Home studio wish list!!

Wildtown

Hey There,
Putting together a home studio wish list at the moment. A bit of background for ya! I plan to use my pc for all my recording needs. I plan to record, mix, master and produce everything myself. My input devices are electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass guitar, keyboard, electric drum machine and vocals. My pc at the moment has a on board sound card. Im sure Im going to have to upgrade to something a bit better but Im not sure what. Ive seen a some decent software (well seems ok to me) "magix samplitude music studio 15" and its really well priced. So I would like some advice on the software and any suggestions what I could use to connect my input devices to my pc?

thanks

I certainly hope you don't think you're gonna plug your stuff in whatever equipment you might get and start producing hits........:rolleyes:
You sound like someone who isn't all that acquainted with home-recording yet. This isn't to put you down or anything, but we have a newbie section here that is very helpful. Just prepare yourself for a long learning process with lots of trial and error. I would stay away from words like "produce" and "mastering" for a couple of years.....

With regard to equipment, have you thought about treating the room where you're gonna be doing all you want to do? An audio-interface to "connect my input devices to my pc"? Monitors?
Samplitude Music Studio 15 is a great programme to start with, great workflow and it's a kind of light version of Samplitude 10 (which I use so I'm convinced...:D)

Like I said, it's a long process and it's fun if you keep at it, but don't expect miracles right away.

I certainly hope you don't think you're gonna plug your stuff in whatever equipment you might get and start producing hits........:rolleyes:
You sound like someone who isn't all that acquainted with home-recording yet. This isn't to put you down or anything, but we have a newbie section here that is very helpful. Just prepare yourself for a long learning process with lots of trial and error. I would stay away from words like "produce" and "mastering" for a couple of years.....

With regard to equipment, have you thought about treating the room where you're gonna be doing all you want to do? An audio-interface to "connect my input devices to my pc"? Monitors?
Samplitude Music Studio 15 is a great programme to start with, great workflow and it's a kind of light version of Samplitude 10 (which I use so I'm convinced...:D)

Like I said, it's a long process and it's fun if you keep at it, but don't expect miracles right away.

Thanks for the reply,
I’m sorry for posting here, I can see the newbie section now. I will post there in the future. Yeah I’m am new to home recording but I have been reading quite a bit about it over the last few weeks. I just wanted to make sure I get the best equipment I can for my money. I really did like the look of the software. I was just really wanting an idea of how it was etc so thanks for that, I’m probably going to buy it.
As for your comment about expecting great results right away, I don’t. I know it will take time for that to happen. I think your comments were a bit on the rude side If don’t mind me saying. Is no need for that kind of patronising attitude.
That aside thanks for your help

first thing Id suggest doing is buying "Guerilla Home Recording: How to Get Great Sound from Any Studio (No Matter How Weird or Cheap Your Gear Is)" by Karl Coryat

Its very informative, gives you a good foundation on which to learn, and takes some of the mystique out of the terminology used in music recording/production

Ive just started fairly recently and rather than trying to lay down tracks Ive been using recordings to learn more about the software and the technique of getting it to sound good...Its a way off yet but it wont take a couple of years thats for sure ;)

good luck, enjoy, two things Ive learned so far is get the levels right before you record and less is always more :)

PS: I use sonar 8 and sony sound forge studio, great programs, and a line6 DI to get the hardware recorded into the PC...didnt cost that much all in all and is fine for me just now

first thing Id suggest doing is buying "Guerilla Home Recording: How to Get Great Sound from Any Studio (No Matter How Weird or Cheap Your Gear Is)" by Karl Coryat

Its very informative, gives you a good foundation on which to learn, and takes some of the mystique out of the terminology used in music recording/production

Ive just started fairly recently and rather than trying to lay down tracks Ive been using recordings to learn more about the software and the technique of getting it to sound good...Its a way off yet but it wont take a couple of years thats for sure ;)

good luck, enjoy, two things Ive learned so far is get the levels right before you record and less is always more :)

PS: I use sonar 8 and sony sound forge studio, great programs, and a line6 DI to get the hardware recorded into the PC...didnt cost that much all in all and is fine for me just now
Thanks for the reply,
I’ve got a book myself, its "Home Recording for musicians for Dummies" by Jeff Strong. Its a good book but Its a bit old so obviously not up to date with most the recent software developments.

I’ve got my guitar and keyboard covered as far as connecting to my pc. I’ve got a Boss GT10 effects pedal and that’s got USB connectivity which I will use for most of my guitar work. But I would also like to mic it up on occasion because I’ve got a really nice Marshall combo and its great for those singing solos. My keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-E403 and that has USB connectivity as well.

I will have to Mic up the bass because I don’t have DI box for that or I could get a DI box. I will have to experiment with that. I will of course need Mics for the vocals, I’m going to get a Dynamic and condenser microphone (not sure which kind yet).

I think I might just stick with Samplitude 15 as it seems like a great program for the price and it has everything I need. So just need to get a DI box/ Preamp for the Mics. Can you recommend any?

What do you make of these Mics? I take the must have an in built preamp!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-CO1U-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000AP1RE8

Thanks for the reply,
I’m sorry for posting here, I can see the newbie section now. I will post there in the future. Yeah I’m am new to home recording but I have been reading quite a bit about it over the last few weeks. I just wanted to make sure I get the best equipment I can for my money. I really did like the look of the software. I was just really wanting an idea of how it was etc so thanks for that, I’m probably going to buy it.
As for your comment about expecting great results right away, I don’t. I know it will take time for that to happen. I think your comments were a bit on the rude side If don’t mind me saying. Is no need for that kind of patronising attitude.
That aside thanks for your help

I honestly didn't want to come over as rude, so sorry if I did. I don't question your good intentions and I hope you can join our community and be creative. It's just that we get a lot of newbs here who who think that all you have to do is push that magic button and your tracks will sound like Bob Rock....
So, no hard feelings and I'm sure most of us will be glad to help once you get your thing going, just like they helped me. :)

Thanks for the reply,
I’ve got a book myself, its "Home Recording for musicians for Dummies" by Jeff Strong. Its a good book but Its a bit old so obviously not up to date with most the recent software developments.

I’ve got my guitar and keyboard covered as far as connecting to my pc. I’ve got a Boss GT10 effects pedal and that’s got USB connectivity which I will use for most of my guitar work. But I would also like to mic it up on occasion because I’ve got a really nice Marshall combo and its great for those singing solos. My keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-E403 and that has USB connectivity as well.

I will have to Mic up the bass because I don’t have DI box for that or I could get a DI box. I will have to experiment with that. I will of course need Mics for the vocals, I’m going to get a Dynamic and condenser microphone (not sure which kind yet).

I think I might just stick with Samplitude 15 as it seems like a great program for the price and it has everything I need. So just need to get a DI box/ Preamp for the Mics. Can you recommend any?

What do you make of these Mics? I take the must have an in built preamp!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-CO1U-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000AP1RE8

As Im trying to stay on a tight budget I bought a sennheiser e835...not sure where my vocals will end up, shouting, effects laden etc ;) so this is doing me fine..picked it up new for $70...but there are some great mics out there for fairly cheap...for a starter condenser mic try the MCA SP1, I read great things about this very cheap mic..if you are like me then you might not want to shell out too much until you can see what you can achieve..

for phantom power/preamp either use a DI box that takes a mic as well as a guitar or buy a small mixer...that way you get more than just phantom power for about the same price...

I got my DI box for $69 refurbed (though you'd never tell) from rainbowguitars.com in Tuscon...after i downloaded the drivers and bundle it came with I ended up with more than $500 of free software from line6...not all great but damn thats a bargain...

Most of the guys here are very experienced and there doesnt seem to be much they dont know I just feel, if like me, you can make a small investment and learn to walk before you run, you'll get a better foundation to work from...read, practise, read, practise...thats how my day normally goes :)

One more thing, Id also invest in a set of monitors...it really makes a difference on what your hearing and what you are producing..

forgot to say dont buy a USB mic...they are shite, you'll be wasting your money....

http://www.pssl.com/Search?q=SP1&x=0&y=0&by=s

this condenser mic is $40 (yes its chinese, yes its great if you are starting out)...you can pick up a behringer mixer for $40 (I got an 8 channel witth two phantom mic inputs for $25 off C-list)...

when you feel the need to upgrade or if you break 'em you invested peanuts :)

Last edited:
Okay before you go buying any software, check out www.reaper.fm . It's free (an uncrippled) until you feel guilty enough to buy it. So don't jump on any of that other software just yet, figure out if you really want to record more and maybe even reaper is the right software for you.

Your recording for dummies book, even though it won't reference Pro Tools 8.0 or the other latest software, recording essentially stays the same over the years. Everything done yesterday can be applied today and everything done today can be applied tomorrow.

Here is a great newbie primer website. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

That should help you figure out what you need to start your set up.

You have a lot to learn and I hope you can enjoy learning every bit of it.:)

Okay before you go buying any software, check out www.reaper.fm . It's free (an uncrippled) until you feel guilty enough to buy it. So don't jump on any of that other software just yet, figure out if you really want to record more and maybe even reaper is the right software for you.

Your recording for dummies book, even though it won't reference Pro Tools 8.0 or the other latest software, recording essentially stays the same over the years. Everything done yesterday can be applied today and everything done today can be applied tomorrow.

Here is a great newbie primer website. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

That should help you figure out what you need to start your set up.

You have a lot to learn and I hope you can enjoy learning every bit of it.:)
Thanks for that, I will give it a try tonight!

forgot to say dont buy a USB mic...they are shite, you'll be wasting your money....

http://www.pssl.com/Search?q=SP1&x=0&y=0&by=s

this condenser mic is $40 (yes its chinese, yes its great if you are starting out)...you can pick up a behringer mixer for $40 (I got an 8 channel witth two phantom mic inputs for $25 off C-list)...

when you feel the need to upgrade or if you break 'em you invested peanuts :)

Will stay away from the usb mics then!

As Im trying to stay on a tight budget I bought a sennheiser e835...not sure where my vocals will end up, shouting, effects laden etc ;) so this is doing me fine..picked it up new for $70...but there are some great mics out there for fairly cheap...for a starter condenser mic try the MCA SP1, I read great things about this very cheap mic..if you are like me then you might not want to shell out too much until you can see what you can achieve..

for phantom power/preamp either use a DI box that takes a mic as well as a guitar or buy a small mixer...that way you get more than just phantom power for about the same price...

I got my DI box for $69 refurbed (though you'd never tell) from rainbowguitars.com in Tuscon...after i downloaded the drivers and bundle it came with I ended up with more than $500 of free software from line6...not all great but damn thats a bargain...

Most of the guys here are very experienced and there doesnt seem to be much they dont know I just feel, if like me, you can make a small investment and learn to walk before you run, you'll get a better foundation to work from...read, practise, read, practise...thats how my day normally goes :)

One more thing, Id also invest in a set of monitors...it really makes a difference on what your hearing and what you are producing..

Thanks for the advice!

big homie heres da best deal 4 u it expires may 30 so get it while u can
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ans-Gear-Monitor-and-Mic-Package-B?sku=483367

Seems like a good deal may just go for this!

I honestly didn't want to come over as rude, so sorry if I did. I don't question your good intentions and I hope you can join our community and be creative. It's just that we get a lot of newbs here who who think that all you have to do is push that magic button and your tracks will sound like Bob Rock....
So, no hard feelings and I'm sure most of us will be glad to help once you get your thing going, just like they helped me. :)

No hard feeling at all!:)

whats up wildtown!!!!!

If you are just starting out you should try the M-audio hardware/software packages.......I started out with a M-audio Fast Track USB/ M-audio Producer USB mic.....all packaged with M-Audio's Session software. Im sure you could find these VERYYYYYYYYY cheap these days on ebay. The fast track usb will have everything you need as far as recording vocals/guitars/bass guitars etc. If you would like to hear a sample of what it can do.........I have around 6 songs on myspace all recorded with this setup...........dont get me wrong tho.......Im sure the quality of the recordings could have been wwwaaaayyyyy better. I was very new to recording then.......which gets me to my next point.

Before you buy ANYTHING and i mean ANYTHING do your research.

If you are serious with recording the first place you are going to want to visit is this link right here.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

After you have thoroughly read this guide.....then get those books these other fine gentleman have spoke of!!!!!!.

Good luck with your creations freind!!!!!!!

cheers

whats up wildtown!!!!!

If you are just starting out you should try the M-audio hardware/software packages.......I started out with a M-audio Fast Track USB/ M-audio Producer USB mic.....all packaged with M-Audio's Session software. Im sure you could find these VERYYYYYYYYY cheap these days on ebay. The fast track usb will have everything you need as far as recording vocals/guitars/bass guitars etc. If you would like to hear a sample of what it can do.........I have around 6 songs on myspace all recorded with this setup...........dont get me wrong tho.......Im sure the quality of the recordings could have been wwwaaaayyyyy better. I was very new to recording then.......which gets me to my next point.

Before you buy ANYTHING and i mean ANYTHING do your research.

If you are serious with recording the first place you are going to want to visit is this link right here.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

After you have thoroughly read this guide.....then get those books these other fine gentleman have spoke of!!!!!!.

Good luck with your creations freind!!!!!!!

cheers
Thanks for the advice,
Yeah I havent bought anything yet, Im going to do alot of research before I buy anything. Ive really got a lot to think about from this post but Ive also learned alot.
There seems to be a lot of good products out there which kind of makes it hard to choose. Im going concentrate on getting decent microphones and maybe try them with reaper. I will of course need some kind of DI box for them not sure which one yet "so many to choose from".
I had listen to your music not only did it sound good ie production but they were will written songs as well, I really liked "The Devil wears a gun" great intro.
What kind guitar setup so you have?

Back