How do I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juan162

OK, so I have read so many posts here about how people have mod'ed or made their own mics. This is of great interest to me, since I love the satisfaction of making or modifying things into something that I can actually use. For example, I wanted a high end folding bike, so I did my research, bought a 70's Raleigh Twenty, and proceeded to modify it with modern day parts. It's now a great touring machine and I always get great comments from other bikers when I ride it.

In order to gain experience I have been practice soldering and have made myself some stereo electret mics (the kind that uses plug in power) and have been repairing some really cheap wireless mics I bought off of ebay for next to nothing (not the internal guts mind you, but replacing mic wires and connections and resoldering the capsules of broken ones). The minor mods I've done on one of my cheap dynamic handhelds - taking out the inner foam protection and resoldering bad connections - has actually made a noticable difference in sound quality (I still have a stock one that I can compare it to). I have also started reading up on basic electronics. My next project will be to make a phantom powered electret. This will be my first time using perfboard, and I still don't really know how to use it. :eek: I'm using this as my starting point:

http://www.stefanavalos.com/microphones/smallcardioids/diymic01.htm

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look - online, or a book resource - to better educate myself on this stuff? Does anyone have suggestions for me? I'm all ears...or eyes, I guess. I don't really know anyone locally to look to for help so I am hoping for more guidance from the fine folks on this forum who have way more experience than I do.

BTW, I am in on this year's GB and hope to be able to do my own mods when the time comes, hence the work I am putting in now! Thanks in advance,

Juan

Why not post this in the DiY forum now that there is one. It is lonely. :D
Honestly? It's because I'm afraid nobody will visit it there! :p
You know what? I guess I should go for it. Someone's got to start using that forum, right? So somebody please answer me over there!

Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back