How Many People Are Using Cassettes Here?

You can see the thick gauge wiring on the record board that feeds the whole audio path. Some serious engineering went into the design of this deck

This is with the playback board removed. There are 3 floors of boards in this deck

This model is from 1989
I like what you do and restoration, its cool and great what you are doing Paul. I get it, and magnetic tape media can sound so good at a high level, but very few people have your skills so its a niche market.
But kudos to you mate.
I dont wish to join the debate of analogue v digital. But I do like analogue media more.
Do you restore any open reel machines? I would like to get my hands on an old Teac or Fostex 16 track one day xxx for my home recording. Running 2 ADATs right now.

I mainly work on cassette decks. I own most of the engineering tools to restore them

Don't worry, All these decks are Made In Japan

IMG-9018.jpg

IMG-9019.jpg

IMG-9020.jpg

Multitrack tape recorders are not that common. I restored quite a few of them before for recording studios. Haven't heard back in a few years from the customers. Maybe they are working great, or they never got used ;)

My first post, hello everybody.

I have been recording on tape deck for some time now. What I do is play flac files from the computer and record it on tape, writing author / title for each song on the sleeve with a pen: It is really exciting!

The mechanical rewind/ff noise of the tape is a classic of the 80s and every time I hear it I am moved

It's amazing every time how good a cassette deck can sound and how unfairly we've underestimated it (any decent deck will sounds much better than spotify or applemusic stream).

I use Nakamichi BX100, an entry level deck from the 80s ($ 60 on ebay)

The tape I use is generally TDK SA, it is easily found on the market and is not expensive

I think that listening to music in this way is a nostalgic act for those who have already did it in the past and instead a fun weirdness for those who have never lived this experience.

(not my actual deck, but this is the model)
Nostalgic and weird about sums up this entire topic.

I haven't recorded anything on Cassette since I was a pre-teen using an old brown Fisher-Price tape recorder... (I mean, I had made mix tapes after that using dual tape decks, but personal original music... yeah... pre-teen). However, my buddy just recorded his latest track using an old four-track tape deck (using a type I tape). So you aren't entirely alone it seems! I still buy cassette tapes... usually because they're fun to collect low run Black Metal releases. My favorite "NFT" releases are really "Nine F#$%^ing Tapes" releases... fun to have 1 of 9. ;) I don't currently have my tape deck setup to listen to any of these cassette tapes however...

Nostalgic and weird about sums up this entire topic.

I find it interesting that you have nothing to contribute other than insults, and have posted many times on this thread. If you truly don't care for the format why bother posting on this thread (Maybe You Are A Closeted Cassette Lover)?

But alas you are a troll, and a long time member of this site. So I will refer to you as "Resident Troll" moving forward

Cheers!

Multitrack tape recorders are not that common. I restored quite a few of them before for recording studios. Haven't heard back in a few years from the customers. Maybe they are working great, or they

Multitrack tape recorders are not that common. I restored quite a few of them before for recording studios. Haven't heard back in a few years from the customers. Maybe they are working great, or they never got used ;)
I have a nice Yamaha MT8X Paul. It is a lovely cassette based multitracker. Uses CR02 and possibly supports metal? Not sure. Anyway it has a very good S/N as all Yamaha products had back in the day. The recorder mechanism runs on double speed/double side format, heads and motor are great quality and the build is first class, I would not be without now as an easy to use quality all in one analogue 8 tracker.
But... it is what it is and has its limitations. An integrated mixer/recorder is never going to be as good as a seperate open reel machine combined with a dedicated desk. And why oh why did Yamaha not give it Dolby S instead of useless DBX? Thats my only gripe.
I bought a nice little Yamaha MG16 to run 2 original model Alesis ADAT's but still fancy finding an open reel 16 track Fostex or Teac or Tascam on day.
😍👍👍👍

Hey Pinky

I’m respectfully asking you to stop posting on my thread. And in the future I kindly ask that you don’t respond or post on ANY of my threads moving forward

I do not want any correspondence from you

Thanks

My first post, hello everybody.

I have been recording on tape deck for some time now. What I do is play flac files from the computer and record it on tape, writing author / title for each song on the sleeve with a pen: It is really exciting!

The mechanical rewind/ff noise of the tape is a classic of the 80s and every time I hear it I am moved

It's amazing every time how good a cassette deck can sound and how unfairly we've underestimated it (any decent deck will sounds much better than spotify or applemusic stream).

I use Nakamichi BX100, an entry level deck from the 80s ($ 60 on ebay)

The tape I use is generally TDK SA, it is easily found on the market and is not expensive

I think that listening to music in this way is a nostalgic act for those who have already did it in the past and instead a fun weirdness for those who have never lived this experience.

(not my actual deck, but this is the model)
Nice unit! I believe... in my limited knowledge that Mr Nakamichi was a Japanese genuis audio engineer who worked closely with the Phillips company in Holland in the 80's to create some state of the the art analogue cassette decks. If you got one of these for 60 bucks it is likely to be an entry level machine, but the Nakamichi name is revered in analogue cassette machine circles, I do know that.
Best off to ask Clam.
😍👍👍

I see Tascam (U.S. only) has two specially formulated High Bias Type II cassettes available on their site. Unbelievable how expensive these things are nowadays.

I see Tascam (U.S. only) has two specially formulated High Bias Type II cassettes available on their site. Unbelievable how expensive these things are nowadays.

Yeah thats a bummer dude. I bought a bunch of TDK CR02 90's about 5 years ago. 20 tapes for £30 Looking at the prices now I am really glad I stocked up.
👍

At some point will have a few of these Sony ES cassette decks for sale. All restored and fine tuned. Some of them modified to sound better

The Nakamichi BX100 is a worthy 2 head cassette deck.

Back