Home Recording's Dirty Little Secret

What were your home recording expectations vs commercial high end studio recordings?

• Total voters
What I am trying to say is that my experience in the real world is to the contrary. I find players in all genres just getting better and better, regardless of the crutch that technology may give.
Maybe the technology has made it possible that more people are involved, so the common denominator level may be low.
The second part is the problem, not the first. Compare and contrast "players" and "recorders". The double-edge sword to the technology, which is quite evident on this board alone (at least to me it is) is not that the overall level of musicianship in the human race is going down, but rather the sheer number of recordings made by people with far more ego than talent has skyrocketed.

Say what you will about "the suits" - and trust me, I am not interested in defending them - but they at least more often than not keep the untalented out of the studio. (Ignore the obviously manufactured talent when you read that; that is not the music biz anymore, that is the "entertainment" biz, and does not count. I'm talking actual musicianship.)

Now we have the meSpaces and meTubes of the Internet bursting at the seams with audio and video of me, me, me bands and artists who for some reason think it's more important to get themselves into an mpeg file than it is t to actually learn how to play drums or sing or play triangle first.

Yeah, we also have some great talent out there, too, but the talent-to-hack ratio is disgustingly low.

I am lucky in that I have managed to fall into an orbit with some excellent musicians. The majority of them have been pro recorded in the past (and present), most of them as session musicians and members of various bands under various names - though there are a few up-and-coming solo artists in the bunch. The sadly ironic thing is that very few of them are actually all that interested in recording. They take session gigs for the paychecks, but they don't really enjoy it all that much, and could care only a little less than they do about what goes on behind the glass. They just want to play music, and having to record it is just a pain in the ass that gets in the way. There are exceptions, but even those interested in recording put the music first.

It sure would be nice I think if we saw a little more of that attitude amongst those who couldn't hit a snare the same twice in a row but insist on having three different mics and three different studio track recordings of that snare anyway.

G.

the sheer number of recordings made by people with far more ego than talent has skyrocketed.

True. We also have 2 billion more people on the planet since you and I were kids.

Yeah, we also have some great talent out there, too, but the talent-to-hack ratio is disgustingly low.

Its always been low, we just didnt know it.:D

I had to sign in on the level of talent issue. Being a "working" musician for about 40 years I have been actively involved in many genres of music and have seen the changes in music and recording technology up-close from both sides of the glass. I hold myself to a high standard and have been fortunate to work with many fine musicians (both young and old) - and certainly have worked with many who were average rather than excellant (anyone less than average - I part ways very quickly).

However, I believe (and have witnessed) on a whole, each generation of musicians have the potential to always be better than the generation before. Each generation learns from the generation before and then adds something - which allows the next generation an even higher learning platform to benefit from. Certainly there are waaay too many people who strap on a guitar (or whatever axe they choose) for the wrong reasons - and these people rarely achive a high level of skill and in fact normally depart from music after a short, unsuccessful stay. But those who choose to excel can and often are better than those who came before.

While the technology can be a crutch, it can also be a wonderful tool - it is all up to the user. The information and knowledge on the internet and in various instructional videos/DVDs allows a person to study and learn from world class musicians. Instruments, sound processing and recording gear - in the right hands can provide musicians with sounds, tone and control of their instruments that past generations could not even dream of.

I've worked with hundreds of musicians and I can honestly say some of the younger players I've encounterd in the last 10 years have much better fundamental skill, technique and technical knowledge (used as a tool not as a crutch) than most of the older "seasoned" players.

Whould I rather go into a pick-up gig with some more seasoned players who I know will make the gig and who have a solid understanding of numerous musical genres, etc. - even if they can't "burn" as well as some younger players - absolutely. However, in the studio - the technical mastery and pure energy of younger musicians provides me with much joy and more importantly, continues to motivate me to embrace the technology and to continue to advance as both a musician and as an engineer (and at 55, I need that young energy to stay motivated).

While I have certain concerns and doubts about the future of the music industry in general - I have no doubt that each generation of musicians and studio technicians wil produce many outstanding talents - each better than the generations before (and the turds - they all fall by the wayside somewhere along the way).

the sheer number of recordings, recordee's, mastering, mixing, everything...period...... has skyrocketed

the fact BestBuy, Walmart, and everyone else is selling guitars and recording systems and the gear is getting the coveted "shelf space" in these MEGA MART stores, proves we haven't seen the end of the Tidal Wave flood of music and recordings...

I heard Fisher-Price baby toy company is coming out with a guitar/recording USB system for 0 to 3yr olds. Is this true?

Its always been low, we just didnt know it.:D
Because the hacks weren't published and distributed. That's what I'm referring to. I'm not commenting AT ALL on the quality of this generation's musicians. I'm commenting on the quality of this generation's recording musicians
I had to sign in on the level of talent issue.
However, I believe (and have witnessed) on a whole, each generation of musicians have the potential to always be better than the generation before.
Again, I don't disagree with that in principle. I'm talking about those who play and record as a set, not the whole set of those who play. My point is that with the rise of independent recording, the previous filters to publishing (A&R guys, "the suits") have been removed.

While most netheads view this as a development with zero downside, there appears to be little interest in any self-regulation on the part of the independent recorders. People who can't play a lick now get just as much bandwidth as a Yo Yo Ma or Howard Levy does, and are proud of it. The fact that they can't play a lick is either invisible or irrelevant to them, as long as they get their ego stroked with their 5MB of fame. And since there are ten thousand of these folks for every Yo Yo Ma or Howard Levy out there, the signal of the good musicians gets lost in the increasing noise of published hackdom..
the sheer number of recordings, recordee's, mastering, mixing, everything...period...... has skyrocketed

the fact BestBuy, Walmart, and everyone else is selling guitars and recording systems and the gear is getting the coveted "shelf space" in these MEGA MART stores, proves we haven't seen the end of the Tidal Wave flood of music and recordings...

I heard Fisher-Price baby toy company is coming out with a guitar/recording USB system for 0 to 3yr olds. Is this true?
It's called Guitar Hero :D. Or, at least it might as well be...:rolleyes I mean, come on, there are almost as many vids on meTube of people playing Guitar Hero as there are of people playing guitar. Don't even get me started on the new wave of popularity surrpunding air guitar contests...:eek::rolleyes:

You're right, music performance recording has become as commonplace in the 21st century as making mix tapes from albums was in the second half of the 20th. The problem is the majority people still think it's as easy as keeping the meters out of the red and pushing the record button, and they will sound exactly like the mix tapes they used to listen to, without any regard for technique on either side of the glass. Which neatly brings us back to the thread/poll topic here :).

G.

Because the hacks weren't published and distributed. That's what I'm referring to. I'm not commenting AT ALL on the quality of this generation's musicians. I'm commenting on the quality of this generation's recording musiciansAgain, I don't disagree with that in principle. I'm talking about those who play and record as a set, not the whole set of those who play. My point is that with the rise of independent recording, the previous filters to publishing (A&R guys, "the suits") have been removed.

None of this bothers me at all. In fact, it has only worked to my advantage. A guy like me can actually can get his music heard. I dont care about the Chocolate Rain guys out there, they do what they do and I do what I do. The "suit's" have put out plenty of crappy records in the last 100 years. Yes, we now have CD Baby, where anyone with 50 bucks can sell a record. Thats a long way from getting distribution and airplay. There are a gazillion records out there, but 99.999999% of them arent doing anything except collecting virtual dust.

the previous filters to publishing

Lets face it, they were doing a pretty damn bad job of filtering before.:D For every classic rock album out there, there are 100 that totally sucked and are totally forgotten. Was Melanie a musical genius? .... I gotta brand new pair of rollerskates....:D How bout Shatner, Nimoy, Don Johnson? Joe Pesci made albums!!:eek: How bout " The battle of the Green Berets", or " The auctioneer song"? Tiny Tim, Toni Basil, The Cowsills, the Macarena? And classical had it's Salieris.;)

Thanks for the compliment, Robin.:)

What I am trying to say is that my experience in the real world is to the contrary. I find players in all genres just getting better and better, regardless of the crutch that technology may give. Maybe the technology has made it possible that more people are involved, so the common denominator level may be low.

Throughout history, in any genre, there has always been a musical generation gap that assumes the next generation wont be as good as the current or past. It's never happened and never will, its contrary to humanity. The one thing that might be different: we are not HEARING the good music. Thats due to the suits.

Other genres are thriving: broadway has had some spectacular shows in the past 10 years. Film scores are great and well done, country has some killer players. Vegas has great playing, shows like Celtic Women, Riverdance etc do too. Orchestras are WAAAAY better than they were when I started playing in them 25 years ago. The quality goes up every year.

I don't doubt that there are players that are killer. For me, rather than be a top shelf player, I'd rather be a great writer and average player, but thats me. I think writing has taken a real hit these days with live performance taking a nose dive for many reasons. Thats a shame because live performance is where the real writers and players develope their craft. Years ago a live band played most every night, now its one or none. Even the big city New York and London scene is down. The suburbs are just...well terrible. Without a lot of live play, it hard for a true artist to develope. This trend has been going on for years. I'm certain there are some great artist out there but there are less of them because it is so tough to survive. Even live weddings are down which has always been a core cash cow for many a seasoned player. Again, without a lot of live play, we're going to see less great players and writers.

For what I know (or don't know) most film scores are done is something like GigaStudio. Here the digital box shines and saves the movie producers a bucket load of doe. The old days of the orchestra in the pit is gone. The digital wonder box is here to stay for all its short comings. Its a double edged sword really.

There was a time when the radio system was well connected with the big record producing companies. When radio cared about the music...when the DJ knew his local market and spun his own play list. Radio was owned by local families then. Now the radio system is owned by corporate bean counting suits whose only interest is the advertising revenue radio generates. The music is just product to be used and abused. This connection existed from the very beginning of radio. It is now gone. It certainly is a magor factor, not the only one however, contributing to the decline of the music industry in general. So yes, they'll still be great players out there, but less and less of them. The infrastructure is just not in place anymore to support and nuture them anymore. Only the few diehards will survive.

Bob

Absolutely, David. But I think Bob's referring to the general level of musicianmanship, say, in Rock and Pop as a result of recording technology, etc., not the top level players to which you refer (and indeed belong, may I add).

naw... most musicians record in a very similar way as the old days...those are only a small amount of lazy people.

Thanks for the compliment, Robin.:)

What I am trying to say is that my experience in the real world is to the contrary. I find players in all genres just getting better and better, regardless of the crutch that technology may give. Maybe the technology has made it possible that more people are involved, so the common denominator level may be low.

Throughout history, in any genre, there has always been a musical generation gap that assumes the next generation wont be as good as the current or past. It's never happened and never will, its contrary to humanity. The one thing that might be different: we are not HEARING the good music. Thats due to the suits.

Other genres are thriving: broadway has had some spectacular shows in the past 10 years. Film scores are great and well done, country has some killer players. Vegas has great playing, shows like Celtic Women, Riverdance etc do too. Orchestras are WAAAAY better than they were when I started playing in them 25 years ago. The quality goes up every year.

You are SOOOO right on there.

Say what you will about "the suits" - and trust me, I am not interested in defending them - but they at least more often than not keep the untalented out of the studio. (Ignore the obviously manufactured talent when you read that; that is not the music biz anymore, that is the "entertainment" biz, and does not count. I'm talking actual musicianship.)

I disagree. THe type of music that is chosen by "suits" is the exact type of music that supports bringing a bunch of shitty musicians, to shake their arses and sing songs that some 50 year old guy in a cubicle wrote about his teenage angst. Most of the companies that actually hire talented people are headed up by people who actually care about music... The only talented folks on big labels are there only because they've allready made it pretty big before they got that particular deal (unless they were one of the 20% signed for the purpose of losing money)

okay guys...here's the deal. Since most of the people talking about the issue of whether easier access to recording/distributing is suddenly flooding the world with more hacks than ever and making it hard for the people with real talent.

Absolutely not true. Do you think that if someone cannot play worth a shit to the point that it makes terrible music that people will listen to it other than their grandma mildred and her bridge club, and maybe their school yard pals. If people are suddenly drawn to it, in a medium such as that, where there aren't big marketing bucks and such, then maybe, even if the musicianship isn't the best...there's SOMETHING that strikes a chord with people...so they're doing something right then...

anyway, besides that point. Level of musicianship, as long as the music business has been the deciding factor of who gets to do music for everyone...It's always been well known that some of the best musicians on the planet aren't playing big arenas to screaming fans, or on the cover of magazines, but playing "The El Sombrero (hehe) Mexican Restaurant and Jazz club" that's a converted McDonalds from the 70s, or even on a street corner for passers by.

The music industry has nothing to do with talent, and never has. There have been some talented folks who have made it huge , sure, but they were chosen, not for their talent, but how much money the suits believed they could make off of them... maybe it was their flamboyance, or maybe they had a smaller deal with a REAL company who cared about music where they got a feverish response, and they wanted to capitalize off of it. That's why we've had all these hacks who can't play to save their life, simply with bucks thrown at some studio wizards to make them sound somewhat passable.

The new system of music is WONDERFUL for independent musicians...it's a godsend... It removes the way that it was once a necessary evil to get screwed by a big label in order for people to hear your music (and labels...ALWAYS did their best to screw artists....every time).

With new internet models of distribution, and more access to music creation tools, it only levels the playing field..so that you don't need to be independently wealthy, or sign away all of your art to some little shit in an expensive suit in order to get music out. All you have to do is make it, put it online, and people will hear it... you can even do the marketing and distribution yourself, which further keeps the control in your hands, and more money per unit sold into your pockets. It gives these small artists, with not much money a chance just as much as everyone else to make it big. If you suck, you won't make it big, especially without big marketing bucks...so why are the losers making home videos of themselves farting into a mic a threat to you guys.

Some of you need to look at this from the standpoint of a musician/songwriter as well. There was a great deal of touble involved in someone who has a gift of songwriting being able to make a song that is ready to go, or even up to the quality of a demo for a big label (since that was pretty much the only way to get really famous back then)..they'd squander every last penny paying for studio time from a second rate engineer, because even though it was a lot of money for them, they could only afford the cheapest of the cheap, which often had a sound to match. Now, if someone egets an idea, it's very possible to go to the computer and get that idea out, in such a good quality that it can rival a big budget full on studio recording (if they have figured out how to do so)...really...all this has done is remove the excuses as to why one can't do it. There are none.

For a small amount of money you can assemble a pretty good home studio, which could turn out ever as professional results as big studios when learned how to harness it right. Some time can be spent honing a craft that doesn't involve getting coffee at a studio for months without getting paid and practically having to pan handle on the streets just to not be homeless, only to become an assistant engineer (studio bitch) who has to do most of the work, acts as a punching bag for the egos of the guy in his "throne" aka. the BIG CHAIR, only to find out that the engineer is going to hold onto his position (even though he is the studio bitch for...THE PRODUCER..and has to deal with that cocksuckers ego) with white knuckles until the day he dies, so you either find a new job (and follow the same pattern of degradation), go freelance, murder the engineer, or remain being taken advantage of. (keep in mind, this is coming from someone who's looking at that experience from a third person, so I'm very unbiased... most professional work I've done in an actual studio was 1. studio musician 2. producer)

Anyway... it's just silly to asume that just because big labels aren't "keeping the riff raff out of the studio" that it's going to make any difference... we as audio professionals, might have to deal with more untalented folk, but we are only one part of a giant industry, the flip side is that there will be more original music actually getting out there, since we don't have a bunch of wimpy business idiots choosing what gets to be heard and what doesn't. The people will decide what they want to listen to (isn't it amazing how people suddenly become so eclectic as soon as they stop looking to major media for their musical preferences).. There will be more opportunity to actually do what music is all about, making art, and people hearing it, and will remove any excuse as to why no one listens to one's art (such as... I'm not signed, can't afford time at a good studio, can't afford marketing, can't afford to replicate my CD...etc..)

I disagree. THe type of music that is chosen by "suits" is the exact type of music that supports bringing a bunch of shitty musicians
I have no idea what that means outside of a bias on your part against certain genres of music. Talent, or lack of it, is not genre dependant. Ego, or lack of it, is not genre-dependant. I have dealt with (or at least listened to) performers on both ends of the talent spectrum in everything from neo-classical synth to rhythm&rock to hip-hop to world music to delta blues to opera. There are gifted prodigies and deluded hacks in all of them. The problem is the hacks outnumber the talented by about 1000:1, and no genre is immune. You want outside proof? Just head over to meTube.

I'm not just talking the big labels, I'm talking all labels. I'm trying to contrast that to independant publishing. If there is a label, there is an A&R guy and/or a manager who makes the decision, who acts as a filter for what gets published and what doesn't. You don't have to be a big label for that description to apply. I talking about that process versus the new process of self-publishing.

Of course the "suits" do not have a perfect record. Of course they are running a business and trying to make money (don't kid yourself; most small labels would sell you their integrity sliced and sauteed and served on a platter for the right price). But they at least can recognize when someone isn't even playing in key or can't make a proper chord change to save their lives.

Yes, the independent scene will alllow a lot of good talent get out there that might not otherwise by the old system. And that is great. I'm not saying otherwise. Hell, I woudn't have my own website on - and in fact called - independent recording if I did not wholeheartedly support it!

What I am saying is that without the old filtering process in the new world, I believe some throttling back on the ego on the parts of the less talented in our population is called for. Don't hit that goddamned record button until you have earned the right to hit it by actually practicing and learning and becoming worth recording first. There are no entitlements here. Everybody has the right to publish, but like with any right, it comes with the responsibility to exercise it without abuse.

Why does it matter? Because to abuse the right not only abuses our newfound freedoms, but it makes them less important. What good is it to have the number or great artists who can get "discovered" triple or quadruple when the number of hacks camoflauging them is multiplied by a hundred or a thousand? The number of needles in the haystack goes up, but the size of the haystack goes up even more making those needles even harder to find.

That's not exactly the definition of leveling the playing field, is it? And besides, who says the playing field should be level? Should we drop the height of basketball nets just to level the playing field so that 5'2" people can play inthe NBA?

G.

I can get what your saying, but I think you're misunderstanding my point..

I never mentioned any genre of music... Was that a different poster? Did you misunderstand my jazz comment? Wasn't to say that jazz players are better...was more to make a joke of a very typical...slightly exaggerated name of a place that one might find some amazing musicians, who haven't gotten anywhere playing at. Even jabbing at the fact they called it a jazz joint, even though there's probably way more than just jazz played there.

The ratio has always been the same...it's just that it's easier for everyone to get out there... but my point is...it doesn't matter if theres even one million more hacks out there...they won't be able to compete with people who make really good music that people want to hear. If someone cannot compete under that model and they could under the old model, perhaps they should look more at themselves...maybe they weren't doing as meaningful music as they thought, and it was pretty much just big bucks thrown around everywhere that got them out to people.

The A&R guy became just another suit, in order to protect his job...there are lots of A&R guys that are huge music fans, even in large labels, but... they aren't really allowed to go out on a limb for anything, or sign anything based on what they think will be good music (a good product), and ONLY sign music that is tried and tested, that will be a surefire way to make tons of money...now the argument of well they're a business, of course they want to make money... yes of course... but... not very many companies can survive with such little care as to the quality of their product, just that there's the right kind of product...companies that make shitty quality will get berated on consumer reports, product reviews, and people will usually avoid it like the plague...unless it's way cheaper than the quality product, but nobody would in their right mind buy a piece of shit product if they're asking the same price as a very high quality alternative.. if you went to a restaurant and the food you ordered was molding and had maggots crawling around it...would you be satisfied if the owner came up to you and said..well... We're a business, we gotta make money...and our market studies show people like prime rib.. so just eat it or don't eat here... No you'd demand a higher quality product, you'd want your money back, and probably leave the place in a huff refusing to pay. People wouldn't go to that restaurant anymore...why this exception for the music industry? Why is it okay for them to manufacture shit, but every other industry has a huge amount of accountability to deal with?

Small labels, tend to care more about the artists they sign, and more often sign them because they feel they make very good art. Of course they need to make a profit, but there are ways to make any really great music make a profit...sometimes it just takes more work...or a creative approach. Major labels are often headed up by people who are known for being ruthless businessmen... They are usually parts of bigger corporations who literally appoint these pseudo celebrity CEOs to the position, because they made such a great profit running the widgets over at ACME manufacturing company. Indie labels are founded by people who really care about music..and so want to create an outlet for music to get out there. Now, I know most of the big labels started that way, but that was so long ago, any hint of that mindset died with the original staff.

Sure though, I'd agree that it's good form to be more prepared for a recording... but let's put it this way... if there are a thousand people who call themselves a plumber in a city, but have no credentials, own no tools, and don't answer their phone when you call for them...the one guy who's a real plumber won't have any lesser chance of success...in fact people probably will appreciate him even more when they've been through all the shit with the other guys. (if your competition is 100x worse than you, that's a GREAT thing for you...even better than if you had no competition at all)

Now, if all these people were great artists, then I could certainly agree with the needle in a haystack...but it's more like a diamond in the rough analogy...There are a few gems and now more than ever, if someone has something that people are touched by, then they can get it out to people, and those people will decide for themselves what they think of it.. It's more of an honest system as to what people actually like, instead of what they are influenced to like when their insecurities, fears, and (mostly sexual or monetary) desires are played into (pretty much how advertising works).

I mean, I can somewhat see what you're saying... but in reality it's not as big of an issue as you might think. About the only part that makes it harder in my eyes, is forcing people to be more original instead of just doing what's been done a million times because it's safe (which is a good thing, and further contributes to my standpoint that this system in effect makes for much more creative original music)

The thing is...there are some short people in the NBA..not very many, but a few... Athletics are different in the respect that, all you need is your body to get really good....Most NBA players are even taken right out of college if they have an extraordinary ability. THey don't need to lower the hoop, because there are people who are able to make it, despite their shortness, and still be a good ball player. When you're barrier is money, it's WAY WAY WAY harder to overcome that. In some cases, impossible...If you practice all day every day an athletic activity you'll get good, and who knows maybe you could make it...a buddy of mine for a short time made it in the NHL right out of high school, just because he practiced a lot...now it's much different when you have to have a certain financial solution in order to get to your goal... if everyone could easily change their financial situation like that, we'd all be billionaires.

Last edited:
so why are the losers making home videos of themselves farting into a mic a threat to you guys.

Exactly!:D:cool:

If some dork wants to tape his farts and sell it on CD baby, more power to him. He's not gonna be cutting into my Classical crossover-Stravinskyesque audience one bit. He's gonna press 500 CDs and keep 490 of them in a box under his bed.

it doesn't matter if theres even one million more hacks out there...they won't be able to compete with people who make really good music that people want to hear.
I agree with that. What I'm saying, though, is that the flood of independent publishing makes it harder for the talented to get found/heard. Similarly...
if there are a thousand people who call themselves a plumber in a city, but have no credentials, own no tools, and don't answer their phone when you call for them...the one guy who's a real plumber won't have any lesser chance of success...in fact people probably will appreciate him even more when they've been through all the shit with the other guys.
He won't have any chance at all with people who never get the chance to call him. If those thousaand hack plumbers are all in the Yellow Pages, with half of them named AAA Plumbing so they get listed first, Joe Realplumber may never even get a call from the majority of his potential customers.

Sure, there's word-of mouth. And if there's one thing that the Internet is good for, it's for spreading word-of-mouth. It still requires that word to get started, though, and only an idiot would take the odds of random chance; simply putting up a meSpace page or a meTube clip and waiting for it to catch fire or goviral is not a very efficient strategy when you're one of a hundred million doing the same thing, and 99 million of them are not worth the bandwidth they waste.

Like it or not, sooner or later the indie community is going to congeal around some new "filters". People are going to get tired of surfing meTube just the way they got tired of surfing the Internet several years ago. They are going to want trusted sources they can go to to find or recommend the wheat they want without having to wade through the mountains of chaff.

We already see this trend starting. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of music review bloggers out there trying to do this very thing. We're still at an early stage, though, and it actually doubles the problem because they're still trying to shake out the talented bloggers from the hack bloggers. But eventually...sooner than later...a small subset of these folks will gain the majority of people's trust in their opinions and become the premiere go-to sites for finding and recommending quality independent recordings in the genres of their specialty.

This will attract not only the listeners, but also the talent. If someone want's to get heard, they'll know that they gotta get this guy's or gal's recommendation. At this point they will become the new kingmakers; a 21st century mix somewhere between Alan Freed, Chaz Chandler and Roger Ebert.

And the cycle will start over again. The kingmakers will want to sign the best or the most popular of the talent that comes to them to exclusive distribution as exchange for their promotion. And before you know it, we're back to a 21st century, Internet version of "record labels" again.

Then will come the backlash from the next generation of kids who'll sound like they're living in some version of "The Authority Song", and push for a new independence and an attempt to bring down the latest generation of their father's "Orwellian masters". And the cycle goes on. And on. And on.

G.

Last edited:
I agree with that. What I'm saying, though, is that the flood of independent publishing makes it harder for the talented to get found/heard. Similarly...He won't have any chance at all with people who never get the chance to call him. If those hundred hack plumbers are all in the Yellow Pages, with half of them named AAA Plumbing so they get listed first, Joe Realplumber may never even get a call from the majority of his potential customers.

I got contacted by a label through Soundclick. 10 zillion people have stuff on soundclick, so did I. The label literally wrote me through Soundclick. My new label is Sony/BMG.:cool: It can happen.;)

I got contacted by a label through Soundclick. 10 zillion people have stuff on soundclick, so did I. The label literally wrote me through Soundclick. My new label is Sony/BMG.:cool: It can happen.;)
Of course it CAN happen. And, frankly I can't think of someone more deserving than you :). But that doesn't mean it WILL happen for every David K out there. In fact, the odds are that it won't. You, my friend, were lucky enough to beat the odds. :)

G.

What real sense does all of this make? The fact is live music has declined dramatically. Earnings for artists is not even enough to fill their gas tanks and put a sandwich on the table. Clubs that do have bands don't want anyone that doesn't have a following. People just don't have the time to sit home and listen to their favorite (purchased) CD with their buddies once high school is over. They download the MP3 and listen on their iPod when they can. We live in a 24/7 work world today. Sunday used to be church and family day. Now its a work day like any other. It tough enough to get by with a regular job. How do we expect the artist of today to get enough live gigs and pay to survive? (and get really good at the same time). The system is no longer in place to support a robust music scene outside of some core places like LA or Nashville. Even New Orleans is gone. The golden age is past. There is an ever shrinking talent pool. The day of the super group is over. Even if you have your own web site and self promote to whatever capacity you are able, you still cannot make enough doe to pay for your neccessities.
As the years have been passing, the music business, more and more, has become one for dreamers. Those dreamers are doing a lot of recording though. They can't play out all that much to improve their chops but they sure can record on the wonder box and post those MP3s for the world to hear. Recording gear they bought with their day jobs.

Back