help with mixing tracks and effect's please read

kostas04

ive been playing the guitar for a while now and i want to record a few songs, ive been working on this song lately and i finally made a drum track for it, now i need to record the rest , i got the guitar and bass distortions covered , i have a RP 12 which does the job decently, ok heres some info on what i use and have, i have a 1.3 ghz 256 mb ram , sound blaster live 5.1 sound card, and i use cool edit pro 2.0 , i like cool edit alot and i know how to record everythign and adjust the volume levels of everything, but when it comes to adding effects to the vocals , im just horrible at it, even with the backup vocals , it just sounds so plain , and i dont know if it my computer , but some effects wont play right when i add then , i would have to save the mix down to hear what it sounds like , that is mostly the reverb, i like to export wav tracks and edit them in goldwave, which is an awesome prob, but i feel like my lack of knowledge is keeping me from createing something great , the vocals always sound empty and i dont know how to do the backup vocals very good, and also i want to add that telephone / low fidelity effect to part of the vocals, u know like liz phair - why cant i uses in that song, but i just cant get that effect , someone told me to cut the highs and lows in the eq , i know where the eq is , i know how to adjust it something if i want to , but i dont know what the highs and lows are, i have no idea , no idea what so ever lol, i dont know what to do all i know is im really frustrated cause ive been wanting to get this done for a while and i cant cause details like this hold me back , i also dont know how manny tracks of back up vocals to have in the chorus, and how do i make the verse sound fuller, i do add some reverb or delay but other then that i dont know what to do. can someone please help me ? are their any programs that have these effects ready or something thats easy to learn , or maybe tutorials on how to get these effects. thanks for reading this i really appreciatte it.

Back