How Many People Are Using Cassettes Here?

Yes I won’t tolerate trolls. Pinky had a number of chances to turn things around.
Anyway Paul I dont want to get involved in politics here, not my issue.
But had a great little victory 😉🥰 I lost my power supply for an old XRI 300 MTC and I had no idea whether it was centre neg or pos. Put out an SOS thread and James advised me that it was pos so I used the relevant 9V power supply. The P/S provides 500mA and the XRI can draw 800 peak current but I knew it would run ok and it does. All functions fine and working.
Happy days Paul 🥰👍
This is a great forum 🥰👍

I always wondered why nobody ever made a multi-track recorder based around VHS cassettes. They would have been good for 16 tracks.
I did once see something similar, which used frequency multiplexing.

Hi clamsterdam. I tried to send you a PM but did not realize there was a word limit!

Briefly, I have a Sony TC-K116S which will not engage play. The head assemble starts to move forward but does not latch and drops back. FF and RW functions are fine.

My eyes and hands are no longer those of the service tech I was 40 years ago but do you think this is a fault I might tackle please?

Dave.

I always wondered why nobody ever made a multi-track recorder based around VHS cassettes. They would have been good for 16 tracks.
Akai tried something similar with their MG12xx and MG14xx range which used an abandoned video cassette format. The problem is that the music market is fairly small so manufacturers tend to adapt technology developed for other markets if they want to make something affordable. I would guess that Akai were already developing mechanisms for the video format before it was abandoned so they could take that work and use it for the audio recorders. In the same way, Alesis used a Panasonic video mechanism for all their ADAT machines and Pioneer used something similar to a computer DAT mechanism for all the budget DAT machines sold under the Tascam, Fostex and Otari brands.

There were certainly VHS based instrumentation recorders but no analogue audio recorders as far as I know.

Yes I won’t tolerate trolls. Pinky had a number of chances to turn things around.
Doesn't realize I can still read their posts, engage with the thread, etc. Now they just don't know I'm being the most horrible member of the forum (maybe entire planet!?) at the expense of their precious topic.

I think any rational person could have looked through my posting history [as well as 20 years on the forum?] to see I'm not a troll, and that my terse responses [after a couple serious/thorough ones] were in jest. What's funny is this person thinks they're justified in publicly shaming me. I haven't told anyone to not engage with me (ie - "shut up"). Poor guy is so emotionally fragile you'd think his head was made of magnetic tape pinched by a sludgy capstan.

I'm pretty sure these existed, I want to say one of my rare few times in the studio as a musician the studio was using exactly this format because I remember asking about the tape that looked identical to VHS being used/moved around between things. Maybe they had one of these unicorn Akai or Pioneer systems James just posted. I don't recall if this was a digital studio, but would have been early 2000s so possible.

For all the same reasons people like me scoff at cassette/tape use in general, digital studios moved as quickly away from tape storage as possible once drives came down enough in price. There's a reason technology gets abandoned. And it's usually for the good of the people using the technology [most often they are the ones moving to/from the technology].

Last edited:
Hello

Yes that Sony can be repaired. I’m pretty sure the model you are referring to is the TC-K611S, as I don’t recall them making a 116S. If it’s the 611S then I’m familiar. It runs a TCM-200 mechanism. Those have the automatic open/close door function. It’s a good 3 head deck, but can definitely be modified to sound better with an upgraded Capstan motor and recap of the audio chains.

Paul
Hi clamsterdam. I tried to send you a PM but did not realize there was a word limit!

Briefly, I have a Sony TC-K116S which will not engage play. The head assemble starts to move forward but does not latch and drops back. FF and RW functions are fine.

My eyes and hands are no longer those of the service tech I was 40 years ago but do you think this is a fault I might tackle please?

Dave.

DAT was a short lived format but had a lot of potential. I had a few DAT decks before and yes they do run like a VCR with the helical scan. I had a Sony DTC-1500ES and a DTC-690

DAT when working properly would blow away any cassette deck, unfortunately

I'm pretty sure these existed, I want to say one of my rare few times in the studio as a musician the studio was using exactly this format because I remember asking about the tape that looked identical to VHS being used/moved around between things. Maybe they had one of these unicorn Akai or Pioneer systems James just posted. I don't recall if this was a digital studio, but would have been early 2000s so possible.
Obviously the ADAT uses SVHS, I have 2 original Alesis. People tell me I am stupid and stuck in the past... just use DAW you sad old man! 🤣😉
But I still think they are great and love the format.. for all their faults and frustrations.
I think Ray makes a good point but it was all open reel until digital format, it all happened very fast between 78 to 82 and MIDI so I dont think the need or opportunity to use VHS for analogue recording arose.
Just my VHO

😉👍
I'm not 100% sure what I'm saying, but I believe the old ADAT recorder was exactly a multitrack on VHS tape
Yes ADAT was using SVHS, I have them. ADAT is digital format. I think the OP was referring to analogue 😉👍

Don’t worry, Pinky. I can see your posts. I have no issues with you. This isn’t a precious topic. Just contribute. And if you are going to be funny, then write something funny. Yes the cassette format is flawed. But trying to perfect it is my pursuit. I know it won’t be 100%. The oscilloscope tells all. But these errors are happening on the high end after 18 kHz with a shrill dB loss. We can’t hear 22 kHz +/- 3 dB which is what these decks are rated at.

;)

Hello

Yes that Sony can be repaired. I’m pretty sure the model you are referring to is the TC-K611S, as I don’t recall them making a 116S. If it’s the 611S then I’m familiar. It runs a TCM-200 mechanism. Those have the automatic open/close door function. It’s a good 3 head deck, but can definitely be modified to sound better with an upgraded Capstan motor and recap of the audio chains.

Paul
Paul, I have had this discussion with Boulder, it is all very gentlemanly and courteus but my point is that digital can never recreate analogue waveform by its mathematical calculus nature. No matter how high the digital resolution it can never recreate a perfect sine wave, we respectful agreed to disagree 😅😉😉👍

Don’t worry, Pinky. I can see your posts. I have no issues with you. This isn’t a precious topic. Just contribute. And if you are going to be funny, then write something funny. Yes the cassette format is flawed. But trying to perfect it is my pursuit. I know it won’t be 100%. The oscilloscope tells all. But these errors are happening on the high end after 18 kHz with a shrill dB loss. We can’t hear 22 kHz +/- 3 dB which is what these decks are rated at.

;)
Thats the ticket Paul 😉😍👍He might be a bit of a worky ticket sometimes agreed just got passionate beliefs. But I am sure he is an ok guy. I am sure he will appreciate your message 😍👍
Happy days😉👍

For all the same reasons people like me scoff at cassette/tape use in general, digital studios moved as quickly away from tape storage as possible once drives came down enough in price. There's a reason technology gets abandoned. And it's usually for the good of the people using the technology [most often they are the ones moving to/from the technology].
Clam has sent you a message of reconcilliation. This is a great forum and we all want to get on. Sort it out and bury the hatchet mate. Sort our opinions and differences 🤣🤣
Take care 😉👍👍👍
Smithers 👍👍

Paul, I have had this discussion with Boulder, it is all very gentlemanly and courteus but my point is that digital can never recreate analogue waveform by its mathematical calculus nature. No matter how high the digital resolution it can never recreate a perfect sine wave, we respectful agreed to disagree 😅😉😉👍
You are quite wrong. I am not a 'digital expert' but I have read several times by such experts that a digital system DOES reconstruct PERFECTLY the signal, sine if you like up to just below the Nyquist frequency, i.e. 20kHz for a 44.1kHz sample rate.
If you don't believe me, go ask the question at soundonsound.com and the ex BBC engineers will soon put you right!

Dave.

You are quite wrong. I am not a 'digital expert' but I have read several times by such experts that a digital system DOES reconstruct PERFECTLY the signal, sine if you like up to just below the Nyquist frequency, i.e. 20kHz for a 44.1kHz sample rate.
If you don't believe me, go ask the question at soundonsound.com and the ex BBC engineers will soon put you right!

Dave.
Ok sorry Dave, I get what you say and sorry if I have upset you in any way. Its a pointless discussion, I am not trying to make a point, you know more than me on the technical aspect I am a simple musician and prefer analogue to my ear. You are right what you say
Cheers 😉👍

Dave.
Digital will never sound as good in Dobly 🤣

Back