How important are scales and theory in your guitar playing?

Do you use theory and scales in your guitar playing?

• Total voters
I don't know how to classify what I write. It's just rock to me. Maybe with a leaning towards old punk. I guess I do a fairly decent job of incorporating my influences into the songs I write. I guess it's generally a mix of punk and hard rock. There are no augmented 5ths or diminished 9ths or any of that shit in my stuff. There's no room for that kind of musical pomposity. Those chords don't sound good anyway with everything turned to 10. ;)

Loud, fast, fun, and high-energy is all I care about. When I hear music that sounds like homework, I turn it off. I'm not impressed with virtuosity or songs that sound like scale exercises.

I'm a total hack and aim to keep it that way.

Wow,there's some major wheel spinning going on in this thread.Whether or not you use theory is just a matter of preference,there is no right or wrong way,the end product is all that matters.Just different ways of getting the same job done.

Wow,there's some major wheel spinning going on in this thread.Whether or not you use theory is just a matter of preference,there is no right or wrong way,the end product is all that matters.Just different ways of getting the same job done.

Don't be stupid. That would make everybody wrong.;)

good god victory pete managed to spark another endless multi-page debate.he may have been banned but his threads live on.

chamelious, bless his little heart, has a total struggling indie band complex happening. Poor fella can't seperate talent, theory, and record sales. I'm sure what he thinks he's doing is unique and different and is gonna take the world by storm! :D

He doesn't think this at all. I write and perform music because thats what i love doing. If you don't like the music i write, i don't really give a flying sideways fuck. If you think my band dresses the way we do to try and disguise bad music, then fuck you. Thats a pretty offensive accusation to make, we've never given a second thought to the clothes we wear, we dress how we feel like, if you make snap judgments about people based on the clothes they're wearing you have serious problems.

He doesn't think this at all. I write and perform music because thats what i love doing. If you don't like the music i write, i don't really give a flying sideways fuck. If you think my band dresses the way we do to try and disguise bad music, then fuck you. Thats a pretty offensive accusation to make, we've never given a second thought to the clothes we wear, we dress how we feel like, if you make snap judgments about people based on the clothes they're wearing you have serious problems.

You dress the way you do because of the shit music. You're not disguising anything. It's not a snap judgement. I heard your music, remember? Don't act like you don't care. You do. That's why you have a blog, and facebook, and twitter, and myspace, and whatever the fuck else teenie-bopping social site you use to get your sterile radio emo-pop-rock to the dozen or so family and friends that are obligated to pay attention. :D

I don't know how to classify what I write. It's just rock to me. Maybe with a leaning towards old punk. I guess I do a fairly decent job of incorporating my influences into the songs I write. I guess it's generally a mix of punk and hard rock. There are no augmented 5ths or diminished 9ths or any of that shit in my stuff. There's no room for that kind of musical pomposity. Those chords don't sound good anyway with everything turned to 10. ;)

Loud, fast, fun, and high-energy is all I care about. When I hear music that sounds like homework, I turn it off. I'm not impressed with virtuosity or songs that sound like scale exercises.

I'm a total hack and aim to keep it that way.

Which is exactly the right way to think about your music. Keep it raw, visceral, uncomplicated and bursting with energy.

But it is not the only way. There are many other 'right ways'.

There are times when I want simple and unpretentious.

But there are times when I want intricate & pompous.

Fortunately, I can go from one valid form to another.

Wrong. The bands 6 months old. I dress the same way i did 2 years ago, which indecently is jeans, and a white fucking t shirt? What exactly is your problem with that?

Lol. Nothing.....but the teased hair, eyeliner, fingerless sock gloves, and studded belt have to go. Oh, and tucking just the front of your t-shirt into your designer post-punk jeans is mega cheesey. No one cares about your ironic trucker belt-buckle.

Lol. Nothing.....but the teased hair, eyeliner, fingerless sock gloves, and studded belt have to go. Oh, and tucking just the front of your t-shirt into your designer post-punk jeans is mega cheesey. No one cares about your ironic trucker belt-buckle.

Our bassist wears one glove because he gets blisters on his picking hand wrist. No one in the band wears eyeliner. No one wears designer jeans, no ones deliberately tucked their tshirts in, its just the way it happened to be. Teased hair? Are you suggesting that for promo photos we should just leave our hair as it is the morning? Or would you prefer short back and sides, is that it.

Our bassist wears one glove because he gets blisters on his picking hand wrist. No one in the band wears eyeliner. No one wears designer jeans, no ones deliberately tucked their tshirts in, its just the way it happened to be. Teased hair? Are you suggesting that for promo photos we should just leave our hair as it is the morning? Or would you prefer short back and sides, is that it.

Lol @ one glove because of "blisters". Okay. That's so rock and roll! Let me guess.....at least some of you wear aviator sunglasses, right? Maybe some o-ring bracelets? The bottoms of your jeans are scuffed up just right, right? You guys are like a cliche wrapped in a trend. It's so adorable. :D

You are destined for success!

Lol @ one glove because of "blisters". Okay. That's so rock and roll! Let me guess.....at least some of you wear aviator sunglasses, right? Maybe some o-ring bracelets? The bottoms of your jeans are scuffed up just right, right? You guys are like a cliche wrapped in a trend. It's so adorable. :D

You are destined for success!

No, wrong on all counts. Unless you're about to start calling me a liar. Oh actually i did lie, i have sunglasses in my car that're vaguely aviator shaped. You're pathetic, does it make you feel better about yourself what you're doing?

No, wrong on all counts. Unless you're about to start calling me a liar. Oh actually i did lie, i have sunglasses in my car that're vaguely aviator shaped. You're pathetic, does it make you feel better about yourself what you're doing?

Kind of. It's pretty entertaining and a good passer of time! :D

Let me guess, at least one of you "guys" wears patchouli?

Dude, it's teh gerg, learn to roll with it.;)

Here's another guess....your drummer or bassist wears stocking caps while he plays regardless of what the actual temp is?

Back