How can a song say so much it gives the 'game' away?

LazerBeakShiek

Find Polaris..and Return
Is there any song you guys like or wrote that says so much about life that it almost reveals the whole game? Some songs should come with a spoiler alert. You know? The Beatles wrote sooo deep it fucked with you. Yet it was plain and simple to understand. Even U2 had Acthung Baby! A warning..' a woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle' Bono.

Are the writers actually breaking a 4th or 5th wall and addressing their audience? It is a cool effect and design in their song writing.

There was The Beatles , then ELO and Dylan..Some stragglers got in there but thats my story..how it went. The ones that had something to say...to me.

Here is a lovely song that says much about this thing we are in..

Why does the mind get intrigued so much by a song? What senario is it triggering? How can you say so much with so little? There must be a trick to it. This is not one that gives any 'games' away, but it resonates with me. And definitely goes to another level. Is it that songs of warning capture excitement? Like yelling 'Fire!' in a crowded theater? When i think Skynerd or like Steve miller, its more story based, and doesnt hit the same. When did they start doing the screamy vocals, the Beatles 60's? or Kingsmen Louie Louie..

Soundgarden- Black Hole sun

In my shoes
Walking sleep
In my youth, I pray to keep
Heaven send
Hell away
No one sings like you anymore <----------THIS ! He means 'sings' as yelling vocals? Or vocals that warn people with lyrics?
Black hole sun

If you listen to Ac DC , their songs are moronic..but perfect. Write out those acdc lyrics..Ask yourself how perform them with authority without screaming. The pace of the words is slowed to a point where you forget what hes sayin. It is like brainwashing. On Thunderstruck everyone just goes, nah nah nah Thunder...and thinks of attack helicopter training videos.

...Every man is born to die..Perhaps..But I know 'How to Save a Life'.

capo 3rd

The Fray how to save a life

G D
Step one you say we need to talk
Em D
He walks you say sit down it’s just a talk
G D
He smiles politely back at you
Em D
You stare politely right on through
G D
Some sort of window to your right ----> This aint kids stuff
Em D
As he goes left and you stay right -----> Typical
G D
Between the lines of fear and blame
Em D
And you begin to wonder why you came

CHORUS:

C D Em
Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
G D
Somewhere along in the bitterness
C D Em
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Em C D G
Had I known how to save a life

ECOND VERSE:

G D
Let him know that you know best
Em D
Cause after all you do know best
Em D
Try to slip past his defense
Em D
Without granting innocence
G D Em
Lay down a list of what is wrong
Em D C
The things you've told him all along
G D
And pray to God he hears you
Em D
And pray to God he hears you

THIRD VERSE:

G D
As he begins to raise his voice
Em D G
You lower yours and grant him one last choice -----> there is more to this in life..raising your voice .truth.
D
Drive until you lose the road
Em D
Or break with the ones you've followed
G D
He will do one of two things
Em D
He will admit to everything
G D
Or he'll say he's just not the same
Em D
And you'll begin to wonder why you came.............. Beak out.

Last edited:
Van Morrison? He doesnt yell or scream.. Voice sings sweet. lays it out. Precious time, FTW. Another song of warning. Flowing lyrics.

If I try writing something its like...

como se dice'
is that what she say

me loco en cabasa
just in case ya

wanna roll the dice
you know I make it nice

so, como se dice'
thats what she say

and its dumb..

Last edited:
I think that those of us who end up playing and/or recording music are also those who have felt the profound effect a song can have on maybe a bit deeper level than the average listener. That was a bit of a run on sentence so I hope it is understandable!

Solsbury Hill , Sweet Emotion are a couple that come to mind. Roundabout is another.

I don't ever listen to lyrics - the songs I know that I can sing along to are many, but I cannot remember the words to most, and songs I know well and sang regularly mean nothing to me. I can't say I know what any of them mean - they're just tunes with words. Never heard that ELO track in my life.

. I can't say I know what any of them mean - they're just tunes with words.
They Might Be Giants' Birdhouse in Your soul? Here is a song without any meaning. Its says nothing to me. Not sure if you know of it.

I have a secret to tell
From my electrical well
It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells
So the room must listen to me
Filibuster vigilantly
My name is blue canary one note* spelled l-i-t-e
My story's infinite
Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest

Last edited:
Back