help

Hi Andy and welcome. I have not used Cubase for many years (Cubase ESS 3) but do recall it was a lot more 'fussy' to work with than other DAWs I have since used. There are however several Cubase fans and experts here so I am sure help is at hand.

However !! They are going to need a LOT more information! What are you trying to record? Vocals via an AI? Which AI? How are you monitoring recordings? Can you hear Radio and YT sounds via the AI?

My standard suggestion in these cases is that you install Audacity. That is about as simple a DAW as you can get and everybody here knows how to work it. Once you can record, save, edit and play stuff in Audacity you will know that your whole audio chain is intact and working and you can then explore Cubase with confidence.

Dave.

ecc83 is right, Bennie.
What interface are you using?
Does it play anything?
You have to set up the track inputs and outputs to the channels of your interface.
Is the interface driver installed?

I'm a die-hard cubase user since 1994 - on an Atari in black and white!

Tell us what you have - pc or Mac, what interface (although cubase will work happily on whatever audio driver you have.

If you have installed SE, it's quite competent - but it does need a few things setting. On first load, it might ask you which audio interface you want to use, but if there is only one, it should grab it - but NOT always.

I assume you've created an empty project? If not that's what you do. Then studio tab in the top menu bar and select audio connections. Set the input and output devices and that should be enough to start with.

First thing is playback. file/import/audio file find an audio file on your computer. mp3, wav, it doesn't matter. if you see a waveform, try to play it. if noise comes out - you know the output is connected. If it doesn't, cubase will be trying to talk to the wrong device in most cases. That's a computer thing, rather than cubase.

If sound plays, then check the inspector box to the left of the main screen - this is a critical area where ins and outs for each track appear. So create a new audio track, pick stereo to be going with, and in the inspector, set whatever input you have available from whatever you have connected. It will probably say stereo in, and stereo out. make sure the red record button is red in the grey title box in the new track, and hit record. It will record. If it doesn't report back and tell us any differences from what Ive described.

Andy, I have small book called "Cubase 4 tips and tricks" I think most of it relates to all the versions? Send me a PM with an address and I shall post it to you.

Dave.

Back