Heres my setup...

waverz

I am going to be recording my band next week. We are a 5 peice black/death metal band and will be recoding a DEMO in my basement using the following gear.

PC
Behringer ADDA Convertor
Echo Gina 24/96

As far as mics go i have

2 Radio Shack clip on instrument mics
2 Radio Shack Omni Directionals
2 Sure SM57's
And some other misc. vocal mics

I know radio shack mics suck ass but its all i got to work with at this point.

What i am thinking is for drums, just to keep it REAL simple and use the omni directionals above the kit and use triggers on the kicks, and mic the snare with the sm57.

As far as the rest of the intruments go i will just mic cabs or run line out from their FX, possibly both.

Vocals just go straight in.

Sounds easy enough.

I will let you know how it goes.

for drums . this is cheap. try two cad gxl mics xy above kit(50 bucks each). trigger samples of kik and snare. if you cant get a great sound.....work on the tuning of the drums. their heads, and the room sound.peace.

The noise to signal ratio on Radio Shack mics are horrible. The best thing you have working for you are the SM57s. In all honesty, I would rely on those for most of your recording.

You might want to try recording individual instruments and overdubbing, versus a live recording.

Reserve your SM57s for either your snare and kick drum or your snare and main vocals. I wouldn't normally recommend SM57s for kick, but it'll work out best for what you have.

As for the other mics, use them on your second priority instruments. If those instrument mics are condensers, they'll probably be best for overheads on your drums.

It's limited, but you can pull off a recording. Good luck.

Back