Help

amazon

Hi,

Recently I bought "Komplete audio 6" interface. I would like to combine with exiting devices and Komplete Audio 6. Please someone advise me what type of cables require to connect ( and where ) to get a better performance for current setup.

Desktop Computer = ASUS G10AC
Guitar = Electric Yamaha Guitar
Software = Window 10, Cubase AI
Amp = Yamaha THR5A (Connections : INPUT (Standard Mono Phone), PHONES (Standard Stereo Phone), AUX IN (Stereo Mini), USB Speakers : 8cm Full Range x 2 )
Audio Interface = Komplete Audio 6 Komplete : Audio Interfaces : Komplete Audio 6 : Specifications | Products
Microphone = AT2020 USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone (USB Power (5V DC), OUTPUT CONNECTOR USB-type)
Speaker = Altec Lansing Octane 7 (CONNECTIONS 3.5mm stereo)

Who sold you that lot! Ok, joke but. You should not have bought a USB microphone with that interface. I have a KA6 and it is one of the best AIs around for the money IMO or a lot more.

I do have a PC with W10 on it and the KA6 worked on a quick test but I have not had the time to investigate further.

So, is the interface working ok atmo? That is, can you play out Ytube or CD sounds? If so plug the guitar into the "High Z" instrument input and see if you can record it.

I am not familiar with that guitar amp but there is a guitar "department" at HR so I am sure someone will be. You will probably be told to trade the USB mic in for a Shure SM57! Not that there is anything much wrong with USB mics, they have their place but not in conjunction with an interface and probably not the best thing to put in front of an amp.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share all of that great information with me. As you mentioned, I totally agreed with you about USB mic issue. I wrote email to Audio-Technica Support since two day ago.so far AI is seem to be working fine with window 10 but last night crushed one time after finished window update. I can listen music from front panel phone (1/4 Jack) port but just concerning about the quality of the sound. When Guitar cable connect direct (without AMP) to Input I can hear but haven't test for recording. Due to lack of knowledge in this area, I still need to further study about type of cables, heads etc .. sigh. Thanks. Hopefully I can link all of my device together.

Hi Dave,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share all of that great information with me. As you mentioned, I totally agreed with you about USB mic issue. I wrote email to Audio-Technica Support since two day ago.so far AI is seem to be working fine with window 10 but last night crushed one time after finished window update. I can listen music from front panel phone (1/4 Jack) port but just concerning about the quality of the sound. When Guitar cable connect direct (without AMP) to Input I can hear but haven't test for recording. Due to lack of knowledge in this area, I still need to further study about type of cables, heads etc .. sigh. Thanks. Hopefully I can link all of my device together.

You are very welcome. The KA6 is usually very stable but you never know what Msoft are going to throw at us! The Restore function is still in W10 I understand? Just needs a bit of searching out.

As with many USB AIs it is best to give the KA6 its own, dedicated USB port (had no trouble with USB 3.0 ports BTW but that on W7) i.e. one of a pair and leave the other port empty. Also use a good quality USB cable and never longer than 3mtrs.

DI into a high Z input will never sound that good. The function is a convenience to get a clean "raw" guitar sound for further processing.

The hooking up of other gear. Do not worry, you can connect any audio output to any other audio input without danger of damage. The exception is the speaker output of a power, say guitar, amplifier. Here the energies are large and can do damage or even harm the amplifier.
Audio cables are simple things. DO NOT pay silly money for them. Look for a decent gauge of cable, e.g. around 6mm for a guitar lead and good quality connectors. Neutrik and Switchcraft are the top bllx but cheaper ones are fine for light, HR use.

As an example, for a 3mtr guitar or XLR mic cable I would expect to pay $10 US, 10 Euros or £10 Sterling (yes, WE get shafted for everything electronic!). I COULD and did make my own of course (V hard now) and you should learn to do same if recording and music is going to continue in your life.

Dave.

Back