels hit them too hard. But that is not what this thread was about anyway so...

And there is a thing that I recall happening before I had proper monitoring/worthy Pc:

Early on I had issues with recording a track on top of a mix because I couldn't hear the new input track, so I would try to raise the input level so I could hear. That would result in clipping the input so it had poor results. It took a while to realize that I just needed to turn the recorded tracks down instead of inputting tracks up.

I don't even bother with direct monitoring anymore as my recording computer is powerful enough to record new tracks on a full mix with acceptable latency. Anyway, back off topic...sorry.

Ні, sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker. I have microphone Audio Tehnica At2020 and Sound card Focusrite Solo. I read in internet that recording level should bе avarage at -18 db, and peak at -10 db, and not should be lower than -24 db. So question is: Should I change gain in my sound card before recording different parts. I mean, first recording Verse(generally lowest part of vocal) and aim -18 db, and then drop the gain knob of sound card and record Chorus (generally louder part) and again aim -18 db? OR just set gain one time based on the chorus? Thanks for your attention, I appreciate it.
I think you should ignore most of this thread haha, the first and last couple of answers are pretty much spot on. Its really not as specific or scientific as wanting to average at -18 or any other level, as long as you dont risk clipping and youre not super quiet, youre good. Just set it one time based on the loudest part, you could do it twice, but definitely not necessary. Im usually peaking at around -6 to -15, everything in that range is fine, but Im not very dynamic in my singing - if I was, Id probably be on the safe side and turn it down more than -6

Back