How set vocal recording level?

If you target -6 to -8 peaks. That leaves quite a bit of room before hardware clipping would start.

In a vocal track I don't have +8 spikes above the peaks.
If you're reading those peaks on a meter that's downstream of a limiter plugin, you don't know if the hardware is clipping.

The plugin after, will not stop hardware clipping

The plugin limiter is setting a targeted level in the DAW.

I think it is reasonable to use a VST limiter in a non distorting fashion to achieve a target db on a live recorded vocal track in the DAW.

You don't know if its clipping. Why would you say that.

Whose hardware clips at -8 peaks? How is that happening?
What meter are you using to set the -6 to -8 level?

If you are using the meter in the daw that is after the limiter, you aren't reading the input level, you are reading the output of the limiter. If the limiter is set to peak at -6, no matter how high you set your interface input, that meter will never read above -6... so how do you know what level is hitting the converters?

Yes , your maths checks out. How is mine?

If you clip at +4 and turn it down -13 db afterward , you end up with -9 dbfs peaks..
Correct, you'll have a clipped signal with -9 dBFS peaks. See the pic I posted above. Peaking and clipping are different things.

Technically, you're not clipping at +4, you're clipping at 0.

The most amusing thing about all this is that the limiter you showed basically clips the signal regardless of whether the converter is clipping or not. Either way, you end up with a clipped signal.

The most amusing thing about all this is that the limiter you showed basically clips the signal regardless of whether the converter is clipping or not. Either way, you end up with a clipped signal.
Because I care about how authentic the track sounds. Obviouslty clipping is better when limited.

The object of setting the vocal recording level is to limit the amount of clipping.
Using that plugin with those settings actually causes clipping if the signal goes over the threshold. It's literally called a Limiter/Clipper. The flat tops of the waveform it produces are exactly the same as the flat tops of the waveform produced by hitting a converter too hard. And it's entirely possible to clip the converter then get more clipping with that plugin. You're not "limiting" the amount of clipping, you're practically guaranteeing that clipping occurs.

I have no problem with you doing that. If it works for you, fine. But I don't think it's good advice to be giving others.

Back