Hittin’ The Road Again...

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
I can hardly stand it. It’s like the night before Christmas...can’t sleep. I hit the road in about four hours...heading out on a day trip to pick something up.

Last edited:

That baby is going to clean up real nice....a real top-shelf console!

What kind of I/O connections does it use in the back...basic XLR & 1/4" or some type of multi-pin connector?
Did you score any cabling with it?

Studer?! 963?!!, No 928

G

Yeah...it's a 928.
He scored a very sweet deal on a great console. Studer never made any so-so gear.
I'm so glad he pulled the trigger. He needed this...time for him to get back into it deep! :thumbs up:

Yup. I'd say you dove into the deep end of the pool. That desk looks quite substantial.
:D

Back home, safe and sound. Good trip. Always nice to meet good people on a purchase. Took one of my boys with me. Road trips are always good. Also got to visit with a tech friend of mine.

[MENTION=144621]sasquatch[/MENTION]: LOL! :D

[MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION]: yeah it’s nice and straight...no jank. All the I/O is balanced (including inserts) either by transformer or electronically, or in the case of the group and dual main outs a combination of the two. The backplane is modular, and most of the inputs and outputs including direct outs are via XLR jacks except for the master section where there are 6 multipin connectors that handle the more dense collection of I/O there in addition to some XLR. The multipin connector type *looks* kind of like Tuchel, but the seller said he didn’t think that was it. I think he included three bare connectors. The inserts are all via TT Bantam jacks on the onboard TT patchbay.

Folks this is a modular 28 channel console with 4 mix busses and 2 independent main busses. There are 12 mono input modules and 16 stereo line input modules. I will be using it as a split console, 12 source channels and 16 tape/DAW returns. It’s perfect for my setup. Some other highlights: each input module has 4-band EQ, all bands sweepable, hi/lo bands are shelving, mid bands are peaking. Mono module EQ includes two different Q settings for each mid band. There are 6 mono and 2 stereo AUX sends per module, switchable pre/post in pairs and there is a whole bunch of jumper settings for AUX buss, insert and direct out tapping points per channel pre/post fade and pre/post EQ. Stereo channels, in addition to a PAN/BALANCE control, also have a switchable stereo width control, mono to 2x stereo. You read that right. And it sounds incredible. The frame accommodates up to 8 mix busses. Mine is fitted with 4, and highlights there include an asssignable/configurable stereo return on each group module, and a compressor/limiter that can be inserted into the group, or patched to any module including the main busses via the patchbay. Main busses have an onboard limiter each. The console is absolutely chock full of super useful features for control room and studio monitoring. All faders are P&G VCA faders...4 VCA groups. No automation. Input module metering has 3 user selectable tap points...peak LED monitors 3 places for peaks and lights if signal hits threshold at any of them. The meter bridge is fully modular. Mine has meters for all 10 AUX busses, groups and both main busses, gain reduction for the compressors, and a stereo correlation meter switchable between either main buss. And it is all wrapped in Studer quality both structurally and sonically.

Last edited:
Super!
I like that you have some on-board processing besides the EQ. Saves on the external requirements and patching.
I would KILL for some stereo channels, since I very often have multiple stereo pairs coming out of the DAW. I believe they made them for my Trident...but they're like hen's teeth...I think I saw them once on eBay, but it was before I got my Trident.

So yeah, with the 16 stereo channels...you cover a lot of ground, and actually you can probably find a nice working combination of both mono and stereo channel usage for both source and mixdown once you get your working SOP set. Like I always have stereo OH and Tom pairs...and I often record my Hammond with a L/R setup...etc...so having the mono/stereo channel options is WAY nice! :)

Oh...and can we get some decent up-close pictures soon...horizontal shots ;) I got a kink in my neck from that van/SUV shot...
...as soon as you have set up and with the side panels, etc.
Speaking of the van/SUV...can't tell what you used there, but I'm curious how long is that board? (The original listing is gone now).
I think it's almost as long as my Trident, but probably just a little shorter, since the Trident has 28 channels plus the 12x2 monitor channels.
I know I j-u-s-t got the Trident to fit into my SUV with the back seats down...so I'm guessing that's what used?

I'll also say this...it's been almost three years now this Feb since I got my Trident...and to this day, I still remember that trip. The excitement the night before, the 3 hour ride to pick it up, and then back again...unloading it the next day (well, I pulled the channels the same night I got home, then the frame the next day).
It's all been burned in my brain as permanent "super nice day" that I will always enjoy thinking about...and I'm sure you will to with the Studer.

Last edited:
[MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION]

Super!

I like that you have some on-board processing besides the EQ. Saves on the external requirements and patching.
I would KILL for some stereo channels, since I very often have multiple stereo pairs coming out of the DAW. I believe they made them for my Trident...but they're like hen's teeth...I think I saw them once on eBay, but it was before I got my Trident.

Yeah the onboard dynamics are a bonus as far as I’m concerned....four mono compressor/limiters (linkable) and two stereo limiters. People don’t necessarily rave about them, but then that’s the gearschmutz crowd and I don’t know what their standards are. Higher than mine. And anyway the Studer stuff has GOT to be better than my entry level rack gear I have now.

I wouldn’t mind having some more group modules...but I think they are more like gold hen’s teeth. More importantly I don’t think the are really necessary to my setup.

So yeah, with the 16 stereo channels...you cover a lot of ground, and actually you can probably find a nice working combination of both mono and stereo channel usage for both source and mixdown once you get your working SOP set. Like I always have stereo OH and Tom pairs...and I often record my Hammond with a L/R setup...etc...so having the mono/stereo channel options is WAY nice! :)

Yeah at first I was kind of not excited about all the line modules. The more I thought about it and read the manual about them, I’m pretty stoked they’re there. Especially with the width control. You can do some awesome stuff with reverb and delay returns. And yeah there’s 16 of them, but typically if I have a 16-track project, half those tracks are stereo pairs. That means I only use 12 stereo modules...4 are still free for other returns or inputs...it’s going to work really well.

Oh...and can we get some decent up-close pictures soon...horizontal shots ;) I got a kink in my neck from that van/SUV shot...

Yeah I still don’t know why the pics sometimes come out all sideways. If you click on the image it should open in the proper orientation. I haven’t figured out how to correct that. It is something with the uploader. But it’s just the thumbnail that it jacked.

...as soon as you have set up and with the side panels, etc.

Well, that’s going to be a bit because we don’t have room in the house to set it up. It will have to wait on the studio space being finished, and that’s a ways off...baby...finances...those are the priorities at the moment. But I’ll be getting some additional pics up well before then.

Speaking of the van/SUV...can't tell what you used there, but I'm curious how long is that board? (The original listing is gone now).
I think it's almost as long as my Trident, but probably just a little shorter, since the Trident has 28 channels plus the 12x2 monitor channels.
I know I j-u-s-t got the Trident to fit into my SUV with the back seats down...so I'm guessing that's what used?

Yeah I’m pretty sure the Trident is significantly wider...with the legs on the Studer is about 56” wide. The 928 frame buckets came in two sizes: 12 slots and 16 slots. You could order a 928 with up to 96 slots total I believe. There are three buckets in mine: a 12 slot and two 16 slot...30mm per slot. And that’s a borrowed older Dodge Caravan minivan thing I was driving. With the console in the back and all the seats removed, there was still room to fit the side panel/legs and moving dollies laying flat on the floor in between the console frame and the front seats.

I'll also say this...it's been almost three years now this Feb since I got my Trident...and to this day, I still remember that trip. The excitement the night before, the 3 hour ride to pick it up, and then back again...unloading it the next day (well, I pulled the channels the same night I got home, then the frame the next day).
It's all been burned in my brain as permanent "super nice day" that I will always enjoy thinking about...and I'm sure you will to with the Studer.

Yeah, this trip will stick as a good memory...not only was it great to pick up the console, but my son and I had a good time together.

[MENTION=15168]famous beagle[/MENTION]

Yeah it’s a chunk...really well designed...thought out. I’m sure there will be niggling issues to deal with, but this is a working console...so this is weird for me. I usually grab something that is something of a train wreck. :D

So, with as busy as my life is, it took a couple days to get the Studer console unloaded from the van and into my shop...I need to start a new sweetbeats “Story” thread, but as odd as it may seem, there have been a lot of times I acquire a piece of gear and the first thing I want to do is start detailing it or something as opposed to the obvious thing, which would be to power it up and see how it SOUNDS...right?? What IS that with me...anyway, something must be shifting in me a little because what’s really tugging at me is to get it powered, get a baseline high-level verification the thing functions as it was advertised to function, and then hear how it sounds...! Play some program material through it and play with the stereo width filter on a stereo channel...play with the EQ...push the gain and see what it does...try out the group compressors and master limiters...take it for a spin!!

So I did power it up, all the supplies work, and, after working out some issues stemming from my own ignorance, the need to re-seat all the modules after the trip, and implementing a recommended power-up procedure, the Studer powers up, and tone passes through all input channels and group and main outputs...that’s a good start! Really no funny business evident at this point except one of the master bus meters (Master A left) doesn’t work, but audio passes. I talked with the seller and he thought he told me...it’s been that way since he got it in 2015, but he never did anything to resolve it...may be a simple fix, and he felt really bad he didn’t share that detail. I think it was an honest oversight so we’re good. Anyway, here it is powered up with tone passing through each input channel and group and main outs...I need to get some new fans...with the three power supplies going it sounds like I’m standing next to a server rack. :D

D631701A-7147-47AC-9732-CA7564246464.jpeg

I really like this console...the fit and finish...the controls feel...professional. And it looks like...well...if the Galactic Empire fitted the Death Star with a mixing console, it might well be a Studer...it looks like Imperial badass.

0BEB7F84-5A29-4EA5-AB96-9EB1818CAD7D.jpeg

So...to be continued in a new thread here:

Studer 928 Story...

Last edited:
How did you do that? Most times I upload a pic that looks fine on my device but is then all jacked up as a thumbnail in the thread...it looks fine if you tap on the thumbnail but the thumbnail is screwed up.

How did you do that? Most times I upload a pic that looks fine on my device but is then all jacked up as a thumbnail in the thread...it looks fine if you tap on the thumbnail but the thumbnail is screwed up.

Well "I" didn't know Beats but <rclk on image> copy image> paste to d'top>rclk> rotate image>save as on desktop. But I bet the cat can be be killed several ways?

Nice desk mate. You mentioned "mixed transformer&electronic" balancing? Is that a traff in a feedback loop, the so called "zero flux" technique?

Dave.

Well "I" didn't know Beats but <rclk on image> copy image> paste to d'top>rclk> rotate image>save as on desktop. But I bet the cat can be be killed several ways?

Nice desk mate. You mentioned "mixed transformer&electronic" balancing? Is that a traff in a feedback loop, the so called "zero flux" technique?

Dave.

Well, see, that’s the weird thing...I’m uploading from a mobile device. And on my device the images have the correct orientation natively. I upload, the thumbnail is goofy...click on the thumbnail and the image displays just fine. If I rotate and save the native image on my device so it looks *wrong* and upload the image, it’s still just as you see above. Not sure what to do except cease uploading images. I am rarely on a desktop or laptop computer...use the mobile device 95% or more of the time...and time is in short supply. I’d rather stop uploading pics than have to take the time to transfer to the laptop and upload from there...laptop is not always available, etc. etc. So if y’all don’t see anymore pics, that’s why. :eek:

Yes on the trafo...3rd winding is in the feedback loop. Pretty cool.

Well, see, that’s the weird thing...I’m uploading from a mobile device. And on my device the images have the correct orientation natively. I upload, the thumbnail is goofy...click on the thumbnail and the image displays just fine. If I rotate and save the native image on my device so it looks *wrong* and upload the image, it’s still just as you see above. Not sure what to do except cease uploading images. I am rarely on a desktop or laptop computer...use the mobile device 95% or more of the time...and time is in short supply. I’d rather stop uploading pics than have to take the time to transfer to the laptop and upload from there...laptop is not always available, etc. etc. So if y’all don’t see anymore pics, that’s why. :eek:

Yes on the trafo...3rd winding is in the feedback loop. Pretty cool.

No! Keep the pikkies coming!! WE can sort them this end. I don't have an "iThang" but it looks more and more likely I shall have to get one.

Dave.

Back